Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Another Warbonnet Blackbird Review

Firstly, Brandon, thanks for all the tips and suggestions...

I took my newly aquired Blackbird (Double layer 1.7 od green) for her maiden voyage, a quick over nighter at Allens Creek on Lake Monroe, IN. Hung on hillside running 25' to the waters edge. Only in a hammock!

Positives
    The lay is amazingly flat. I thought I was flat in my other hammocks but I've now seen the light! (head and feet should be hung about even height IMO) I put my feet all the way down into the footbox and my left shoulder was just under the zipper. I slept on my back, left and right sides comfortably

Foot/shoulder room is HUGE! I can put my arms back behind my head with NO restrictions.

This is my first ridgeline and while I didn't orginally think I would like it, it helps me get a consistent hang. It is a great barometer of how your hammock is set up.

The shelf ROCKS! I've always missed having certain gear accessible at night. I was able to take additional clothes and stash them in the shelf (in case the temp required them). You can put your water bottle up there...mp3, watch, glasses, book, packtowel. It really is one of the best features.

I love the olive color.

Cons

Really, only one.
    Because of the width of the hammock, I really struggled with 1. Placement of my gossmear gear CCF pads. I (there is so much room in between the layers that I had to adjust, adjust, adjust). 2. Even once I placed the pads correctly (I was using 2 - a 1/8" thick, 32" wide base with a second 3/8" thick, 19" wide on top of the base) I always had an elbow unprotected and touching the side. I have used the 32" wide pad in a HH and a Claytor and never came close to needing more coverage. I have pretty broad shoulders but nowhere near that wide. I checked and rechecked to make sure the pad hadn't somehow "folded" over and reduced its coverage but it was fine. I was never cold (45 deg) but annoyed would be a better description.

I really don't have a guess on the problem. 32" wide coverage should be the same in a 48" wide hammock or a 60" wide. Maybe the asym lay changes how the pad "fits". I'm really grasping for ideas...
    I plan on using this hammock as my primary during this winter, so I better get a handle real soon. Would an UQ give better coverage? IF so, how wide should the UQ be? I might to to modify my DIY TQ and use that with the 3/8" thick pad...

Overall, awesome craftsmanship, support and design on this hammock. Once I nail down the insulation issue, this will be a out-of-the-park grandslam!

pics
    Last edited by animalcontrol; 11-02-2008 at 15:49. Reason: I'm too dumb to thumbnail my pics
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Images
    was it moved over as far toward the zipper as it would go? if so, maybe cutting the corner off the pad would allow you to slide it even farther toward the zipper, or some kind of shaping to allow you to move the side over a bit more. since it goes in diagonal, the corner hits the side of the hammock and the pad stops even though the side of the pad is not quite to the edge.

my 41" wide uq seems plenty wide, and have not had any complaints about it being too narrow. it is mobile so it can be positioned right where you need it though. a fixed quilt might need to be wider.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    was it moved over as far toward the zipper as it would go?
    yea, that was part of the adjust, adjust, adjust part. It was right there (eventually)
    if so, maybe cutting the corner off the pad would allow you to slide it even farther toward the zipper, or some kind of shaping to allow you to move the side over a bit more. since it goes in diagonal, the corner hits the side of the hammock and the pad stops even though the side of the pad is not quite to the edge..
    I had already rounded everything for using it in my Claytor...what would you think about the pad folding as I got into the hammock and unfolding as I got out...possible? If so, any solutions?
    my 41" wide uq seems plenty wide, and have not had any complaints about it being too narrow. it is mobile so it can be positioned right where you need it though. a fixed quilt might need to be wider.
    My TQ is wider than 41" so I might have to modify it and see if it helps. Could you email me some detail pics of how you suspend your UQ? IF you don't still have my email, PM me and I'll give it to you again.

It is GREAT learning new gear!
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley

Images
    uq just has hems/channels on the sides of the quilt. there is 1 big loop of shockcord (about the length of the perimeter of the torso uq)that runs through both channels and i hook the shock cord over the ends of the hammock. thats it.

Images
    i donj't think the pad is folding while between the layers, i think the corner of the pad is hitting the inside edge of the pad pocket and keeping the edge from being able to move as far left as you want it to be. you should be able to feel through the fabric and feel exactly where it is without having to get out.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    uq just has hems/channels on the sides of the quilt. there is 1 big loop of shockcord (about the length of the perimeter of the torso uq)that runs through both channels and i hook the shock cord over the ends of the hammock. thats it.
    Do you have to close off the ends or does a body in the hammock fill that in?
    i donj't think the pad is folding while between the layers, i think the corner of the pad is hitting the inside edge of the pad pocket and keeping the edge from being able to move as far left as you want it to be. you should be able to feel through the fabric and feel exactly where it is without having to get out.
    I could absolutely feel that pad..both of them. I had to get out to adjust them (they don't move well with me inside the hammock [lol])
    Assuming what you said is true (corner of the pad is hitting the inside edge of the pad pocket and keeping the edge from being able to move as far left as you want it to be) wouldn't I have additional pad on the other (right) side? I didn't. I was 1" short on the left and had an extra 1" on the right (or visa versa if I moved) but I never had the expected extra 6" anywhere around my elbows.
    The mystery continues...

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Maybe we should nickname the Blackbird the "Bermuda Triangle of Hammocks." Pads just disappear in the cavernous interior...

Pads will buckle when you lay on them but it shouldn't be that drastic of a change, especially if you've used these pads in other hammocks with no issues. Why don't you bring it inside the hammock with you and get it situated? That way you can see exactly what it's doing and the solution may be obvious. Then you'll know what it should look like when you put it back inside the pad pocket.

I bet it's something to do with how that shape mates with the pad pocket, as WBG suggests.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Why don't you bring it inside the hammock with you and get it situated? That way you can see exactly what it's doing and the solution may be obvious. Then you'll know what it should look like when you put it back inside the pad pocket.

I bet it's something to do with how that shape mates with the pad pocket, as WBG suggests.
    Good advice...I will try this tommorow.

Images
    wise advice.

also, you probably don't need the pad to cover your elbows unless it is really cold. the colder the weather the wider pad you will want and if it's warmer, just covering your core will be enough. i used a 29-30" pad in really cold weather for full arm coverage, but bigger folks might need a wider pad. 30+ seems like it should bhe wide enough.

as for the uq, it needs to fit snug on the end edges too. the design i was referring to was shaped so the un-cinched ends fit snug. this will likely not be the case with a rectangular design though.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cuben rag
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images

Under Quilt fitting

I really think UQ is the way to go.

I have the "thepreacherswife" 1/2 UQ (Post #74).
    It's a rectangular 1/2 Down UQ.

Before the Blackbird i used a kind of fixed suspension,
    that didn't work on the Blackbird.

So i followed Brandon's advice and i added tubular webbing on both sides of the UQ.
    Through those tubular webbing goes two shock cords from the head end to
    foot end.
    That makes the UQ adjustable.

On the short sides, small diameter shock cord was preinstalled by the thepreacherswife, works great to snug the UQ up against the hammock fabric,
    by simply tightening it.

Over all it works great!
    Does it makes sense?
    Last edited by moski; 11-03-2008 at 10:35. Reason: works great

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast