Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

shell colors for underquilts

I tried a search but did not have much luck.

I am just wondering about UQ color availability for the JRB series. I am hoping that some more stealthy colors were acquired. I don't necessarily HATE the green shells that seem to be on all of them but I was just hoping more options might be available by now.

I am tackling the my TQ as a DIY project (coming out nicely so far I might add) but I dont really know if I am up to doing the UQ up to par. The whole differential baffles thing has me a little intimidated.

Adam

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    I am just wondering about UQ color availability for the JRB series. I am hoping that some more stealthy colors were acquired. I don't necessarily HATE the green shells that seem to be on all of them but I was just hoping more options might be available by now.
    You aren't alone in that. It has often been remarked that a more subdued color for their quilts would be preferable. So far, though, the black Stealth model is the only non-green offering from them.

Have you considered a Speer? Ed does offer a nice dark green option for the SnugFit, PeaPod, and TopQuilt.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I think the differential baffles sound intimidating, but it is just a smidge more difficult than your TQ. The only JRB with DB is the Mt Washington anyhow.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    If you are making a baffled quilt, that is, one that is not "sewn through" the only difference between that and a differential baffle is math. The spacing of the differential baffle is what makes the difference. There is virtually no difference in construction technique between a flat baffled quilt and a differential baffle. Cutting the material and spacing the stitch lines is different, but that's about it. If you can sew the one, you can sew the other. I am quite sure there are patterns and guides available to assist in the cutting and spacing.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    All JRB quilts are easily reversed for "Black side out use", on all but HH....If you have a HH and want it to also be reverible simply contact JRB and the necesarry reversing ladder loops will be added free of charge....

FWIW, We are considering making all the standard size family of quilts reversible for 2009...

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Images
    he was referring to differential cut. when you say all your quilts are reversable are you reffering to the mt was too? i don't see how that is possible???
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 10-29-2008 at 10:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    All JRB quilts are easily reversed for "Black side out use", on all but HH....If you have a HH and want it to also be reverible simply contact JRB and the necesarry reversing ladder loops will be added free of charge....

FWIW, We are considering making all the standard size family of quilts reversible for 2009...

Pan
    Wouldn't that require free magic/velcro on both sides of the Nest?

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    ALCON,

Edited post #5 to clarify that all the standard sized quilts, those that are nominally 48x78, are reversible....

TAK, No additional omni tape is need.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I am on here lurking all the time and I can’t believe how some of you guys (you know who you are...lol) never seem to tire of hammock talk!

Thank you for your obsession!

AngrySparro
    , First of all, I love the color of the Speer models. They look fantastic and must be because I have not read one bad thing about them...but. I might be a picky, uninformed noob, but they seem a little heavy to me. The Speer website shows the SF UQ, the one I am most interested in, weighing 29-32 oz with 12oz of down. That ration just seems a little high to me. That is probably due to its length of 79” (not sure). Even though I am tall I don’t think I would need something that long. I am happy to throw another insulating material under my feet if I have to.

Ramblinrev
    , I am getting through the sewing of the TQ without too many issues I suppose. My baffles are every 6 in and are @ 2in wide so will end up being maybe 2.5 overstuffed. I just need to get some down now. Is anyone doing any bulk ordering of down anytime soon? Also, it seems the only place I can find any of it that looks decent is at the thru-hiker and Speer sites. Top quality stuff to be sure but I am always looking for options (read: things are a little tight right now so I’m trying to find a really good deal).
    I could probably sew the UQ I am just nervous because I am a new DIYer that needs to try to get it right the first time because I cant afford the kind of mistakes that make DIY projects turn into a bad financial decision… I guess you are not the only one that rambles….

Pan
    , I do have a HH but for now that I will be using but I do not necessarily want to be limited to the slit design. I am pretty agile and think I could make any UQ work. As far as colors go, the black side is much better than the green side as far as being subdued. A more earthy or toned down green or brown would be nice too… I know, I want to have my cake and eat it too! Have you guys over there at JRB discussed ¾ UQ yet? I am sure you have posted here on HF about that and I just missed it.

Sorry about the long post guys (and gals) but I don’t post here often and so it just all came out…lol. Thanks for getting though it.
    Adam

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Stormcrow,et al,

Ref a 3/4 UQ.... we kick the idea around every now and then....Can't get passed the limit of single function, minimal savings, and minimal market.... but if a few folks really want one ....We may consider a limited run of a 3/4 uq as a special order some day.... If you are interested in one, let us know, any responses will undoubtedly go into determining the run size.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast