Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Images
    PS:
    Oh, Welcome to the forums, Adkpiper!

Were you able to get the kidney and torso pads from Hennessy? ( Apparently so)

There was some question here recently about if they were still available. And I did not see them listed at the HH site. What did they cost?

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Are the HH kidney & torso pads ocf or ccf or something else? Are we talking about two additional smaller pads or a single pad designed to wrap around the kidney & torso area?
    Assuming this pad is placed between the SB and ocf plus held in place by some "patented" HH system?
    Noel V.

I carry a couple of cloths pins with me to stop the slippage. I do multi task with them. I use them to hang damp things up prior to bedtime and then secure the SB just prior to getting into the hammock.

B.Woods

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    K heres the deal...I talked to Tom Hennessy himself today and he said the same thing you guys are.The space blanket is a must!!! He himself said that all year round he sets up his ulbp with the undercover and underpad attached with the space blanket on top of the underpad.If he gets hot just opens up his sleeping bag to air out.He used the analogy when your sleeping at home on a hot day you just take the covers off,you don't really have the ability to remove 10" of insulation underneth you.He also explained that the space blanket doesn't allow for the heat of your body to reach the outside cold air (which is where it condensates and turns to liquid).And the underpad with its gripper qualities should hold the sb in place.
    He also had a tip (that you all might want to try) he leaves the whole thing together..the hammock,uc,up,sb and sleeping bag and carefully stuffs the whole thing into his backpack when breaking camp.He said it doesn't look like its going to fit but it compresses down quite good.He said he has never had any damage and packs his tarp into snakeskins separate from the other stuff.
    In closing im going to try the underpad and spaceblanket sometime in the near future (too hot this week...72deg in Canada in November WTF!)So im going to wait till the temp drops down to low thirties to give it an honest go of it.I'll keep checking this thread for more of your replies and tips.I'll post an update as soon as i have one.
    Thanks all.
    P.S Sorry if i don't quote or reply to all of your questions its my first time on a forum and im still learning how to you this thing...kind of like the hanging thing....

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by koaloha05 View Post
    Are the HH kidney & torso pads ocf or ccf or something else? Are we talking about two additional smaller pads or a single pad designed to wrap around the kidney & torso area?
    Assuming this pad is placed between the SB and ocf plus held in place by some "patented" HH system?
    They are OCF. Same as the original pad, though not egg crate. One extra smaller pad about the size of a torso, plus another pad about half that size. apparently the kidney area is a prime heat loss area, so thickness is tripled in that area, and doubled over the entire shoulder blade to butt area.

It is place as you describ, and the pads stick to each other like glue. They never move.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Woods View Post
    I carry a couple of cloths pins with me to stop the slippage. I do multi task with them. I use them to hang damp things up prior to bedtime and then secure the SB just prior to getting into the hammock.

B.Woods
    good idea. That could also be used to stop a down vest or parka from slipping down to the bottom of the under cover.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images
    Hi folks!

Yep, I got the Torso and Kidney Pads from Hennessy. I'm not entirely sure what they cost, since I ordered a bunch of other stuff at the same time, but I'm sure that Tom would quote you a price if you called him up.

I rolled all the pads up together along with the space blanket, and I stashed them inside a Sea To Summit 13L dry bag. It was a little tight, but it fit. I found that the space blanket made it more difficult to roll up the pads because its slippery surface kept the pads from gripping each other.

It's back up in the 50s right now (70 F today!), so it'll be a few more weeks before I get out into the SS.

With regard to slippage, I wonder whether simple lo-fi paperclips would work to hold the space blanket in place. Anybody tried it? Do they rip the Mylar?

Does anyone recommend a specific SB to use with the HH super shelter? I just bought the larger size thermolite bivy sack. I figured that gave me the option of using it inside my sleeping bag or inside the super shelter. How about putting the OCF pad inside the bivy?

Walmart has a camp pillow which is comprised of an air bladder, OCF pad, and a pillow case. The OCF pad is sewn in to it's own cover and is rather nice. About $6.00 for the whole shebang, it might be worth getting just for the OCF insulaltion value.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trailale View Post
    Does anyone recommend a specific SB to use with the HH super shelter? I just bought the larger size thermolite bivy sack. I figured that gave me the option of using it inside my sleeping bag or inside the super shelter. How about putting the OCF pad inside the bivy?

Walmart has a camp pillow which is comprised of an air bladder, OCF pad, and a pillow case. The OCF pad is sewn in to it's own cover and is rather nice. About $6.00 for the whole shebang, it might be worth getting just for the OCF insulaltion value.
    I'm not familiar with the "thermolite bivy sack". But if it is waterproof/vapor barrier, and preferably also a radiant barrier( reflective), it should work if you can get it around or on top of the HH pad. Don't know about the weight though, no info. OTOH, the $3, 2 0Z Walmart SB works fine, as does a Heatsheet ( a bit nicer and easier to handle and quieter during set up, slightly more cost, about the same weight depending on which Heatsheet you get. As they come in bivy sack models also.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I'm not familiar with the "thermolite bivy sack". But if it is waterproof/vapor barrier, and preferably also a radiant barrier( reflective), it should work if you can get it around or on top of the HH pad. Don't know about the weight though, no info. OTOH, the $3, 2 0Z Walmart SB works fine, as does a Heatsheet ( a bit nicer and easier to handle and quieter during set up, slightly more cost, about the same weight depending on which Heatsheet you get. As they come in bivy sack models also.

The Thermolite bivy I was referring to is the one made by the same company that puts out the heat sheets. The material is different...softer, multi layer, less reflective. A little heavy/expensive at over six ounces/$33.00 retail.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast