Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Zeppelin, MobilMum
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Fire Resistant Tarp For... a Fire!

Hey guys,

I've been thinking about carrying an extra tarp to provide a shelter for my fire in rainy environments.

My 1st thought was just to get another WL Tadpole/WB Edge/MacCat Std and pitch it over my fire location hoping I put it high enough to not catch sparks.

Then I started googling for Fire Resistant Tarps. The only thing I found was this:
    http://www.bushcraftoutfitters.com/M...T-multicam.htm
    It is 5'x7', rectangle, and weighs 16 oz. Not too bad.

Here is a youtube video comparing its fire retardant properties against a urethane tarp (which should be better than a silnylon tarp I believe)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgUS9lwn0_E

Anyone have any thoughts on the subject of material?

Also, anyone have any thoughts on the shape of the tarp for this application (just to have a fire under and sit under)?

Thanks,
    Sean
    Last edited by begleysm; 09-25-2012 at 11:09. Reason: added video link

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I have been using tarps with fires under them for over 20 years. I have a Moss Outfitter Parawing (huge) that has seen a lot of fire under it. My experience has been that it is important to be selective with wood, avoid those that "pop" a lot (cedar), keep fires small, and keep the tarp high.

We have had 10-12 people under the Moss with a fire in the center for multiple days. One trip we did we had freezing rain and sleet with 40 mph winds with a large group in the fall, and we just sat under that tarp and cooked with dutch ovens for three days. Everyone that went on that trip, incredibly enough, remembers it as great fun.

I would think sil would be pretty delicate, but I have used the Guide Gear parawing with great success. Experiment at home on a rainy day with what you think will work. I always place my hand on the tarp above the fire to test the amount of heat getting up there. If needed, I make adjustments. Most times when I do this, it is raining which helps to cool and protect the tarp. Good luck and know that I do it every year at some point.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    There is also the Swack Shack tarp to consider. It's a fire resistant coated nylon fabric with a multi-cam pattern on it.

If weight is not an issue, you can get a canvas tarp treated with a fire retardant.

Cheers

Brian
    Last edited by BrianWillan; 09-25-2012 at 21:22.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    .... I have a Moss Outfitter Parawing (huge)
    Understated..HUGE would be more accurate.

No matter what fabric you do choose it will and can burn. I have burned holes in asbestos or fiberglass welding blankets at work before, and those are supposed to "burn-proof". So nothings a gaurantee.

Careless or reckless will lead to holes.
    I've burned under sil with small fires, no problemo. But keep the fabric up a few feet.

Hammock
    Byer of Maine Traveler lite
    Insulation
    none yet
    Suspension
    DIY paracord&strap
    you might want to try a dakota fire hole there is not a lot of sparks or smoke you can find them on youtube

I'm familiar with the BCUSA tarp and it appears that the Swack Shack may be very similar. Duro Textiles does all of the Multicam FR stuff on the market. If you check eBay you will find some USMC tarps that are Coyote brown on one side and Marpat camo on the other. I thought I read somewhere that they were FR but I can't find that now. Check the threads on here. I posted one on my tarp research for bushcraft that might have some insights. I don't believe you will be let down by the BCUSA one though.
    "There are places in this world that are neither here nor there, neither up nor down, neither real nor imaginary. These are the in-between places, difficult to find and even more challenging to sustain." - Thomas Moore

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Zeppelin, MobilMum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for the info guys.

I know that it all starts with intelligent use of fire + tarp. That being said, I've got thin nylon pants that get a hole from even the tinniest spark.

I'm not looking for a tarp I can throw INTO a fire, just a tarp that won't get holes in it from a spark from a pop.

Funny you should mention bushcraft because that's what I'm looking at this tarp for.

The BCUSA & Swack Shack tarps both look pretty good & I think the deciding factor between the 2 is the size. This also looks like a good excuse to get a multicam tarp (I like that pattern).

The Swack Shack site also has a really cheap Brown tarp that is surprisingly light... 1.55lbs for an 8'x10' for $14.95! Might have to pick one of those up regardless.

I'll check for what I can find on eBay.

Sean

how small are the fires you have under the tarp?

If you dont mind a heavy tarp, canvas wont be affected by sparks.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    One other issue is to leave 8-12 in at the back for air to move in. If you set up with the back to the wind and a space at the bottom the circulating air will push smoke and sparks away from the tarp instead of under it.

Dave Buckley also used to promote a tarp with wings. Basically cut a piece of fabric on a diagonal and sew one piece to each side of a tarp. The wings can be significantly lighter and not water proof as they are used as a wind block pitched vertical or close to it. He pitched it with the edge at the edge of the fire so one could sit under the tarp and feed the fire or cook over it.

I looked at the Swack Shack- I'd be tempted to cut one down to 5x7. That will handle 1or 2 folks. Take two for a party of 4. ;-)
    Last edited by nothermark; 09-26-2012 at 07:20.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast