Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    That sounds pretty fun...I might have to get into biking so I can cover more miles and see more sights when I camp with the kids. Might have to wait until they can work the gears though - big hills on a bike with no gears ain't much fun!
    If you want something you and the kids can do that isn't too punishing, look into the C&O Towpath. It runs from D.C. to Cumberland, Maryland, 180 miles. I did it last year but made the mistake of taking the tent because I didn't know what to expect from the camping areas. There's nice trees at all for hanging. Which would be best as all the grass has been worn off by over use in the more populated areas. The path is hard packed gravel and follows the canal along the Potomac. Fatter tires would be nicer but I did it on 700c 28's with no problem. And it's level except for a 4 or 5 ft rise at every lock.
    If you must choose between two evils, opt for the one you've never tried before

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    Like funbun, I'm another recumbent bike rider who builds his own rides.

mysite.verizon.net/teblum
    follow the recumbent link

Here in Central Florida, we have quite a few Rails to Trails multi use paths.

I have a night time ride, once a month that starts 75 miles from my home. I can ride there on bike paths except for about 20 miles on a four lane divided highway that has a good shoulder.

I can't ride 75 miles in a day, so, an overnight with a stealth camp somewhere before the 50 mile mark would be required. That kind of scares me, although I would camp off of the trail and should be able to get out of sight.

New point: All the fuss about covering the bike seems silly to me. On previous tours (Like the Florida Safari --450ish miles in a week), everyone leaves their bike out and tents. The more conciencious riders cover the seat.

That's my 2 cents

Tom

Images
    Man, you guys make my Trek 4700 mountain bike look like one of those little pink ones with training wheels and tassles hanging out of the handlebars.

BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You said you weren't gonna tell anybody about the training wheels and tassles. I guess you come out about the sewing machine and now you have ALL the confidence you need to show the true you.

Some things are better left unsaid.

(Now if you had pink tassles on your hammock...)
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Hahahahaha. Guess I have to do something to keep all those girls at my house entertained. But, I wasnt the one talking about buying pink camo or sewing a ruffle on the bottom of my hammock (although, I may have to make one like that to get my oldest daughter in the woods). BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by teblum View Post
    New point: All the fuss about covering the bike seems silly to me. On previous tours (Like the Florida Safari --450ish miles in a week), everyone leaves their bike out and tents. The more conciencious riders cover the seat.

That's my 2 cents

Tom
    It depends on where I'm at as to whether I cover the bike or not. I have a lot of chrome on my bike and the panniers have reflective strips all over them. If I'm close to a road I cover it just to keep car lights from making it glow in the dark. If I'm in a camp ground or way off into the woods I don't worry about it unless it's calling for rain. My Brooks saddle always gets covered.
    Last edited by btourer; 04-06-2007 at 09:33.

I haven't tried touring with a hammock yet but it's my intention. I picked up a touring bike last month in with the 20% off plus dividend at REI. All I need now is bags and I'm ready to roll.

Another poster mentioned doing the first section of the underground RR. I think I'm going to give the Potomac Tidewater Trail a go.

-Rob
    One day when I grow up...

Images
    I put the Arkel panniers on mine. They're well made but pricey. I met a guy with some Lone Peaks last year and they were really nice. Plus you can get a whole set for what I paid for my rear bags. I'd probably change the mounts, which I did on the Arkels also. But then I pretty much modify every thing I buy.
    Go see: http://www.thetouringstore.com

Quote Originally Posted by btourer View Post
    I put the Arkel panniers on mine. They're well made but pricey. I met a guy with some Lone Peaks last year and they were really nice. Plus you can get a whole set for what I paid for my rear bags. I'd probably change the mounts, which I did on the Arkels also. But then I pretty much modify every thing I buy.
    Go see: http://www.thetouringstore.com
    Yeah, Lone Peak has caught my eye for a while now. Arkels seem to have creeped up in price over the years, not sure why.

I bought a set of Arkel Hooks and made my own panniers out of plastic buckets. I called them the Buckets of Doom. They got me through graduate school, lol.

I want to make a set of bags for my recumbent bike. Most pannier are design to increase foot clearance, but on a recumbent that isn't a problem. So I plan to make a set of bags that is more longitudinal than most panniers.

Images
    Those buckets aren't the prettiest things but if they work they work:-) I didn't like the Arkel mounts because they rattled and the shock cords let the bottom of the bags flap like wings. I don't like weight shifting, especially when I'm coming off the mountains at high speed. I took some 1/8 x 1 aluminum and made some hooks and used webbing strap to cinch the bags to the rack. The webbing is held tight to the bottom of the bag by a plastic strip. It's a lot more solid and I took 1 1/2 lbs off the bike.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast