Hammock
    Green Hornet
    Tarp
    2 x 3m DPM
    Insulation
    CCF & Fleece
    Suspension
    DoubleString Biner

Do I still need a Pad with an Underquilt?

I am planning for some cooler weather hammocking and wondered if I buy an underquilt. Can I do away with the CCF mat?

I am not talking about freezing temps. Around 8 oC or 46 oF.

Its not so much the weight that I a concerned about for trekking but the bulk.

Thanks in advance for any help

TC
    Tony

Remember LNT

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    It depends. Depends on the UQ, depends on site selection, depends on the tarp pitch, depends on wind, depends on how you sleep in varying temps. If you can, I would suggest testing out different systems in your backyard.

In general, people use UQ's or pads, but rarely together. The benefits of an UQ are eliminated if one also uses a pad. If the conditions are too cold for the UQ, use just pads. I am in the minority on HF, as I use an UQ in the warmer temps (down to freezing) and then switch to pads (which get me comfortably into the deep negatives). I tested systems in the backyard for a year to get to where I am now.

Of course bulk is the biggest drawback to pads as you know. All variables should be taken into consideration.

Happy Hangin'

Hammock
    Walhalla Maddog 1.2 Robic
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Camo
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I have an UQ and I still bring my 3/4 foam pad to use as a dry, clean spot to get in and out of my hammock! I also put my pack on it at night under my hammock! I don't need it, but I still use it! My pack weight is usually 17lbs-19lbs, so I don't mind the extra weight or bulk! Good luck! Maddog
    "Hike Your Own Hike." - Thru-Hiker

Images
    I hear of people in really cold situations using both, but I live in Louisiana, so we use pads because the Mosquitos can't bite thru them!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL, 1.1SL traveler
    Tarp
    Edgespin,HGcubenPL
    Insulation
    HG Custom's x10
    Suspension
    Slings
    i only use a pad on my feet when the temps get below 5 degrees. I may be wierd but i dont have an issue with cold feet in temps above that. I do use a sewn footbox though and that really helps in my opinion. If you dont have a sewn footbox from Hammock Gear you should really give that option a try.
    Ultralite Gear and Apparel

Lukesultralite.com

Hammock
    Green Hornet
    Tarp
    2 x 3m DPM
    Insulation
    CCF & Fleece
    Suspension
    DoubleString Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    It depends. Depends on the UQ, depends on site selection, depends on the tarp pitch, depends on wind, depends on how you sleep in varying temps. If you can, I would suggest testing out different systems in your backyard.

In general, people use UQ's or pads, but rarely together. The benefits of an UQ are eliminated if one also uses a pad. If the conditions are too cold for the UQ, use just pads. I am in the minority on HF, as I use an UQ in the warmer temps (down to freezing) and then switch to pads (which get me comfortably into the deep negatives). I tested systems in the backyard for a year to get to where I am now.

Of course bulk is the biggest drawback to pads as you know. All variables should be taken into consideration.

Happy Hangin'
    Thanks for the info

When temps are very low and you switch to pads only. I assume you use one that covers your shoulder and butt area.

When I use a pad only this is where it gets cold and that is why I am considering an Underquilt.

Hoping to be able to leave the mat or pad at home and just carry an UQ.

TC
    Tony

Remember LNT

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeCamper View Post
    Thanks for the info

When temps are very low and you switch to pads only. I assume you use one that covers your shoulder and butt area.

When I use a pad only this is where it gets cold and that is why I am considering an Underquilt.

Hoping to be able to leave the mat or pad at home and just carry an UQ.

TC
    You are correct. The pad wraps up the sides of the hammock to protect the shoulders. Under my butt and torso is 2-layers of (3/8in) pads. My poncho is also hung below the hammock as an extra windbreak. As the temps drop, more insulation is needed. The UQ solution to your issue will work, but not because an UQ is superior to the pad, it is because you are using both. An additional pad will also solve the problem.

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    I never use a pad except maybe under my knees for support, but not for the cold. I don't usually see temps below 40 degrees but my 3 season UQ keeps me toasty. Using a pad sort of defeats the purpose of an UQ.
    We are now ready to start our way down the Great Unknown.We are three quarters of a mile in the depth of the earth.We have an unknown distance yet to run, an unknow river yet to explore.What falls there are, we know not; what rocks beset the channel, we know not; what walls rise over the river, we know not. Ah, well! We may conjecture many things. The men talk as cheerfully as ever; jests are bandied about freely this morning; but to me the cheer is somber and the jests are ghastly. Powell 1869

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    When I got my 3/4 UQ (JRB Greylock 3), I stopped bringing the pad along. The biggest downside is when I have to go to ground, usually because of regulations. But, while I have to get creative about ground insulation when on the ground, it happens so rarely that I can live with it. I've never been cold with the UQ, that's down to about 32 degrees so far. I'm fairly short at 5' 6", so can get full coverage from a 3/4 UQ if I bring my feet up to a fetal position. If you have problems, you may just need to fiddle with the hang of it from the hammock. It takes a while to get it right. Both too loose and too tight will make it colder.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I always use a pad, with or without a UQ.
    I have gone without it and didn't like it. I like the way it gives a little width to the hammock and I like the insurance.
    It's pretty easy to have a less than perfect setup on an underquilt that results in a cold spot in the bottom. That's not something I want to discover at 1 am on a cold night. With a pad, all sins are forgiven and I can be assured of a warm, restful night. The UQ still keeps the sides of the hammock warm, so it's not an either/or for me. For the record, I use my Speer Snugfit down to freezing and the JRB Old Rag Mountain if I expect temps lower than that.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast