1.4 oz Ripstop DIY
    Tarp
    5x7
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Mummy Bag
    Suspension
    10' straps

Hanging for bigger guys

OK - I've made a few DIY hammocks and think I've found the best end preparation for me so far: whipped ends.

Here's what led me to conclude that whipped ends are best for me so far... Originally, I made a channeled end DIY out of 1.4 oz rip stop. I looped amsteel through that and hung away. I also made a couple more hammocks out of 40D ACU, and a mystery heavier material from the Walmart clearance racks. Each was fitted with a chord through the quad folded channel. What I found is the chord draws the center of the hammock channel tightest into a very small radius and most of the tension applied when I laid in the hammock at this point. The material failed at this point - within the channel.

I tried the chord through the loop and wrapped it around the hammock end a couple times, kind've making a gathered end, and then hanging - similar failures in the material, but this time at the knots.

So far, the whipped end method is holding up and I think it's because the whipping helps spread the load into the material. I run a loop of chord over the whipped end in what I think is called a lark's head.

Does anyone else have any better ideas for keeping the ends intact for us bigger guys?

Hammock
    1.4 oz Ripstop DIY
    Tarp
    5x7
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Mummy Bag
    Suspension
    10' straps
    ... so now I have a serger: a White 534 Super Lock. I know nothing about these things but ACK recommended I might benefit from using one so I jumped when the opportunity presented itself. From what I understand, this will make my rolled hems a bit easier than my current process.

What else can I start practicing on?

Oh yeah, one more idea about the bound end of a hammock. I'm going to try gathering the ends (or pleating them), sewing a line across, laying a wide piece of webbing and sewing the folded assembly up. Has anyone tried this yet with or without success? It seems to me that since the hammock material itself is where the failures occur, then the webbing might fix that problem...

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123