Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just finished my UQ. Hex Tarp in progress. What about TQ?

Hi all,

I've been reading here for a while but not much posts as you can see . I made a gathered end hammock with whoopie slings, which I've been using on my 12 floor balcony pretty much every evening while reading Hyperion . However it started getting cold, so this weekend I made myself an Insultex Underquilt. Being my second sewing project (first one was the hammock), I'm happy with it. I think the smallest (top) layer is a little larger than it should be, because the quilt doesn't really "curve" as the ones I see on the photos, but a quick test few minutes ago was promising. Got that nice heat feeling on my back .

Here is some photo material from that:

As you can see, I still have to finish the suspension. I read about triangle thingies, will probably make a couple of them (any good guides?).

Now I'm working on a hex tarp with silnylon. I need to do the outer hem and reinforcements for the tie outs to have it finished.

Now the problem is, what do I do for top protection? We are mostly a tent couple (the other half doesn't want to sleep alone), so we have only one double bag, but I decided to start going in the woods solo, thus the hammock gear (you guys are great here!).

So here are the requirements.

Has to be cheap. The cost of that underquilt was really nice! (sub $50, I think). If I can stay within that amount it would be great.

Has to keep me alive. I have a full set of merino wool base layer (long johns, long sleeve top, socks) from minus33 (medium) which I will be using when it is cold out, and I don't plan to go out in the woods in sub 30F weather.

It would be nice, if it is light too, of course, but I can live with a bit heavier.

So what do you guys think, would my minus33 wool base layer + 3 layer IX top quilt (similar to the UQ) be enough to let me have a nice sleep outside in down to 30F weather? I usually don't need much insulation to sleep comfy and I don't sweat, so breathability is not a factor for me at all.

Anyway, I hate you guys for infecting me with the hammock/diy/sewing virus!
    Keep it coming

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I have a DIY top quilt made from IX and it doesn't keep me wam and makes me sweat. I believe IX works for underquilts because gravity keeps the spaces open between the layers. In top quilt mode, gravity is collapsing those spaces and it doesn't seem to work.

I would highly recommend that your top quilt be made from Climashield or Primaloft. Synthetics are a little heavier and take up more volume than down, but they are inexpensive and very easy to sew.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    IX is basically a polyethylene foam sheet, which functions as a vapor barrier, and why is doesn't do well for a TQ. MAD is right about going sythetic for a cheap TQ. You might try modifying sleeping bag to use as a TQ. Just take the zipper out (for comfort and to prevent snagging the hammock). You can get fancy and taper the sides and sew a foot box in it. I did this for the kids with their rectangle sleeping bags. Works great, and cheap too.

Your UQ looks great. Keep the projects coming. Now for a second hammock and spreader bars to hang next to each other under the same tarp.

So it looks like I'll need something like 3 yards of climashield (5oz?) + 6 yards of ripstop nylon and some cord for the foot box. I need to find a good source of clamshield now.

Thanks again. I'll be heading out in 2 weeks, so need to have my TQ and tarp ready by then!!

Hammock
    DIY headessey
    Tarp
    blackcat
    Insulation
    primaloft tq/uq
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    Images
    Someone has some beautiful gingher scissors!
    --If a cow laughs hard, does milk come out its nose?

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Very nice work. Nice injector too.

Thanks, the scissors are probably the best piece of my sewing equipment! Just phenomenal. The singer seems to work very well too, though I've only used the straight stich...

So I did some number crunching. 3 yards of climashield + 6 yards of nylon + shipping will set me back about $100. I take it there is no cheaper option?
    How about if I get something like http://www.ebay.com/itm/Down-Lite-23...item589633601a

If the listing can be believed and in fact has 1lb of 525 down, that should be enough for me to make ~2.5" loft 72x45 top quilt.

I do have some left over netting for bugnet, and then I might be able to stay under $50?

That's what happens when you get a nice thread injector and nice gingher scissors, no $ left for materials

I've been looking on ebay, target... going to goodwill tonight see if I can find some cheap down and the more I think about it, the more these $150 40F quilts from golite seem like a good idea. Chances are when all is said and done I'll spend $100 to make a top quilt which should be about the same rating and of questionable quality (not that I don't trust myself, but still ). Ah decisions, decisions.

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Suspension
    My own
    It is nice to make your own stuff. But some times it is not a $$ saver considering time and material. Definately satisfaction though.

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    I'd encourage you to at least crunch the numbers for a down quilt. Downlite has a good price on 800 FP. You're going to have about the same $ in the shells, and about the same time in the making of it. Otherwise just finding a synthetic sleeping to use a as TQ in the mean time would be the cheapest option.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast