Tarp
    Still Deciding
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Thumbs up About time: First Hang with the DangerBird

Well, I have had this thing for a few weeks now, and I got to use it for the first time this weekend at a Church Retreat at the Humming bird Music Camp in the Jemez. I just want to say that forgetting light and trying to put an underquilt and UQP on for the first time in the dark is a pain in the bells.

I know that I should have set it up in the backyard, first, but I really don't have anything to hang from in the back yard. Whatever I did would just make me want to climb in, and none of my yardly structures can support me in my hammock.

This is not my first hammocking trip. You may (or may not) have seen this:http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=55389

Anyway I decided that the HH was too small for me, and I started pricing the ones for the bigger boys. I am 6'2 190. Given the price and availability of the big boy hammocks I figured that the DangerBird would be ideal. Weight and price wise this came in very close (fractions of a dollar and fractions of an ounce) to that of the HH models that would work for a leggy six+ footer. What is not to like? Long, Wide, Bugnet, Overcover, Whoopies, and still choices. Papa Smurf was VERY helpful, usually answering emails within a day, and occasionally within five minutes. If anyone cares mine was #140.

The hammock is Olive Brown, and it is a DB 68. It is a double layer 1.1 ripstop beast. On my scale it weighs 33.375 oz, complete with suspension. The over cover is black. I got the hammock up in the woods and took a 20 minute nap. It was great. It solved the cramped feeling that my HH gave me. That 20 minute nap was my only sleep for about 26 hours, so I likely could have slept anywhere and been fine.

Whoopies rule! Much quicker and easier to use than the HH set up, and I kept my hammock off the ground while setting up. I timed myself, 7 minutes to set it up the first time. Sub five the second time when I had to move it. Used limb scraps from the forest floor for my toggles on the Marlin Spike Hitch.

Two Views

The attention to detail on this thing is amazing, from the sliding pull outs to allow asym with either end being the head or right/left, to the peak bags that contain the overcover and bugnet, and the ridgebag is work of art. The peak bags are small enough to be out of the way, even with holding their payloads, and my 2QZQ peak bag fits.

Peak bag

The Ridge Bag

It is hard to tell but the ridge bag is holding my Oakleys, my Nook Color Tablet, 4 assorted sizes of Hot hands, my cell phone, and it still has an empty pocket.

The underquilt is a HG 20 degree Phoenix, and it was wonderful. I had to put it on for the first time in the dark, and managed OK. The UQP had a similar learning curve, but I noted that the grossgain tabs on it match up with the reflective tabs on the hammock, so I think some micro biners will be in order. With this combination I was comfortable to a forecast 50 degrees without a topquilt or sleeping bag for most of the night. I can't wait to try this in November when the forecast is for the mid to upper 20s. Even with the UQP in place I was easily able to reach in and shift the underquilt around.

My learning curve with hammocks is continuing. I need to mark the Bishops bag with something to denote a net head and a cover head. I gave one of my tree straps 8 inches so my feet would be elevated, but when I set up my hammock I stuck the peak bag with the net on that side, designating it as the foot end. I kept sliding toward that end of the hammock most of the night. Once I figured out what was wrong I gave up my need to be next to the closed zipper end, and switched end to end without getting out of the hammock, and slept like a baby. This hammock is big enough for me to lay flat asym, it gave me no foot, calf or knee pressure, and I slept great. Last pic is my carriage system

A synthetic Slumberjack 20 degree tall bag, the hammock, quilt, UQP, ground tarp, treehuggers, their respective stuff sacks, and a stocking cap, all in a Kifaru Ultralight Large Pod. This is my bedroom. Weighs 9.6 pounds. Hoping to go to a topquilt, as the sleeping bag is just over four pounds. I can likely get all this stuff in a medium pod when I go to a topquilt or Mountain Serape. There is still room for assorted stuffing in the Large Pod. The pod locks on to my backpack like it was built to be there.

If you are on the fence about the DangerBird, jump off. This a great hammock if you are tall, and the 1.1 ripstop variant is much lighter in weight, great for backpacking. Once I settle on a tarp, life will be very good.
    Last edited by unm1136; 09-27-2012 at 11:42. Reason: Trying to get pictures to show...

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    Great review! Thanks! Been looking at these for a while now. I think my next two hammocks will be a WBRR, and a D-Bird. <sigh> Need, want, need, want ....always a battle!

~ Sky
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Glad you got something that'll be comfortable. It will be even better once you get a few more hours of sleep!

really nice review, your in my stomping grounds, have a home in Santa Fe, will be there in late Nov for a couple weeks, Love the Jemez, even with all the fire damage. I have one of the first Dangerbirds and I + everything you said and then some, close to 100 nights in it and it's perfect for me, @ 6'4" 225. I've used keltys and liked ok, I used super fly in central america and it worked well but went to Old man winter (144in) and realllly like, just sent it to 2qzq for a double pole mod, so awaiting its return, I try, not very well, to stay ahead of Old Gringo on equip, but alas he's always ahead. I also ordered one of molymac's Dutch seep pods, for cold weather. Enjoy the Dangerbird, it just fits nice, jim

My next hammock is a Dangerbird 60 Idk weather to get a single layer or double layer. I wont use a pad often, but not sure how much that second layer helps. Anyone wanna lend some advice on that predicament?

Jeremy

Hammock
    DB68
    Tarp
    Still Deciding
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCoyote View Post
    My next hammock is a Dangerbird 60 Idk weather to get a single layer or double layer. I wont use a pad often, but not sure how much that second layer helps. Anyone wanna lend some advice on that predicament?

Jeremy
    Like everything it depends on your needs. I contacted Papa Smurf with this question. Because weight was so important we decided that a DB68 in 1.1 ripstop would give me the best strength and lowest weight. IIRC it was lighter than a single layer DB60. Contact Papa Smurf directly, answer his questions, and he will set you up. The price depends on layers, not material.

pat

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by unm1136 View Post
    Like everything it depends on your needs. I contacted Papa Smurf with this question. Because weight was so important we decided that a DB68 in 1.1 ripstop would give me the best strength and lowest weight. IIRC it was lighter than a single layer DB60. Contact Papa Smurf directly, answer his questions, and he will set you up. The price depends on layers, not material.
    pat
    They vary a little bit, but most of the time the weights are real close between a DL 1.1 & a SL Poly Crinkle Taffeta.
    Also depends on the suspension and any customizations made.
    DB60 in Poly Crinkle Taffeta will run around 30 to 31oz.
    DB68 DL in 1.0 ACU Digital will weigh approx 31.5 to 32oz.

Another advantage in my mind, is the increased safety margin of a double layer. I've seen a SL 1.1 split wide open when hung too low and accidently brushed against a rock. My guess is that a double layer might have prevented the failure (unless the damage was severe enough to snag both layers).

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCoyote View Post

Jeremy
    A couple of points to ponder: you'll likely have slightly more warmth in a double layer. Not enough that you're likely to notice; however, air cooling will be slightly less (hotter on a hot night, less cooling on a cold night). It will help ward off mosquito's biting through (I have heard of it happening on a single layer, if no UQ - hot night), but highly unlikely with a double. And finally, likely less stretch from the taffeta fabric when two layers are used...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL Lefty
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    HG20*3/4UQ-EE30*TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I am able to keep track of the head end of my hammock by leaving that biner and a few inches of the strap sticking out of the bishop bag.

Hammock
    Dangerbird 72
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    May cost a touch more, but a convenient way to tell which end is which is to have a different colored whoopie at one end. It's a snap to re-thread the gathering -- I just used a sheet bend knot to hold the original to the new one, and pulled it through
    "Can't we all just live in trees and hammocks?"
    -- Sam Gribley, My Side of the Mountain

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast