Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Suggest a hammock for a tall skinny noob

I'm 6'4 and about 180lb and looking for a hammock setup. I'm sure this probably gets asked a million times, but the amount of options is a bit overwhelming for me...

I've looked at the hennessy explorer and the eno dn. I think I'd really like the mosquito netting built in, so that rules out the eno. What other options are there for a tall person?

Also how easy is it to modify the hammock with whoopie slings? From the videos I've watched this seems like a great system.

I want something that will last, I'm hoping that I like the hammock enough to use it everyday.

Thanks for any suggestions

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Welcome to the forum!

Given your specs, I think the most critical feature is going to be hammock length. I would recommend looking only at 11' long hammocks.

I'm not saying that you couldn't find comfort in a shorter hammock, but limiting your search to longer ones will greatly improve your odds and simplify the search.

For features, decide whether or not you need a bugnet most of the time. A separate bugnet gives you the option to leave it at home. Will you use a pad or go straight to underquilt? Go with a double layer 1.1 if you'll be using a pad.

Are you a car camper or high mileage backpacker? If backpacking, the weight should be a significant factor in your choice.

Good luck with your search!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    At 6'2" I recommend a longer hammock. Reason why is the banana shape. The shorter the hammock relative to the person in it, the more the curve. The goal in a camping hammock is to lie as flat as possible. Even with a wider hammock you will still be curved even if it is 90" wide. The length is where the comfort is.

Whoopie slings are all the rage. While there are methods out there that get close; no other suspension system can weigh as little as the whoopie sling. If you are backpacking this is the system you will want to use. I am still sleeping on my first set of whoopies (dynaglide) and they are still holding up strong over a year later. (I weigh 180 as well)

My favorite hammock is my DIY 1.9 single layer hammock. All of my gear that I favorite is DIY. Why? I believe it's because I spent so long trying to perfect it for myself.

I personally dislike built in bugnets for the sheer fact that skeeters can still bite through the bottom. Convenient, yes, until morning when you try to figure out how to get cortizone on those areas of your back you can't reach. The only thing I have to say though, is i found some tulle at the store today, and my next hammock will have a built in bugnet, as a loaner. good luck, and welcome to the forums from Guam

Images
    Think of an 8 hour airline flight. Would you be more comfortable in coach or first class? After hiking all day I enjoy the length of the HH Deep Jugle XL or Explorer UL. I've modified both with whoopies, it's an easy task. Just take your time.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    defiantly check out an 11'er. my personal preference are the Owls by Wilderness Logics.
    they where designed for the 6'4" frame to be able to stretch out in comfort.
    their quilts are are also sized accordingly.
    __bob__

Hammock
    DB 72
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I am 6'4" as well and I got my Dangerbird 72 yesterday. This hammock is amazing and includes everything a noob(I am still learning!) needs. Its super long and wide with tie outs to make it wider. Fitting the full length underquilt was a challenge as last night was quite cold but after some mitten hook attachments its all snug and toasty now. It not only has a built in mosquito net that you can zip down but a overcover(for wind protection and makes it a bit warmer)! The whoopie slings are a breeze, just look up shug's first noob video which uses a marlin spike hitch. If ya want I can make a video and show ya everything. Best of luck

http://www.dream-hammock.com/shop.ht...oduct=10815287

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I'm 6'4"--------230 lbs. Heres my experiences---I dont fit in a Hennesy, I dont fit in a speer, or other gatherd end hammocks,---I fit, but they are just not very comfortable for me (never tried a danger bird or a black bird) The Claytor no net can be pretty comfortable when set up right. Lots of hammocks out there I havnt tried, but for me the grizz bridge is by far the most comfortable hammock Ive ever spent a night in. In fact, I need to make another one this winter---made the "mistake" of letting my 15 year old son (whose just as tall as me) try it----he loves it!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe classic
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS+OC, 20 UGQ
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Quote Originally Posted by okaddaji View Post
    I'm 6'4 and about 180lb and looking for a hammock setup. I'm sure this probably gets asked a million times, but the amount of options is a bit overwhelming for me...

I've looked at the hennessy explorer and the eno dn. I think I'd really like the mosquito netting built in, so that rules out the eno. What other options are there for a tall person?

Also how easy is it to modify the hammock with whoopie slings? From the videos I've watched this seems like a great system.

I want something that will last, I'm hoping that I like the hammock enough to use it everyday.

Thanks for any suggestions
    Okaddaji,
    Another hammock I would probably look at is from Dream Hammock called the Dangerbird 72

It is an 11' hammock which at 6'4" is probably a smart idea, has a built in bug net which can be unzipped and rolled out of the way into the end when not needed. The single layer would be more then enough for your weight but a double layer should remove the underside mosquito problem and makes a good compartment for a pad. You can order them with ether cinch buckle or whoopie slings. I personally like the cinch buckle for ease of use but have whoopies on several hammocks as well and sure dont dislike them at all

huauqui

Sorry looks like this has already been suggested, I wrote this and got called away from the desk came back and posted without looking and seeing it had been suggested. Will leave it for my two cents worth. Hope you find what works for you.
    Last edited by huauqui; 09-29-2012 at 12:40. Reason: Way slow

Thanks for all the suggestions. It really helps narrow down the possibilities.

I think I like the Hennessy explorer ultralight and the dangerbird 72 the most at the moment. Benefit of the dangerbird I can order it with whoopie slings. If I go with the hennessy is dutchware the best place to get them?

Is there a good time to buy? I think I read somewhere that hennessy have an annual sale round this time of year, is that right?

Hammock
    DB 72
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Is there a good time to buy? I think I read somewhere that hennessy have an annual sale round this time of year, is that right?
    I believe I have read that black friday brings in good deals from Hennessy, maybe just sometime in October.

Don't you dare rule out the Dangerbird tho

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast