Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sleeping with no insulation at all. Help please.

Hi guys.

I am about to fly to Singapore and cycle up to Vietnam from late December to March this year. The average low temps look like they dont drop below 50 deg F very often at all.

I am planning to buy a Hennessy Hammock as a weight saving option as I expect to only be camping maybe once a week. As such I would love to cycle with no pad and no sleeping bag.

Is this a bad idea or will I be fine sleeping with just a light jumper, socks and long pants??

Thanks,
    Adam

Hammock
    ENO DN/DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    In those low temps you indicated, I think you would want some insulation underneath you. I can definitely feel myself getting cold as low as ~60F even when I'm wearing decent clothing. Most people here recommend something if you are going below 70F.

A simple inflatable pad may work for you - it doesn't take up a lot of room.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    I'd go for a down uq and tq made for summer. They will pack down to the size of a softball and keep you warm when it's cool...

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Below 65 F, I recommend carrying something for the bottom. I'm a pretty warm sleeper (manufacturers' temp ratings tend to be 5 to 10 degrees F too conservative for me, on average), and I get chilly below 65 if I don't have something below me.

Now, above 50, you could probably get away with just a synthetic sleeping bag (the synthetic fill won't compress as much as down underneath you, allowing you to stay warm enough at those temperatures). But, it's going to be bulkier (and, probably, heavier) than a proper down tq/uq combo.

Another option is to make a Garlington insulator out of a poncho (so that it doubles as your rain gear) and a space blanket for your bottom insulation and just carry a summerweight down top quilt.

That way, the under insulation will be less moisture-sensitive (which, if popular representation of that part of the world is accurate, is nothing to sneeze at) and just as light as a down underquilt. It'll also do double-duty, saving you the weight (and bulk) of carrying a separate set of rain gear.

I'm testing this right now for my 3-season FL set up (where the temps get down into the 50s at the coldest). In a month or two, I'll be able to comment more effectively on how it does towards the bottom of that temperature range. For now, I can say that it's comfy down to 65 F, but I'm pretty good at those temperatures even without under insulation...
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Dutch's prototypes
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    All Dutchware
    I'm a warm sleeper, I've been comfortable at those temps with just a $5 walmart fleece blanket under me, YMMV

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    If you're on a budget: A windshield sunshade & a fleece sleeping bag. Maybe even an emergency blanket.
    If you're not on a budget: A summer TQ & UQ (the best option).

Can you test in a 50 degree room somewhere?
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    The 50 degree average low may be a bit misleading. That's usually for the center of towns and down in the valley. If your on top of a mountain, it could be a lot lower plus the winds could get high. You need a little bit underneath you, but it doesn't have to be heavy or bulky. A foam filled air mat (like most Thermorest pads) should be enough. Lighter, but more bulky, would be a closed cell mat.

Hey guys - thanks a lot for the helpful responses.

The average minimum weather in most locations will generally be more like 65 degrees - I say 50 to cover myself for altitude up north and variation from the averages.

Unfortunately it is not easy for me to do any tests or make any complicated DIY options. I am already cycling in Turkey using a tent that I will be ditching as I will be switching from travelling with my partner to cycling solo for a few months while she is studying. I will have the Hammock sent to an address in Singapore.

How much protection would a Silk sleeping sheet give me. it is stitched like a sleeping bag liner but is about the size of a queen bed so I could actually fold it in half first so that I would have 3 layers under me and 1 above me...? Or perhaps this with a windshield sunshade under me? (Is silk inefficient in this situation?)

What could I expect to pay for a summer TQ & UQ combo? Any suggestions?

THANKS!
    Last edited by upandadam; 09-29-2012 at 09:08. Reason: Question added.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    TQ/UQ from USA cottage vendors would run about $300-400 for a set, depending on if you went full length UQ or 3/4 length. Less for the Chinese made stuff. Taxes & shipping are extras.
    Silk liner won't do much for warmth without some form of thicker fabric like fleece over it. The problem with a hammock is convection heat loss, which can become very rapid with even a slight breeze around it. High humidity + the breeze = air conditioning. Fine if it's hot, not so fine when it's cool.
    I use my quilts all the time, but it's a lot different here. Low 50's at night is very common, even if it's in the 90's during the day.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Cheers, that looks a little out of my budget unfortunately.

I think I will go with my 450g Karrimor inflatable mattress and look to buy a thin fleece blanket. Will I need to size the fleece blanket so that it fits both under and on top of me? Sleeping directly on the matt doesn't woulnd so nice..

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast