Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB Nest

Unhappy Super Shelter moisture problem please help!!

Hi all!
    Just joined the forum today and i have a question i need help with.Im new to hanging and i recently bought an hh and a super shelter to go with it.I put the undercover on and did a camp out the other night all went well but i woke up at 2:30am to releave my call of nature outside and found that my undercover had quite a bit of moisture between inside of the undercover bottom of the hammock.It even started to get my sleeping bag wet at the foot end.Just for reference to all who read this and try to help with my problem i setup camp at 65deg with no wind,a maccat deluxe tarp,hh ubp,with the undercover attached but the underpad not installed,lastly in sleeping in an mec raven sleepling bag.The temperature did eventually drop to 37 deg for the low (i don't know if the temp. drop has anything to do with it).If anybody has experienced this problem and found a solution to it i would like to hear from you.If not any imput would be great.
    Happy hanging!!

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Clark XL
    Images
    try it with a spaceblanket and the undercover

Images
    Yep, that is probably it, what Chris said. If you didn't use the underpad ( HH OCF pad), then you most likely did not have a space blanket held close to your back by the pad. If it is any thing more than just fairly cool, the under cover will act as a vapor barrier, and moisture will condense on the cold under cover, guaranteed. So use the space blanket on top of the pad and all insulation. The SB will be held against your back, will be kept warm, and condensation will be minimal.

Were you not cold, even before things got wet, with out the pad and only using the undercover?

What is the temperature range for the SS? Can you leave everything attached and throw it all into the pack everyday? I am looking for something quick and easy to setup that can be used on a thru hike in the warmer months.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    What is the temperature range for the SS?
    Wow, that is the subject of much debate. I would say there are a fair number of us who can use the basic SS ( undercover/HH OCF pad/space blanket) down into the mid 30s or a bit colder with no problem. I know of a few folks who had no luck much below 50. Then there are a couple of wild men from Canada and Nebraska who have taken the basic system below zero, which I find amazing. Then there are many ways to get a lot more out of a SS: HH kidney/torso pads, Garlington Insulators, adding clothing down in the SS, and of course, pads in the hammock. Search for many threads on this, or go to BGT for tests on SS.
    http://www.backpackgeartest.org/revi...per%20Shelter/

Can you leave everything attached and throw it all into the pack everyday?
    Yep. Just stuff it all in one big stuff sack. Though most probably don't do it this way. Most probably remove the pad and stuff it separate. But either way works good.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    I would like to start by saying thanks for the replies guys!!
    To start off i don't understand how a space blanket is going to change that problem but i can see how the addition of the underpad might create enough space to allow the moisture to disappate...maybe.I mean if you guys have tried the blanket and it works i mean i'll try anything i got nothing to lose.I just think that the fact that the undercover is coated is a no brainer... it doesn't breathe!! Therfore it will sweat with cold air underneth and warm air inside.As for being cold BillyBob...not really cold at all at those temps.I tend to be a really cold sleeper but the new bag i got really kicks ***.
    Lastly im interested in sending back the ss for a refund and buying a jrb nest instead.Anybody heard of any moisture problems with that?

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugger View Post
    Lastly im interested in sending back the ss for a refund and buying a jrb nest instead.Anybody heard of any moisture problems with that?
    I use a JRB Nest and Mt Washington. Your body vapor easily passes through the quilts. Only time I have had a "moisture" issue was on a sub freezing night with the Mt Washington & WeatherShield2. My moisture froze on the foot end and around some of the perimeter edges of the outer shell of the Mt. Washington. The rest of quilt felt dry. Not really an issue. Just the reality of the moisture passing through the quilt and reaching the sub freezing outer surface of the quilt.

Regarding the SS. Seems like the times I've used it with no space blanket (SB) and just the open cell form underpad (ocf) there has been some condensation and or damp ocf. What I haven't been able to figure out is why with the SB I don't end up sleeping in a puddle. There have been a few droplets on the SB, but way less than what normally occurs on the SS undercover when used without SB. Have no clue to where & how all that moisture dispersed when using the SB.

My current sleeping options are WeatherShield2 or SS undercover with ocf/SB for warm conditions, Mt Washington UQ for cold conditions with the Nest as my top quilt for all temps. Plan to sew a PrimaLoft or ClimaShield warm weather top quilt that I can layer with the Nest for real cold. Have you considered keeping the SS and adding a SB plus a Nest as a top quilt/under quilt option?
    Last edited by koaloha05; 11-03-2008 at 22:55.
    Noel V.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugger View Post
    I would like to start by saying thanks for the replies guys!!
    To start off i don't understand how a space blanket is going to change that problem but i can see how the addition of the underpad might create enough space to allow the moisture to disappate...maybe.I mean if you guys have tried the blanket and it works i mean i'll try anything i got nothing to lose.I just think that the fact that the undercover is coated is a no brainer... it doesn't breathe!! Therfore it will sweat with cold air underneth and warm air inside.As for being cold BillyBob...not really cold at all at those temps.I tend to be a really cold sleeper but the new bag i got really kicks ***.
    Hi Hugger. I think adding the pad, without the SB, won't do much- or anything- to help your problem. You will just end up with a very wet HH OCF pad, which will soak up moisture like a sponge. Unless you use the pad without the undercover (UC), but then you will just be cold. Tom Hennessy says to use the SB. I think he is correct.

Instead of the moisture condensing down in the UC and where your insulation is, it will condense against the SB. ( BE SURE the SB is the first layer against your hammock and back- very important!) BUT, because the SB will be warm and snugged up against your back, separated only by the breathable hammock fabric, AND on your side of the insulation ( warm), there will likely be only very minor condensation. Whatever the explanation, many folks here have found this to be the case. And the other thing which has been found to be the case, IMO: It is hopeless without the SB. It is just going to be a wet, cold result without the SB. Unless it is not very cold or humid to start with.

Even when I use my PeaPod ( a form of down UQ ), I very often still use my SB. As does the designer, Ed Speer. I mainly do this to keep body moisture out of the down. But in reality, I only see a very small amount of condensation on the SB, just like with my SS.

You probably won't notice much condensation with an UQ. But many down bag users notice a loss of loft after long cold trip, especially if it is really cold. This would be from a slow build up of condensation after several cold days. But it would not likely be noticeable over just a couple of days, or if it wasn't very cold, or if there are opportunities to dry your quilt in the sun every few days.

Bill

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images
    I just spent my first night out with the SS, and it was a success. Here's the equipment list:

- UnderCover
    - UnderPad
    - Torso Pad and Kidney Pad
    - Heatsheets space blanket
    - HH Explorer UL
    - REI Polar Pod +20 bag
    - 100-wt fleece pants and top, fleece hat worn sometimes
    - OverCover
    - Stock Hennessy tarp

Conditions started out warm (38 F) but had dropped to mid-20s F when I got up for a bio break at 3:30. Wind was constant at about 10 mph. When I awoke in the morning, there was a bit of condensation on the space blanket, but neither I nor my clothing was damp.

Part of the space blanket slipped when I got back into the hammock post-bio break. I discovered this when, in the morning, it was the only place where the UnderPad had any condensation. It was soaked and cold, but dried out quickly enough.

The weather's back up into the 50s right now, but I'll get another proof-of-concept night out soon. For now, the SS is a tentative success!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by adkpiper View Post
    I just spent my first night out with the SS, and it was a success. Here's the equipment list:

- UnderCover
    - UnderPad
    - Torso Pad and Kidney Pad
    - Heatsheets space blanket
    - HH Explorer UL
    - REI Polar Pod +20 bag
    - 100-wt fleece pants and top, fleece hat worn sometimes
    - OverCover
    - Stock Hennessy tarp

Conditions started out warm (38 F) but had dropped to mid-20s F when I got up for a bio break at 3:30. Wind was constant at about 10 mph. When I awoke in the morning, there was a bit of condensation on the space blanket, but neither I nor my clothing was damp.

Part of the space blanket slipped when I got back into the hammock post-bio break. I discovered this when, in the morning, it was the only place where the UnderPad had any condensation. It was soaked and cold, but dried out quickly enough.

The weather's back up into the 50s right now, but I'll get another proof-of-concept night out soon. For now, the SS is a tentative success!
    Way to go, Adkpiper! Now that is the way for a newbie to do it, by the book! Resulting in success, unlike me with my first try. With a successful mid 20s night on the first try! And I might add: yet more evidence that the SB is an integral part of the system. Your accidental slippage of the SB surely proves the point. Where the SB was not covering, the pad was cold and wet.

I think your experience with just slight condensation on the SB is a pretty common experience, and exactly matches my experiences.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast