Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Cheaper source for 800 fill down....

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=59807

I had the same question, but posted to another thread. Glad to find this one, since I have been looking for sources as well, including Ebay
    WileyC

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/320985046232...84.m1423.l2649
    I won this auction for 44oz of pure down for $5+$7.75 shipping. Chickenwing told me today in the nicest way possible that I "sucked" for winning that auction...hahaha...think there was some envy there. I thought I got a pretty good deal. Now that I see what some of the going rates are, I think I got a REALLY GOOD DEAL! I plan to make an underquilt, a top quilt and have some probably left over for another project. Whoo Hoo for good deals!

I saw a video of a guy who bought 10 down filled jackets and 2 down comforters from the Goodwill Clearance center where they charge by the pound. He only had about $10 total in all of those down items. His plan was to open them up and use the down to make under/top quilts and other down items. I thought that was a great way to get inexpensive down.
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

I'm pretty new to down, but from the description in your auction it says you won 44oz of down _feathers_. I think we're talking about down (no feathers) clusters.

Hammock
    90&quot;x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by TeraHz View Post
    I'm pretty new to down, but from the description in your auction it says you won 44oz of down _feathers_. I think we're talking about down (no feathers) clusters.
    The title says down feathers, but the full description said it is pure down. I guess I will find out when my package gets here on Monday.

Upon looking again, it does say feathers...so we will see.
    Last edited by Junebugdawn; 09-27-2012 at 20:36. Reason: addition
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    My package came in today. It looks like all down. Upon research, it appears what I have is the down from a FROSTLINE kit that was probably for a parka or a sleeping bag. There are 22 2oz bags of down. FROSTLINE was one of the only companies to offer DIY gear kits back in the 70s and 80s. From what I can tell, the parkas were made with 800 fill power down. I think it is really cool that I was able to get this vintage down at such an awesome price. I would love to be able to find some more. Since they have been out of business for so long, there are probably unused kits lingering in someones attic or basement just waiting to be put to good use. I can't wait to use this down for my underquilt and top quilt. It will be that much more awesome knowing that this down was part of a company that specialized in original DIY gear.
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Now that is a great deal indeed!

That's funny! Now I don't feel so weird for checking out my local GoodWill store, just this morning, cruising the used jacket section
    WileyC

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Here is a good deal on down comforters...a large one could even be split and made into an UQ and a top quilt. Under $50 shipped. Down Comforters on Groupon
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide &amp; Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky &amp; GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    I'm yet another Blooming My Luxe pillow user here. Great stuff.

I made a down underquilt and top quilt for my hammock setup using 900FP down from Thruhiker. It came out great. OP, if you haven't already figured it out, I'm guessing you'll need about 1.5lbs of 800FP to make a TQ/UQ combo that's good to 20*F. I used 9oz in each of my TQ and UQ, and they have kept me warm to 30*F. I think they might be ok a little lower, but that's as low as I've been. With 800FP, I would go with about 10-12oz of down per quilt to get you to 20*F. However, the temperature rating and loft is highly dependent on the dimensions of the quilts.

For my UQ I used Thruhiker's Momentum 50 for both sides, about 9oz of their down, made it full-length, and the total weight is 14.5oz. The TQ used Momentum 90 on top and Momentum 90T on bottom, with a foot box that zips up to the knees, then cinches at the bottom. It also has about 9oz of down, with a total weight of 18.5oz. I've also used the top quilt as my sleeping bag on the ground last month while I was in the Tetons (no trees at times, so I couldn't hang). It kept me warm down to 35*F.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12