Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images

TTM Compact Hammock

Just got the Ticket to the Moon "Compact Hammock" last night. This hammock is not yet available for purchase. Gifted to me to gear test and to make report here. So here are my notes and pictures so far.

Initial Report

The hammock is 7 feet long and 4 ˝ feet wide. Gathered ends with S-hook. Has 7 feet of double suspension cord on each end.

Weight: 1 lb, 4 oz = entire hammock with suspension lines

There weren’t any instructions with the test hammock but it was simple to figure out.

I used my own tree huggers with the suspension just to make sure the cord wouldn’t damage the trees.

To hang the hammock I ran the rope through the tree huggers and then made a knot at the height I wanted the hammock to hang. Then I hooked the S-hook on the knot. Pretty simple.

At only 7 feet in length, not a hammock for tall people but since I’m only 5’ 7” I was fine. Because it’s a gathered end, banana hammock, I do need support under my knees if I'm not hanging legs over side.

At 4 ˝ feet wide it’s a great viewing hammock. You can lay in it and look around quite nicely. Not that coffin feel of my homemade hammock where I'm laying pretty deep inside.

This afternoon I tried my Oware pad inside and it fit fine so I can use this hammock in cooler temps.

My initial reaction to this compact little hammock is . . . “Great. Now I have a small, light hammock to throw in my day hiking pack or take with me rail trail biking when I want to take a break during the day.” I also see me taking it on summer vacations to the lake or to scout camp for afternoon lounging.

Features listed on TTM website for current hammocks that I’m assuming are the same with this hammock are:

- Stainless hooks
    - Nautical Standard Rope
    - Hi Grade X3 Nylon Stitching
    - Mildew Resistant (anti Rot)
    - Hi strength parachute nylon
    - Heavy Duty (over 160 kgs)

The stuff sack is a little too small for my liking. Sure I can get the hammock and suspension line back in, but if it were bigger, it would be a quicker stuff, which I'd appreciate.

I immediately tossed the little black bag that the suspension lines came in. Not so much due to the weight (only 9 measly grams), but because it was one less thing inside hammock stuff sack. If stuff sack were bigger, I'd probably keep using black bag for suspension lines. Black bag needs to be tad bigger too IMO.)

More to come. . .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HappyCamper; 10-31-2008 at 20:18.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    looks tiny....
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Dang! Happy Camper, I thought I was a gearaholic, but you need help! I know this makes at least one Hennessey, a couple, or more,DIY'ers, and now a TTM. Plus tents (ugh!), pads, multiple packs, tarps-a-plenty, and probably things you're secretly hoarding without telling a soul. Where will all this end? Ain't it fun!!!!!!!!!!
    Sometimes even a Blind Hog finds an Acorn

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    I know! I know! I have a 2nd part-time job to support my habit so I don't have to resort to a life of crime! It's truly a sickness.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    I want advance warning when HappyCamper has a gear closet clean-out - the list may take a whole day just to read. I'm just hoping that Exped 9 somehow makes it to my gear closet someday!

My Intial Review of the Compact Hammock

Tester's Biographical Information:
    Reviewer: Chunter
    Height: 5'10" (178 cm)
    Weight: 200 lbs (91 kg)

Background:
    I would consider myself to be an avid outdoors person that has spent more money on gear over the years than I like to think about. I am always on the lookout for better gear that will help reduce my pack weight while not sacrificing durability and ease of use. I started camping as a young kid and did my first backpacking trip 17 years ago. Since that time I have done numerous trips in Wyoming, Utah, Idaho, Montana, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. I have been an active scout leader over the last few years and have been trying to find good, durable and affordable gear for my troop. Our troop stumbled across hammocks as a valid backpacking option a couple years ago and I have slowly been trying to get each boy access to a hammock.

Product Information:

Manufacturer: Ticket to the Moon (TTTM)
    (http://www.ticketothemoon.com)

Item: Compact Hammock
    Weight as Delivered: ~17 oz (482 g), including hook and suspension ropes.
    Sleeps: 1 person who is shorter than 5'9" (175 cm)
    Measured Open Size: Width: 4'10" (147 cm) - hammock still gathered
    Length: 7'3" (221 cm) - hammock still gathered
    Measured Packed Size: Height: 5" (12.7 cm)
    Width: 3.75" (9.53 cm)
    MSRP: Not released yet
    Year of manufacture: 2008
    Colors: Light Blue
    Made In: Indonesia

Product Description:
    The TTTM Compact Hammock is a HAAB (Hook and attached bag) style hammock. It appears to be a shortened variation of their ‘Single’ HAAB hammock. The hammock is made from nylon silk and comes standard with a steel hooks and ropes for suspension. The suspension ropes are around 84" (213 cm) in working length.

As a lightweight backpacker and also a scout leader I was impressed by this little hammock. I have used different brands of HAAB hammocks in the past but none of them appear to have the same quality stitching and attention to detail that this TTTM has. In addition this is the first relatively inexpensive HAAB hammock that I think will hold up to the stress of young boys. I also like the fact that it is shorter than most HAAB hammocks. This is good for smaller frame people as it will be a better fit and less weight to carry. Up to this point in time I have not been able to sleep an entire night in the hammock, but have clocked around three to four hours experimenting with it. I will be taking it into the field in the next month and will be able to give a more detailed experience with it.

Construction:

I did not find a single crooked or loose stitch on the entire hammock. In addition I like the silk nylon as it is more comfortable for me to lay on and also stronger than the materials being sold on some of the other HAAB hammocks brands. The hammock width feels to be about the same as a normal HAAB style hammock and feels as stable.

Operation:

Hanging

The hammock like other HAAB styles is very easy to setup. My only gripe about the hammock is the suspension system, which to be fair is my gripe with all HAAB hammocks no matter the brand. It is easy to use but it is heavy and would damage the trees as is. I would like to see them sold with straps so that a camper/backpacker doesn’t have to immediately go and buy more materials to create a more appropriate system. However if the user is not hanging the hammock from trees then I think the ropes would be fine granting that you find supports within the length of the ropes. With that said, even if they are sold with ropes you can always upgrade the suspension for relatively cheap.

Packing

The hammock packs down to the size of a softball and has a compression strap integrated into the bag. I love the integrated bag as far as packing it up, especially for Scouts. I would probably not use the little black bag that comes with the pack to hold the suspension system, especially since I will be replacing the ropes.

Comfort:

I think this hammock is very comfortable. However, due to its shortened length, I found that it was not as comfortable for me to lay in it with the normal amount of sag that I use on my longer hammock. This was mainly because I couldn’t lay as flat as I like. I did hang it much tighter and found that I could lay flat but with noticeable shoulder squeeze. My wife got into it and found it to be perfect. She is two inches shorter than I am and also has much narrower shoulders. She liked it so much she already has claimed it as hers.

With that said, I would still be able to sleep through the night in this hammock in comfort and would do so long before ever going back to the ground. I would just need to make sure I had something under my knees to relieve any pressure.

One neat thing that I like about it shorter length is that you can use a normal length sleeping bag as a ‘Peapod’ knockoff. This is especially important for my scouts as the majority of them do not have the money to get an actual down under quilt or real Speer Peapod. A normal length sleeping bag seems to be perfect as far as covering your entire body and would help to extend it into full three season use.

Pro's:
    • Lightweight
    • Good strong hammock body fabric
    • Quality workmanship
    • Easy to use
    • Size perfect for someone with a smaller frame
    • Size allows the use of a normal length sleeping bag to act as ‘peapod’

Con's:
    • Suspension is not ideal for someone who plans to hang the hammock on trees
    • Stock suspension is heavy with the steel hooks and nautical rope

In summary I think this is a great hammock and a good addition to the TTTM line. I think this hammock could become a favorite of Scout troops as it meets the need of providing an inexpensive, quality, durable product that would fit the majority of the scouts.

- End of Initial Report –

I will be doing actually field testing with the scouts soon. My next experiment will be to give it to one of my scouts without direction to see how they manage setting it up and sleeping in it.

Thanks to TTTM for giving me this opportunity, they have definitely sold me on the quality of their workmanship and also their dedication to the hammock community.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Nice review - very well done!

Hammock
    Parachute nylon hammock
    Thanks for the review, i will inform all of you when the compact hammock is developed.
    Have a nice day
    Feel like utopist today? click here

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    Hi
    I have three of the single hammocks which I bought 6 months ago. I have just returned from a holiday in Bali and while I was there I went and found the TTM shop and took a few photos to show you guys.
    Thanks
    Gunn
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

Hammock
    Parachute nylon hammock
    Wow thanks, hey actually we have a photo contest ended at this Christmas. The regulation is on the website (ticketothemoon.com) Winner will receive a hammock from us, nice eh? so, if you got any cool pictures with our hammock, please send it with a comment to [email protected] - directly to me

Thanks

Have a nice day.
    Feel like utopist today? click here

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast