Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Choosing a hammock: Woodsman X and Blackbird differences

First of, I hope this is the right place for this post, and that it's not too redundant.

I've been spending the weekend researching which hammock to get, both here on the forum and the rest of the internet. I've decided that I want to go for either the Woodsman X or the Blackbird, (I'm in europe and these are both sold from the uk which makes it easier and cheaper).
    Now there's no shortage of information and reviews on the Blackbird, but info on the Woodsman X is much more limited. Hopefully some of you guys can help me out with the differences between these two hammocks and the potential effects on my experience.

now for the actual questions:

1: "enclosedness"
    I really don't know the word for this, but it seems to me that the major difference between the two, is that the blackbird has a higher edge, giving a more enclosed hammock.
    i guess this gives better protection against the elements, and maybe a better lay or at least a more secure feeling (not lying on the "edge"). But it also seems to take away quite a bit of the view from inside the hammock. Is that the case, and if so is it worth it?

2: the footbox
    I really like the idea of the adjustable footbox in the woodsman. But having never tried a hammock with any footbox, I'm not sure if it actually makes a difference or the blackbird design will conform to my shape anyway. And if the fact that there's less fabric is a problem.
    In short: How much of a difference is there between the footboxes, or they just different paths to (more or less) the same result?

3: Size
    I'm a fairly large guy, 6,2 and a bit over 200 pounds, which should be fine for both, but about 55 in around the shoulders, which I'm more worried about especially as I like to turn and move around quite a bit while sleeping. From what I've read the blackbird should be able to accomodate me, but does anyone have experience with the woodsman?

Finally I'm not really going to be using it till the spring, is there any reason to wait til then with the purchase (new models coming out or better pricing)?

Wow that ended up being a lot larger than planned -
    Anyway I hope some of you guys can help me choose the right hammock for me. can't wait to get hanging!

Tahlas

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie&Dutchstuff
    Hi Tahlas,

Crimsonshadow has a BB and has just bought a Woodsman x. Hopefully he'll see your post and chime in. If not, drop him a PM, I'm sure he could answer your questions.

Atb

Mark

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I don't own a woodsman, so I can't comment on the comparison, but I will say that I never really understood why people worry so much about the fact that your view to one side is blocked in the Blackbird. I use my hammock for sleeping - if I am awake enough to care about the view, I can sit upright in it, lounge chair style, and have all the view in the world.

Images
    the height of the edge of the hammock would mainly be determined by the hammock's width and length and to some degree the ridgeline ratio. 2 hammocks of the same length and width will generally have a wall of the same height on the side where your feet lay. there's no special design of the blackbird that causes the wall on your right to be any higher than it would be on another hammock of similar dimensions

Hammock
    Woodsman X, Blackbird Dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    Mambajamba, DD 3X3
    Insulation
    Ukhammocks UQ,TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Webbing
    Images
    I prefer the woodsmanx over the BB. To answer you questions the you get more of a view from the woodsman as the zip is on the bugnet, where as there's an extra 2 inches of fabric on the BB. The foot box is similar but you have the ability to adjust it. to suit you which I like. As for the shoulders both hammocks are nice and wide so it shouldn't be a problem. On a side note I'm guessing BB in dbl 1.7? The woodsman is made of 1.5 which has a little more stretchy and I feel it "hugs" you which I prefer. Overall they're both great hammocks! You won't be dissapointed with either!

If you have any more questions please PM me im happy to help.

hope that helps

Hammock
    Tarp
    Mambajamba, DD 3X3
    Insulation
    Ukhammocks UQ,TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Webbing
    Images
    Apologies for the grammar im using my phone.

Images
    the extra fabric between the main body and the netting is there for a reason. it allows the netting to sit higher above your face giving more head room if you want it, this is mainly helpful if you lay with your head very close to the edge.

if you do not find this extra headroom to be needed, you can pitch the netting guyline downward at a steeper angle to the ground. you have the option of pitching the edge of the netting down to your ear if you want it that low, and if you find that it's riding higher than you like it, just remember that it is adjustable and can be lowered or raised depending on how you stake it out.
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 09-24-2012 at 18:14.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Just putting this out there but I prefer the shelf on the WBBB to a ridgeline organizer. I don't have a Woodsman X but I have used ridgeline organizers. For me the shelf on the BB is more easily accessible and it holds more. I sleep with a down pillow and a small thermarest sit pad under my lower legs. When setting up and getting in and out, the shelf is great for throwing the pad and pillow in so they stay put until I get settled in my TQ and I get my UQ positioned. It also holds my phone, ipod, a book, a spare hat in winter among other things.

One thing about the woodsman X I am curious about. On the BB there is a black piece of nylon that reinforces a stress point. On the woodsman X its where the adjustable footbox is connected. Is there any stress on that connection and is it reinforced? When I'm in my BB I can see the stress on that fabric and was wondering if that is an issue at all on the woodsman X?
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hi Tahlas

I am not very experienced with hanging and others on this forum will know much more but.

I was in exactly the same position earlier this year, I could not decide between the two hammocks and I am in an area probably like you where there is not option to test before buying.

I eventually decided on the Woodsman X, I like it for the reason that it is very light weight, less than 500g or 17 oz with everything, bug net, tree straps etc. and also it compacts really small. I will go against the grain here and say that I am more comfortable in it with a full length pad (blow up) than without, maybe because of the light weight fabric, I dont know. I am 85kg (187 pounds) with you at 200 pounds you will be at the limit for the single layer.
    I am comfortable in the hammock but do not use the foot sag cord other than to help hold up the bug net, it did not seem to make any comfort difference for me, i could be wrong but in my mind a foot box needs added or recut material. I have never seen a foot box and might be doing something wrong.
    But here is the twist, I am happy with the Woodsman X but the more reading and research I do the Warbonned BB comes up again and again and again, I will never see one unless I buy one so that is what I will do!

If you have any specific questions about the Woodsman X let me know

Hammock
    Tarp
    Mambajamba, DD 3X3
    Insulation
    Ukhammocks UQ,TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Webbing
    Images
    I agree with bubba on the BB shelf it's nice and handy, but I got one of mat's edc hammocks and I use that as a gear loft! Weighs nothing and holds everything even your pack!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast