Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images

Just got my warbonnet!!

I came home from work around 7 pm today, and had a nice small box waiting in the mailbox. Yes, my Blackbird is here!

I'm deciding whether to attempt to set it up in between the only two appropriate trees in the back yard, which happen to be surrounded by brush, in the dark.

I'm planning to set it up at a campground on Friday night, and won't be arriving there until 9 pm or so, so I figure it's good practice to try setting it up with nothing but a headlamp to guide me....

Just stretching the thing out in the living room, it looks absolutely massive inside. Can't wait to get it hung and try it out.

Images
    Well there is always your lunch break tomorrow!
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Just set it up in the backyard - setup was a breeze - I used clove hitches (I'm a climber, I like clove hitches!) and left plenty of slack in the line, and the lay was still super flat.

I'm blown away by how much space this thing has. Now I just have to figure out how I'm going to rig the tarp, and see how different insulation schemes work.

This thing is sweeeeeet.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    Just set it up in the backyard - setup was a breeze - I used clove hitches (I'm a climber, I like clove hitches!) and left plenty of slack in the line, and the lay was still super flat.

I'm blown away by how much space this thing has. Now I just have to figure out how I'm going to rig the tarp, and see how different insulation schemes work.

This thing is sweeeeeet.
    So, how is it for side sleeping?

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I rolled onto both sides, and had plenty of knee space in both setups. It seemed like it would be completely fine for side sleeping. I'm about to head down and try it with a blue foam pad and see how that turns out. It's about 45 degrees outside right now, and in a down jacket and normal pants, the only thing that was cold was my butt, so I'm gonna try the foam.

Edit: I should note that my hammock is the double layer 1.1, which, as warbonnetguy mentioned below, is going to stretch less than a single layer, and thus have a flatter lay. If side sleep is a concern, I would definitely go with the double layer - at my 180 pounds it feels plenty flat for side sleeping.
    Last edited by Mustardman; 10-29-2008 at 22:19. Reason: clarifying which hammock I have

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    With the wide blue foam pad in there, it felt pretty similar to no pad. Plenty of room for side sleeping, and still a nice flat lay. I didn't really fiddle with the pad position very much, just unrolled it inside the slot and left it wherever it landed. It seemed to affect the foot box area most, so next time, when I've got more light and more time, I might try moving it more toward the head end.

The cold butt was completely gone with the pad in place, and the only source of any chill at all was when the wind blew through the netting on top. I have no doubt that the tarp will take care of that issue. I'm pretty confident that, with the thermarest stacked on top of the blue foam pad, and a 15 degree mummy bag inside, I will be plenty warm. I will still probably fiddle around with using an old sleeping bag as an underquilt, but it seems like this setup should be good into the mid to high 30's I'm likely to see this weekend. I'll keep yall posted.

Images
    degree of flatness also depends on fabric stretch, which depends on fabric weight and bodyweight.

the dl 1.1 is flat enough for me to lay comfortably on my side (legs straight or knees up). the sl 1.1 doesn't seem as flat for me, i don't lay on my side much, and don't recall if the single was still flat on the side or not. i definately feel it stretch more when i first sit down in it.

i would recommend if someone wants a flatter lay, consider one of the double layers. dl 1.1 is great for me at 165 and probably up to 200. and the dl1.7 above that. of course if you are mainly a back sleeper and don't need a really flat lay, one could go with lighter fabric/single layer.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    I'm pretty confident that, with the thermarest stacked on top of the blue foam pad, and a 15 degree mummy bag inside, I will be plenty warm. I will still probably fiddle around with using an old sleeping bag as an underquilt, but it seems like this setup should be good into the mid to high 30's I'm likely to see this weekend. I'll keep yall posted.

dude, 2 pads and a uq might be a little overkill for mid 30's.

a 3/8" thick ccf gets me below freezing by itself for bottom insul. of course not all ccf is the same density/warmth, and i've never tried the blue wm pad, but unless it's thinner than 3/8" or really poor ccf, it will probably work in those temps. you should try it out by itself to get an idea of when and how much additional bottom insul you will need.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    dude, 2 pads and a uq might be a little overkill for mid 30's.
    I'm more thinking about messing around with different combinations of pads, no pads, uq, etc, and seeing which I like best. Plus, I'll be car camping this weekend and can bring as much crap as I want, so I might as well experiment.

Images
    well, that's probably the best idea, just try different options to see what works best for you. remember to try the air pad only half inflated though.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast