WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    I see you use a Ridge Runner. That could easily be set up as a bivy in any shelter. Then you would have some short walls and could have the UQ inside with some insulation along your sides witha the TQ on top. That also fixes the critter issue. I would still carry the short ccf pad. I like a little sit pad and use it for structure in my pack, too.
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    3 Season Pheonix
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I carry a ccf pad for my knees and below and its probably about 2-3 ft. I have been forced to go into a shelter and it worked. I put the pad around my hips area and then clothes beneath my torso. If i have any extra clothes after the torso i put for my legs but if not its still ok.

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    This has happened to me a few times, generally when it has gotten colder than I had planned to sleep in my hammock. The suggestions given are really good, and as Shug says, one night won't kill you. I did, however, decide to just get up and start hiking at 4am on one solo trip I was so uncomfortable. The other time I was using a PeaPod and I wound up wrapping myself in my tarp as a vapor barrier then wrapped up in the PeadPod and was ok.

I can also say that if you have whoopies and straps you can manage some creative hangs on the AT in shelters. This was from a AT Shelter in VA in 2011.

I hung inside that night due to heavy rain and the ground around the hanging sites all being underwater - I wasn't worried about my hang, I was worried about my shoes!

Sweeper
    Last edited by Sweeper; 09-28-2012 at 21:30.
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Proud Member of the "Corps of Insanity" Hiking Group, 2000-2015. Semper Gumby!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcavenagh View Post
    I see you use a Ridge Runner. That could easily be set up as a bivy in any shelter. Then you would have some short walls and could have the UQ inside with some insulation along your sides witha the TQ on top. That also fixes the critter issue. I would still carry the short ccf pad. I like a little sit pad and use it for structure in my pack, too.
    Hey, very good points! I had never thought of doing that inside a shelter. If you are still using the hammock as a bivy, that should partly of completely negate the problem of needing more width for ground sleeping than many quilts have. And it would take care of that mouse problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeper View Post
    This has happened to me a few times, generally when it has gotten colder than I had planned to sleep in my hammock. The suggestions given are really good, and as Shug says, one night won't kill you. I did, however, decide to just get up and start hiking at 4am on one solo trip I was so uncomfortable. The other time I was using a PeaPod and I wound up wrapping myself in my tarp as a vapor barrier then wrapped up in the PeadPod and was ok.

I can also say that if you have whoopies and straps you can manage some creative hangs on the AT in shelters. This was from a AT Shelter in VA in 2011.

I hung inside that night due to heavy rain and the ground around the hanging sites all being underwater - I wasn't worried about my hang, I was worried about my shoes!

Sweeper
    How do you decide what to hang from in those shelters, while also feeling pretty sure you will not pull the shelter down?

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    I that case I was hanging from the roof rafters, which were essentially telephone-pole sized. I hung across the grain, as it were, and was up in the top of the loft (not too many in the shelter or I couldn't have done it). I will admit to being somewhat skeptical, but it worked out pretty well for me.

In the case of the following picture from AT in 2005 and my old HH Expedition it didn't work out so well. I WAS afraid that the old-style shelter would come down, so I wound up doing the bivy trick and sleeping with my torso on the small blue pad below the hammock. I was plenty sore the next morning!

Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx and Mamba
    Suspension
    Line/Strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcavenagh View Post
    Perfect answer!! Or, at least, perfect for me. Never even thought about that. I guess just lay the hammock out and use some tie-out string from the rafters to pull up the bug net. That works! Thanks

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx and Mamba
    Suspension
    Line/Strap

Sweeper
    haha. That is AWESOME!! Thanks for the idea, if the situation arises of course.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx and Mamba
    Suspension
    Line/Strap
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    But I'm thinking, if you are on the ground, you are going to be using just one quilt, most likely your TQ because it is wider. Unless I'm missing something? Or, unless the quilts were modded in some fashion to enable them to be joined together?
    No they were not modded at all. They are both 100% stock from Warbonnet. My thinking is...even though you will compress the down in the UQ by laying directly on top of it in a shelter, it is still an extra later. The sides would still retain their loft and help, a little, to keep drafts from entering from the sides. I guess I live by the motto...it cant hurt and no way it will make it worse So, if it is in my pack, and I have the ability, it will be underneath me. So just for clarification sake, yes, I am thinking...if I have to bail out and sleep in a shelter...then I would lay out the small piece of Tyveks with my UQ on top of that, the lay on top of both with my TQ. I like the previous post about turning my WBRR into a bivy though. That pretty much solves most of the questions I have...but I still think I will end up getting a normal mummy bag for the head and neck warmth. I will at least buy one and try it out, if it works...COOL, if not then I will have a nice bag for a hand-me-down to a lucky family member.

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    Don't discount the bag 'o leaves idea at all - one of the things I always have in my pack is a large black plastic trash bag - filling that with leaves and using it as a torso cushion works VERY well. If I had thought to do that in the second picture above I would have had a very nice night since it was January and there were ample leaves everywhere.

I figure if it worked for our distant ancestors for bedding, it will still work for us in a pinch!

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx and Mamba
    Suspension
    Line/Strap
    Don't discount the bag 'o leaves idea at all - one of the things I always have in my pack is a large black plastic trash bag - filling that with leaves and using it as a torso cushion works VERY well. If I had thought to do that in the second picture above I would have had a very nice night since it was January and there were ample leaves everywhere.

I figure if it worked for our distant ancestors for bedding, it will still work for us in a pinch!
    All these awesome suggestions Just so happens that I use a contractor grade trashbag as my pack liner, never thought about turning it into a mattress

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast