DIY 1.9
    Tarp
    HammockGear CF
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + Lafuma TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

DIY Workshops: show em off

If you fellow DIY’ers are like me at all, the word extravagant comes to mind. I will be going on deployment soon, and when I get back, I plan on building a shed/workshop for all my hammocking/DIY related stuff. No space is being allotted for yard junk or anything like that. I have full permission from the boss lady herself to let my imagination run free. Since I normally run my hammock imagination through you fine folks, I pose the question, if you had free reign to build a decent sized shed/garage strictly for a workshop and hammocking related business, how would you do it, and what type of stuff would you add? Keep in mind that I have about a 15’ x 15’ leeway here, and not much more, so I am limited in space, but I have seen some cool workshops in that small of an area. For those that already have an area to which I’m speaking, can you please snap some photos? I have six months to plan and work on this idea, so I want it to be perfect.
    Corey Miller

"Some ships are designed to sink… others require our assistance."

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Awesome predicament you're in there buddy. Sounds like you've got a great gal!

With 15x15 available, you've got lots of options. Here are some things I'd work into the plan if I was putting it together:

- 15' is a good hang length. Anchor points on two of the walls for testing a setup or rigging, or for "indoor hanging" when the mood strikes.

- Create a nice big workspace around your sewing machine to make handling all that fabric a bit easier.

- Leave a large enough area of smooth, clean, uncluttered floor space to lay out projects.

- Do you have a tree nearby? Locate the building so you can hang between the tree and a porch post or other outside anchor point.

- And just my personal preference-- Keep it rustic. This is after all, a pastime typically enjoyed in the woods!

Please let us know what you come up with, and be safe during your deployment!

-Klauss
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Shug, at some point, posted his Man Cave/Nut Hut shots and he has a heck of place! You can see much of it in his videos as well. Would be great to take a look at.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Images
    Air Force? Where are you headed.

I'm out right now and my wife has suggested building an outbuilding for a workshop, but it would be for more than just hammocking. I'm going to make a few folding kayaks for the family...

Good luck on your deployment and the follow-up projects.

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by OneEye View Post
    . . . I'm going to make a few folding kayaks for the family.
    Cool! I used to own a Folbot, great memories!

-Klauss
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

Senior Member Living the Highlife's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY 1.9
    Tarp
    HammockGear CF
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + Lafuma TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by OneEye View Post
    Air Force? Where are you headed.

I'm out right now and my wife has suggested building an outbuilding for a workshop, but it would be for more than just hammocking. I'm going to make a few folding kayaks for the family...

Good luck on your deployment and the follow-up projects.
    Navy Submariner, but can't say where I'm headed. thanks for the best wishes, I'm still a few months out now. At least I get to be here for the holidays.
    Corey Miller

"Some ships are designed to sink… others require our assistance."

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    First - thanks for your service.

+1 on anchor points
    +1 on large area to work with fabric
    I would add
    - Good lighting and windows
    - it would be nice to be able to open things up and still keep the bugs out during the summer months.

Good Luck with it.
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    I'll offer a couple of pics of my current space. I'm working on the walls, (plaster,) and it's messy sooo... It's about 12 x 14 I think.

Definitely recommend a place to hang and a "test" the equipment. Preferably including a blanket and a place for books or other reading material. You know, for the full effect.

Shelving. Can't have too much shelving.

I repurposed an old computer desk as my sewing table. Works for me.

I can get the hammock out the way and use the floor for some things, but it'a a little cramped. If I'm cutting anything big I have to use the dining room or something. I can't keep this place cleared out enough...
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    It won't be perfect. Get that image out of your head. You will be forced to deal with competing problems. Total space versus practical building size. Storage space versus workspace. You _need_ at a bare minimum a decent sized table. That will depend on what you want to do. If you plan on doing a lot of tarps you will want a bigger table than if you are going to be doing gathered end hammocks and quilts. You will want at least 3 feet all the way around the table. Any more is not required and any less is awkward. Parts storage will grow as you take on more projects so that will need to be expandable. You will need a dedicated space for the sewing machine with enough space to work effective. Leave some room behind the machine so the work can slide off the table and on to a covered clean floor area. Fabric stock takes a whole lot of room depending on how much you want on hand and how you organize the new stock and the remnants/larger pieces you want to keep.

How you juggle all these basics is really entirely up to you. Then you can add the additional goodies... A place to do the silicon coating for the DIY silnyl you want to use. Storage space for down giving you a weather protected high volume loose storage area for both the final products and the down waiting to be stuffed. Oh yes... the balance and compromises you will have to juggle when you actually get around to planning and building this shop will give you ample time to brush up on your less than safe for office language. But it should be fun. Have a good time.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End 1.9
    Tarp
    STS 10x10 Escapist
    Insulation
    DIY Full Length UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Straps
    Here's a previous thread started some time ago that has some photos of workshops

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ight=workshops

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast