Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Images
    i went from hiking to canoeing years ago..but after reading this i might just try some stealth /hammock/ bike trips ..it would open up a lot of new area to me..and give me lots more chances to hang...thanks guys

One of the great things that I've picked up recently is the Sub-24 Overnighter (S24O). Basically riding to work on my touring bike then heading out for one night and returning the next morning. I have one big state park about 10 miles from my house so this is perfect. Get out there before sunset, set up camp, relax or fish in the lake for an hour, sleep, and return home the next morning.

I usually don't take a change of clothes, just my sleeping gear, a book, and other small camp essentials. Sometimes I take a cookset or sometimes I stop and pick up dinner on the way out there. It's great when I don't have a big trip coming up but just want a little bit of adventure and an evening of sleeping outdoors. Very refreshing.

Images
    Short camping trips are good for a number of reasons, I use them for stress management mostly. But they're also good for tweeking your set up. Whether your hiking or biking, tenting or hanging, a long trip is no place to find out things aren't working for you like you'd like them to.
    I help out people that are heading cross country on the TransAm every year. 4500 miles over two months normally. Some know what they're doing and some just got this "IDEA" and thought "Wow, This would be fun!" I'm sure you run into this on the trails too. I've seen people fly in with new bikes and new camping gear they've never riden or used before. It's like a disaster waiting to happen.
    If you must choose between two evils, opt for the one you've never tried before

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by funbun View Post
    Okay, how do you store your hammock while riding?....
    Quote Originally Posted by btourer
    The right front pannier is all shelter system. Hammock, hex fly, 11x10 diamond fly, straps, stakes and ground cloth. After hanging the hammock....
    Great way to get back on topic, guys...thanks for making it easy.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

I wonder if you had snake skins if you could just wrap the hammock around the bike frame?

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    How about an integrated hammock-bike? The frame could act as a spreader bar for the hammock...
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by funbun View Post
    I wonder if you had snake skins if you could just wrap the hammock around the bike frame?
    I don't know if I'd try that. If something worked loose and got into the spokes you could wind up with some ugly looking road rash.
    If you must choose between two evils, opt for the one you've never tried before

Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    How about an integrated hammock-bike? The frame could act as a spreader bar for the hammock...
    Check out this Greenspeed GTR. It basically has a hammock seat. Greenspeed make really good trikes. I wish I had the money to buy one.

See one in action: http://www.greenspeed.com.au/movies.html

Bacchetta has the Euromesh seat which is basically a hammock seat with an open cell foam pad.
    Last edited by funbun; 04-12-2007 at 20:52.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by btourer View Post
    Short camping trips are good for a number of reasons, I use them for stress management mostly. But they're also good for tweeking your set up. Whether your hiking or biking, tenting or hanging, a long trip is no place to find out things aren't working for you like you'd like them to.
    I help out people that are heading cross country on the TransAm every year. 4500 miles over two months normally. Some know what they're doing and some just got this "IDEA" and thought "Wow, This would be fun!" I'm sure you run into this on the trails too. I've seen people fly in with new bikes and new camping gear they've never riden or used before. It's like a disaster waiting to happen.
    Hmmm... why does this sound so familiar? Well, at least they're out there trying and doing it instead of sitting around on the couch at home, you've got to give them credit for that.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    I met several people who stake the wheels of their bike and add guylines to hold it up. Then pitch a tarp off the side and use the bike frame as the ridge for a leanto or a-frame. Works pretty well and if the tarp is big enough it will cover the bike also.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast