Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images

under quilting ideas

this is what will have for camping this weekend with my son at a Cubscouts event.

bias camper
    gt tree sling
    older run bmbh
    rei lite core 1.5 3/4
    alps self inflate 1.5 full
    thermarest zrest
    army for
    several cheaper sleeping bags
    2 30 degree bags
    I am hoping my reflectix will be here (pif about a month ago)

my main questions are how can I mod my cheaper sleeping bags to fit as an underquilt?
    can I use the gt to hold a sleeping bag under the bias?
    I was planning on making a fronken bugnet but can't get my sewing machine to work.
    I can think if things but I am unsure if the will hold up. I also don't mind putting holes in my cheap sleeping bags but I would prefer to make as few as possible and have it be in the right places.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Don't poke holes in things. Wait until you have more time to think it through or get your machine to work.

It's difficult to read your shorthand. How many actual hammocks do you have? If one for each then use air mattresses/pads in them underneath you and sleep on top of them in your bags. You'll fall asleep eventually! Forget about under quilts and reflectix for now -- there will be time for that -- enjoy the time with your son -- they grow up real fast, brother.

Yes, you can use a hammock to hold things underneath but why bother? KISS: hammock, pad, sleeping bag for now, for each of you. (You're making me cry because I was so distracted as a young father. You will never have these times again.)

Hope I have not been too presumptuous.

Love You, Brother,

Mike

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    Don't poke holes in things. Wait until you have more time to think it through or get your machine to work.

It's difficult to read your shorthand. How many actual hammocks do you have? If one for each then use air mattresses/pads in them underneath you and sleep on top of them in your bags. You'll fall asleep eventually! Forget about under quilts and reflectix for now -- there will be time for that -- enjoy the time with your son -- they grow up real fast, brother.

Yes, you can use a hammock to hold things underneath but why bother? KISS: hammock, pad, sleeping bag for now, for each of you. (You're making me cry because I was so distracted as a young father. You will never have these times again.)

Hope I have not been too presumptuous.

Love You, Brother,

Mike
    when we go on hikes and I am the packmule I kiss. This is car camping and we have more supplies and time to tweek.

I have 3 hammocks for 2 people.

I try and do as much as possible with my son and daughter( 2yo not deep woods hiking or camping near water ready just yet). I know the clock is ticking on my coolness. He has been my right hand man since I used to take him with me when I was a courier ( he was 2). This world can't be worst with more love. Wish we all had more for everyone else. Thanks for your honesty.

Hammock
    HH Exped Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Burrow / Incubator
    Suspension
    WS, DBuckles
    +1 on pads under sleeping bag... not as comfy as an under quilt but worked fine for me for a full year. I did find that cutting a couple of cheap foam pads short and laying them in the hammock sideways to make a sort of taco worked better for my son - a wolf at the time who is now a webeloII and hasn't been still 10 minutes in his life.

Save the fine tuning for a 4.99oz racer!

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Then I'd say use two for your son, making it real nice for him with a makeshift double layer. But give him some work to do. There's no call for you to be the pack mule all the time. Everyone in the family needs to be equally tired at the end of the day! LOL

Put the best pad in the BIAS for yourself. You deserve it. You paid for all this stuff!

Mike

Hammock
    DIY DL 10.5' gathered with net
    Tarp
    DIY Winter or Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Rings, buckles, WS
    Images

Thumbs up

+1 on doubling up the hammocks with a pad in between. Then just have him crawl in the sleeping bag. No need to cut any holes.

Also, +1 on saving the really fine tuning for race day.

+100 on being involved with your children!

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkytxn View Post
    +1 on pads under sleeping bag... not as comfy as an under quilt but worked fine for me for a full year. I did find that cutting a couple of cheap foam pads short and laying them in the hammock sideways to make a sort of taco worked better for my son - a wolf at the time who is now a webeloII and hasn't been still 10 minutes in his life.

Save the fine tuning for a 4.99oz racer!
    I used a pad last time and plan on doing the same this time, but was just trying to think of an easy way to attach a sleeping bag to the hammock.

My son likes to make his cars into objects. Dinosaur and such. he doesn't try and make it fast. so we spend time on the style.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    Then I'd say use two for your son, making it real nice for him with a makeshift double layer. But give him some work to do. There's no call for you to be the pack mule all the time. Everyone in the family needs to be equally tired at the end of the day! LOL

Put the best pad in the BIAS for yourself. You deserve it. You paid for all this stuff!

Mike
    thats what I tried to do last time but because i was limited in skill and supplies i wound up sleeping in the lesser and he was happy as a clam in my bias.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLScouthanger View Post
    +1 on doubling up the hammocks with a pad in between. Then just have him crawl in the sleeping bag. No need to cut any holes.

Also, +1 on saving the really fine tuning for race day.

+100 on being involved with your children!
    if my daughter wasn't instant/constant trouble she would be out there too. Our derby isnt until march.

I am going to try and double up the hammocks with a pad between.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Warbonnet superfly
    Insulation
    pad, IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Your "coolness" will NEVER wear off with your Son. You are his Hero! and always will be. Have a great time. Don't sweat the small stuff. (and it is all small stuff)
    Take this soul, stranded in some skin and bones, take this soul and make it sing.

• + New Posts