Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    This is what I am going to try.

http://store.auctionaticstore.com/ppr6037.html

$10.84 total with shipping. I got it today and it weighs 3.3 oz. As soon as the HHSS gets here, I will set it up and see how it works.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH w/ 2Q 3-zipper mod
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB MW3, HR on top
    Suspension
    WhoOpiesling!
    Images
    I like the idea of the OCF UP inside the bivy! Might make a neat package I could just roll up into my 8 L stuff sack. Hmmm . . .me thinks a trip to REI is in my future!

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    This is what I am going to try.
    http://store.auctionaticstore.com/ppr6037.html
    $10.84 total with shipping. I got it today and it weighs 3.3 oz. As soon as the HHSS gets here, I will set it up and see how it works.
    This looks absolutely perfect! Us HH SS aficionados await your test results with baited breath.

--Kurt

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images
    Oh, great... just what I need, another kind of foam I will now want to buy and test. You'd think I would learn.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    This looks absolutely perfect! Us HH SS aficionados await your test results with baited breath.

--Kurt
    What amazes me is that there are now enough "HH SS aficionados" so that the term "us" actually applies!

My hammocks don't even get here until the 13th so can't test until then. But, I did use it on the bed last night as it was intended to be used. The temps were about the same as the night before and I was colder than I was last night. Although not hot, you could tell that my body heat was being reflected back to me rather than being absorbed by the mattress. I slept much better with the heat sheet than without. There is just the very slightest rustling from the mylar side, but not so you'd notice. My wife didn't even know it was on the bed until I showed her this morning. Also, the OCF side keeps the heet sheet in place and I feel this will carry over to the HH with the SS pad.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    My hammocks don't even get here until the 13th so can't test until then. But, I did use it on the bed last night as it was intended to be used. The temps were about the same as the night before and I was colder than I was last night. Although not hot, you could tell that my body heat was being reflected back to me rather than being absorbed by the mattress. I slept much better with the heat sheet than without. There is just the very slightest rustling from the mylar side, but not so you'd notice. My wife didn't even know it was on the bed until I showed her this morning. Also, the OCF side keeps the heet sheet in place and I feel this will carry over to the HH with the SS pad.
    Might be a winner. Are you using a PeaPod, and about to get a HHSS?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Might be a winner. Are you using a PeaPod, and about to get a HHSS?
    No, moving from a Speer/Peapod to HHEU (with a #2 zipper mod) with SS. The PP takes up too much room in the pack. It is a luxurious way to hang though!
    Last edited by Mrprez; 11-11-2008 at 14:49.

Images
    That is the one I have, a HHEUL with SS.And, like you, I alo have a PeaPod. You are right, it is a luxurious way to hang. But I like the SS also. Though admittedly it is easier and simpler (for me) to keep warm at really cold temps with the PeaPod. I don't worry about the volume, since I still use a good sized pack. In fact, on my last trip, because I have reduced bulk and weight in so many other areas, even with the pod I had so much room left over in my pack that I was able to leave my top lid behind, which used to be stuffed full of stuff.

But really, I can make either option work. Probably, if I was sure of lows WAY below freezing every night, I'd probably take the PeaPod, maybe with a summer weight top quilt for max luxury. If lows were far more likely to be mostly no colder than low 30s with rain more likely than snow, I probably would go with the SS. Of course, another factor in the decision is if I want to use one of my top loaders instead of the HH, for whatever reason.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    K guys heres the test results for my third try out with the suggestions you all recommended as did Tom H. I slept out last night with rain and temps in the low 40's to start.When i retired for the night temps were 38 deg with scattered snow showers. I started earlier in the day setting up the ulbp with the undercover on, the underpad in and the space blanket on top of the pad as per everyones suggestions. I made sure that the space blanket was tucked in around the underpad so it wouldn't move at all. I climbed in for the night and made sure that i was properly positioned over the combo so i wouldn't taint the test and climbed in my sleeping bag. I must say i did sleep quite comfortably with temps reaching 32 deg with 15-20mph winds but with two hours left in the sleep i had a slow chill from my shoulders to my feet.I decided to ride it out (in the name of comfort..or lack of) and inspect in the morning. When i awoke i found that the sb combo was completely intact but once again my bag was wet. Further inspection revealed that there was a little moisture on the inside of the undercover which the underpad had soaked up (as bill suggested it might) but the kicker was the sb had a ton of moisture on top of it which soaked thru the nylon of the hammock and into my sleeping bag. I'm really beginning to think that this problem is unique to me...i don't know maybe im one hot tamale when i sleep or something...
    Guys i can't help but think im stuck with this problem unless i revamp the system im using or spend my life trying to fix the problem. I sent an email to Tom today expressing that i would like to return the ss for a refund and try something else so im just waiting a respose.
    Like i said before i think the JRB nest on the outside is the next step.Christ by the time i get one of those i'll be into the 700-800 dollar range...i could have just paid someone to come on my thru hike with me and carried my MSR Phrophet and downmat dlx 9 and slept in tranquil moments of the days trails.
    I do have a question for Koaloha95 about his quilt. If i get a JRB nest for the underside of the hammock isn't the quilt "splash proof" from water..lets say with a rain splashing on the underside from the ground? I was just wondering why you use a weathershield2? Is it for added protection from the rain or to keep the quilt completely dry or to add to the temperature rating? Im asking because i don't want to buy another piece of equipment that needs more accessories to make it work the way i want. I just want to replace the supershelter with a nest quilt (underneth), use my existing sleeping bag but have the rain proof ability of the super shelter undercover...oh ya and the not get wet thing.
    Thanks for the help gents/ladies if there are any women posters out there.
    Not all who wander are lost....

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast