Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Hammock
    Raven by Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Suspension
    Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I think these musicians that were executed in the movie ( and based on a real life incident) were either deserters or draft dodgers, so a hiding area near Mt.Sterling probably fits right in to that.

EDIT: OK, here it is. This is very close to the story presented in "Cold Mountain::

http://www.rodsguide.com/mt_sterling_hike.htm
    "From Knoxville or Asheville, take exit 451 (Waterville) off of Interstate 40. Proceed to the extremely small township of Mt. Sterling (a little over two miles), where you will encounter a four-way intersection. Take a left and proceed 6.7 miles to Mt. Sterling Gap and the trailhead.
    Mt. Sterling Gap is one of the more historic gaps in the Smoky Mountains. The most famous story associated with the spot occurred near the end of the Civil War. Captain Albert Teague was a confederate scout who spent most of his time keeping an eye on Union sympathizers in east Tennessee and western North Carolina. He also spent time watching for outliers (war deserters) of draft age. One fateful day, Teague captured three such outliers: George Grooms, his brother Henry Grooms, and a simpleton named Mitchell Caldwell. The three were forced to march on foot from Big Creek to somewhere in the vicinity of Mt. Sterling Gap (the actual location varies from one account to the next). Henry Grooms, a talented fiddle player, had been forced to carry his fiddle during the long march. His captors commanded him to play one last tune on his fiddle before they executed him, and Grooms fittingly chose the tune "Bonaparte’s Retreat;" the haunting melody is called "The Grooms Tune" in many parts of the mountains to this day. Upon completing his performance, Henry Grooms asked his captors if he could pray for a moment before they killed him. George Grooms is said to have died cursing the scouts. Mitchell Caldwell, who was described as a slow-witted man, simply grinned at his captors, so unnerving them that they were forced to cover his face with a hat before they could bring themselves to execute him. Teague’s scouts left the three bodies at the side of the road. Eventually, Henry Grooms’ wife, Eliza, and a Sutton boy took the bodies back to Big Creek by ox-sled, where they were buried in the Sutton Cemetery."

http://www.lib.utk.edu/smokies/images/colloquy.8.2.pdf

And this is a good link!
    http://www.angelfire.com/mo/groomsfa.../groomtune.htm
    "Played on the fiddle in a minor key it is a sad tune. Dogs howl whenever it is being played. The treble notes seem to cry out, "Fare you well. Farewell". All three bodies were left lying in the road, near a bullet scarred tree. House later, HenryŐs wife, Eliza, a Sutton boy and others came with an ox hitched to a sled and carried them back across the mountain.
    They were buried in the same common grave in a single pine coffin in a cemetery known as "Sutton Family Cemetery Number One". It is located on the waters of Big Creek in the Cataloochee Section of Mt. Stirling.
    L. A. Sies, USN (Ret), 2220 East 10th St.,
    National City, CA 92050.
    Addendum by Marvin Grooms: Shortly after reading the attached story my wife and I took a second honey-moon to the area and visited Dollywood. Dolly Parton has used the amusement park to provide work for many of family friends and neignbors. There is a small museum about her life in the mountains as a child and her later career. Imagine my surprise when I looked into one of the glass cases and found THE fiddle which figured in the Grooms Tune story! It was passed down to her Grandpa Jake Owens by his G-Grandfather, Solomon Grooms and has been in her family for over 100 years. So, not only does she have THE fiddle, she is also connected to the Grooms family too.".
    Good reading! I love the history of Smokies. I want to read the book Our Southern Highlands by Horace Kephart. It be so cool hiking through smokies and knowing what was there before you.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Speaking of the Dirigible, the second gen. HNO Graf Hindenberg shipped today!

I liked this one so much I decided to keep it

Looks like a great trip. Thanks for sharing the video

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Where's Wisenber when you need him, I think he knows more about Kephart than anyone I know.
    So when every body was brushing up on the history of the area did you read about bison crossing Mt.Sterling Gap on migratory routes? Maybe a flight of my imagining but I know they crossed much further up in Shenandoah Nat.Park. I know these were the much smaller woods bison, small compared to the plains 'buffalo', but I'd still like to witness that.....probably more than an execution I mean was his fiddle playing that bad
    Speaking of humor, I don't know if I appreciated Hangnout's attempt just now!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    MM; Thanks for another fun video and thanks very much for the explanation of your adjustable seep line. I'm still figuring it out. I didn't get to watch the whole vid till tonight because i was preoccupied with a visit to the hospital over the last couple of days. Nothing serious i don't think. Sedatives are fun,,,except i can't remember anything (-; . I realized that you must have the biggest gear closet. Good to see you and Poof doing so much testing and getting out sooo often,,,as brucie would say, "good on ya".
    Thanks MM

bill
    aka-
    mbiraman
    mm-beer-ah-man (-;
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

mbiraman==fingers crossed nothing serious for you. If I can do more vid to explain more just say the word!

Hammock
    Thunderbird11ft DL
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    20 UGQ Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Great Video!!!!
    Psalm 50:1 The Mighty One, God, the Lord, speaks and calls the earth from the rising of the sun to its setting.
    Old Dominion Hangers: Secretary
    First Annual Powhatan Hang and Work - April 17-19, 2015

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    Thanks again for another great vid, MM and Poof! You guys get around! I still think the Alaska videos you two did topped 'em all! I will have to watch this one again to figure-out the references to all the gear, but loved just "being there" the first look-see.

Keep hangin', keep hikin'!

~ Sky
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

Hammock
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Thanks Sky! and every body for the kind words as always.
    There will be another Alaska vid next October (if we live)....polar bears are next Just booked the trip-had to book almost a year in advance it fills so quickly. So that was an awesome trip for us but some of my best trips ever have been right in my backyard on Roan Mountain. You don't have to go far to get the connection if your minds right.

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Equinox 10 X 12
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season UQ
    Thanks MM. Fine video...The opening music really tied in to the scene of the Elk. Almost as if he was acting the part for you. I have been up to Sterling twice now and ran across the elk as well. Watching this has given me the bug to see it again. Also, its kind of interesting for me to see the Cook cabin and all the Cooks buried in the cemetery. Not sure if its a branch of my family.
    "Sometimes only nature felt real, while all human monuments and actions seemed to be the settings and the plots of dreams"

"So many people live in the past or the future and betray the present."

Hammock
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

Thanks Cookie

We'll return to Mt.Sterling one more time when we do it from the Deep Creek side. I'm glad the vid has motivated you to plan a return trip! That area and Balsam are two of my favorites in the park. That would be very cool if you have roots in the park.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234