WBBBXLC arrived yesterday, and...hmmmm....

I have been so excited waiting for this gear to arrive. I have been naïvely deluding myself the entire time.

While I knew this would eventually be an issue, the hammock is here and my problem is now all up in my grille...

Now I am forced to face the fatal flaw in my decision...

No trees!!!

I mean, have some, perfectly spaced, too... just on forbidden wetlands behind the house...lol Nice, tall 80' plus cedars, laughing at me... the buggers.

I am, shudder the thought, considering a hammock stand from Home Depot. Just not enough time to field test anywhere. Only home for the weekend then traveling on business again.

Giddy like a school boy waiting for Christmas morning before it arrived, and needing to delay gratification like an adult now that its here... lol Ain't life funny sometimes?

Gear seems top notch, though I need to find sacks to carry everything together. That would be a nice option: pouches for extra lines, tent stakes and such and maybe a stuff sack that would keep the hammock and winter cover together. But these are merely suggestions, as I can source them at REI, I bet.

Shout out to Brandon. Everything arrived a few days ahead of schedule.

If anyone is on the fence, order now, or be prepared to wait...

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Sub'Kilo
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Awesome... I too just ordered a BBXLC and Superfly, and I'm worried about being able to play as soon as they arrive, because we got two feet of snow the other day... How long was your wait?
    Add life to your years!

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    It is great when new gear shows up.

If you do look at stands, be sure to pay attention to the width - some are only like 11' across.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB, CCF pad
    Suspension
    I switch around
    Who forbids you strolling out to the cedars? Who's patrolling them? I think I'd give that a try first - and if some petty dictator says anything, you can just apologize and move on. I got caught testing some gear in an area 'forbidden' once in our county. They just told me to leave (after, of course, making sure I wasn't a travelling meth lab ....small town deputies, dude.... gotta love them Barney Fifes..).

YMMV
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Cinch, Whoopie/Marlin, whatever
    JRB TQ with CCF underneath
    DIY tarps

"When In Charge, Ponder. When In Trouble, Delegate. And When In Doubt, Mumble."

Quote Originally Posted by Brancher View Post
    Who forbids you strolling out to the cedars? Who's patrolling them? I think I'd give that a try first - and if some petty dictator says anything, you can just apologize and move on. I got caught testing some gear in an area 'forbidden' once in our county. They just told me to leave (after, of course, making sure I wasn't a travelling meth lab ....small town deputies, dude.... gotta love them Barney Fifes..).

YMMV
    Yeah, I thought of that but it's just not my play.

I'm happy to abide by the wetlands sign clearly posted behind our home. No biggie, as frankly, to comfortably set up there, I'd want to clear some deadfall, and that's a step too far, imo, given the intent is to keep this a protected area.

We live in a retirement community/golf community. There are old folks everywhere here with nothing better to do than complain about shizzle, and a committee that loves to remind people of the pointless minutia in life. Hanging my hammock on those trees seems the shortest path to having to tie up some 80 year old grandmother on a gold course green's flag, while covering her in honey and feathers to send a message to everyone else to back off.

Normally that approach wouldn't faze me at all,... but have you priced honey lately?!

Congrats on your new toy. I was just looking at the turtle dog stand by samsara and that might work for you. I would put in a link but my PC skills suck so you might need to search.

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Here ya go!

https://www.google.com/search?q=turt...a&channel=fflb

--OR-

https://www.google.com/search?q=turt...en-US:official

--OR-

https://www.google.com/search?q=turt...en-US:official

Or, get out to the woods! Enjoy your nearby city park; find the closest campground, state park, or National forest.
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Looking at stands got me searching the net and I just ordered a Island Bay adjustable with wheels from Hayneedle.com ( there is that link thing again ). It is no tool adjustable for both height and length and seems like it breaks down fairly small for transport or storage. It is designed for 14 feet long hammocks so should work well for your 11 foot. I really like the wheels idea as it makes it easy to move to better shade or when mowing (yuck). They come in several colors and look good so if left up won't stir up the neighbors. The cost is 110.00 and free shipping so when you figure the cost of DOY it really isn't bad.

Quote Originally Posted by lazydog View Post
    Looking at stands got me searching the net and I just ordered a Island Bay adjustable with wheels from Hayneedle.com ( there is that link thing again ). It is no tool adjustable for both height and length and seems like it breaks down fairly small for transport or storage. It is designed for 14 feet long hammocks so should work well for your 11 foot. I really like the wheels idea as it makes it easy to move to better shade or when mowing (yuck). They come in several colors and look good so if left up won't stir up the neighbors. The cost is 110.00 and free shipping so when you figure the cost of DOY it really isn't bad.
    Maybe...

I picked up a stand at Home Depot yesterday. $99 and upon testing today, it needs longer poles. Its spread is 15' (verified) and I just touch the cross bar on the floor when the hammock is mounted. In fact, I think the ridgeline is just slightly over tight, so I'd like to back the hanging chains off a link on each side... which means I need longer poles. Something closer to 18 or 19 feet in width should get my backside clear of the base I figure, so another 2 - 4 feet on each end should allow me to get the added couple inches of clearance I need. Seems about in line with what folks suggest in videos, too. Trees about 20 feet apart...

FWIW, the BBXLC has been approved by both of our dogs... who needed to crawl on top of me, naturally...lol

• + New Posts