Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Warbonnet superfly
    Insulation
    pad, IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Angle is not steep enough for the spacing on those trees. Should be about 7 feet off the ground. The way it is in the photo is not ALL that bad but it is a little to "flat". Get about a 35 degree angle on the suspension. Then use an adjustable ridge line to adjust the "sag". I use two woopie slings as a ridge line. This gives me all kinds of possible adjustments to get the sag.
    Take this soul, stranded in some skin and bones, take this soul and make it sing.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Per JohnSawyer, my concern for your safety is about the strength of the SRL, not the strength of the suspension.

If the SRL is strong enough, you won't have to climb trees to attach the tree straps, and you'll be able to have your hammock at less than two feet from the ground. For your comfort the angle that matters is the one of the hammock, with you in it, not the angle of the suspension. The height-distance chart is a distraction without utility if you have a strong-enough SRL.

Find a heavy enough near- horizontal tree bough, and you can --with some risk --hang your hammock comfortably from that. without anxiety, if you support the bough at the out-end of the hammock.

Hammock
    HH Backpacker
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    20° HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Arrowhead Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Per JohnSawyer, my concern for your safety is about the strength of the SRL, not the strength of the suspension.

If the SRL is strong enough, you won't have to climb trees to attach the tree straps, and you'll be able to have your hammock at less than two feet from the ground. For your comfort the angle that matters is the one of the hammock, with you in it, not the angle of the suspension. The height-distance chart is a distraction without utility if you have a strong-enough SRL.

Find a heavy enough near- horizontal tree bough, and you can --with some risk --hang your hammock comfortably from that. without anxiety, if you support the bough at the out-end of the hammock.
    Ahh ok I get what you are saying now!

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post

That's what I hope to accomplish with my suspension system using buckles as a pulley to crank tension into my quasi-single line suspension. It doesn't really matter what angle the suspension might be (unless it is steeper than what is comfortable): a structural ridge line can prevent too flat a lay and, if strong enough, carry part of the load; but it cannot impart distance between hammock ends (you'd need a rigid pole to do that).

The junction between suspension and SRL forms a deflection point. If the suspension and SRL both distribute loads to the oppostie trees then one would have a SRL as taut as the suspension (there's a definitive breakover point for that, I think) ... as long as the deflection equaled or exceeded that of the take-off from the trees. If it exceeds it then the SRL will have the effect of lifting the hammock without affecting the comfortable lay (once "dialed in"). Therefore, one must decide whether the SRL is mearly a measuring devise or if it must work to carry load. Only if it carries load is it properly "structural," that is in architectural terms as I understand them. But what we need, in addition to organization, is a research arm to measure and evaluate these things on a scientific basis. Again, just thinking out loud ...

Mike

Hammock
    Hennessay Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Potomac
    Suspension
    Homemade whoopie
    Stay with the 30 degree angle. Remember that your weight laying still is static and doesn't account for the dymanic loads getting in and out and moving around in your hammock will create. Would hate to hear that you snapped a line and hit the deck.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Burd View Post
    Stay with the 30 degree angle. Remember that your weight laying still is static and doesn't account for the dymanic loads getting in and out and moving around in your hammock will create. Would hate to hear that you snapped a line and hit the deck.
    Right! Don't load a line or piece of hardware beyond its stated rating.

"Workng load" refers to those dynamic forces that come into play under normal usage. If a SRL is taut it is working. The work it does, which I do not know how to calculate, depends on the distribuiton of load relative to angles of deflection. I know all the angles have to add up to 360 and live load is a multiple of dead weight, depending on the material utilized. So be careful out there.

Mike

Hammock
    DD Traveller
    Tarp
    DD Camo
    Insulation
    Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Your hang is definitely looking tight. A quick way to check the angle is to form a pistol with your hand using your thumb and index finger, like when you were a kid with your thumb cocked. Then, hold your finger parallel to the ground. The tip of your finger and tip of your thumb should touch the suspension line. Then your about 30 degrees.

Or, use your iPhone app.
    MAD777, Thanks. I have seen reference to the pistol thingee any number of times on the forum, but couldn't work out how the 30 degrees came about.
    Your explanation and the lights went on.
    For a while there, I thought our guns and USA guns were different
    John

Hammock
    HH Backpacker
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    20° HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Arrowhead Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    That's what I hope to accomplish with my suspension system using buckles as a pulley to crank tension into my quasi-single line suspension. It doesn't really matter what angle the suspension might be (unless it is steeper than what is comfortable): a structural ridge line can prevent too flat a lay and, if strong enough, carry part of the load; but it cannot impart distance between hammock ends (you'd need a rigid pole to do that).

The junction between suspension and SRL forms a deflection point. If the suspension and SRL both distribute loads to the oppostie trees then one would have a SRL as taut as the suspension (there's a definitive breakover point for that, I think) ... as long as the deflection equaled or exceeded that of the take-off from the trees. If it exceeds it then the SRL will have the effect of lifting the hammock without affecting the comfortable lay (once "dialed in"). Therefore, one must decide whether the SRL is mearly a measuring devise or if it must work to carry load. Only if it carries load is it properly "structural," that is in architectural terms as I understand them. But what we need, in addition to organization, is a research arm to measure and evaluate these things on a scientific basis. Again, just thinking out loud ...

Mike
    Wow Mike i felt like i was back in algebra in high school there for a moment, i had to read that one a couple of times to make sure i caught all of it

on a side not i did go and measure the distance between the trees, it was 24 feet! so yea if i put it up there again i need to get those straps higher for sure. Thanks for all the input fellas!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12