Hammock
    Cave Creek Hammock (Hexon 1.0)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Huggers

4 piece modular sleep system question

For those of you who use a military sleep system, do you use the original stuff sack? I am looking to get one and I am wondering if a sack without the buckles would be better.

Thanks,
    Steven

Hammock
    Handmade string & 1.1 dbl DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    Wiggys FTRSS, pluq
    Suspension
    Webbing, whoopies
    Images
    The bag it comes in is designed around crushing it to fit into a pack, preserving space for other things.

There is no wrong answer here. Personal preference should determine how you want a pack it. I found the crush bag was very useful in all seasons. It only requires 1 bag and you can determine how much gear you want to have in it. The weight saved in the summer season is from what you don't bring like the extra sleeping bag, bivy, or whatever. The intent of the whole system is it's flexibility. This makes logistics much easier for each GI. Thus the bag for all seasons.

Granite Gear makes many sizes of crush bags. Should you want to choose a different style of crush bag.

Hammock
    Handmade string & 1.1 dbl DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    Wiggys FTRSS, pluq
    Suspension
    Webbing, whoopies
    Images
    I've used all 3 styles; GI issued, Granite Gear, plain, and none at all over the years. It just depends on the season and trip as to how I pack. But if you're taking all the pieces a crush bag is important in order for you to carry anything else.

I use the bag it came with for the whole kit and a Sea to Summit Compression Bag when splitting it up whether its two bags or one.

Jeremy

Depends on what I'm using it for. I often use the standard bag, but that's because I'm normally cramming it into a ruck.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I have two, sleep system bags. The first is black and has all the straps, around and up-down. I gave it to my daughter after the third fight with it!
    Now I am using one that is a rectangle. much easier to get the blasted system into, not as tidy looking but it is quick and easier for me to load up.

I think it is all personal taste. I like things very neat and tidy, I hate fighting with things, the tube shape with all the straps was a fight to get the bag into. I am short, the bag is long, my shoulders dislocate, so pushing is not the best plan. I am sure other people do not have problems getting the system into its stow bag.

• + New Posts