Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images

Question Structural Ridgeline on Speer Hammock

Hi All,
    I hope to start sewing a Speer Hammock this weekend from a kit that I bought from Ed if my girlfriend will show me how to use her sewing machine.

I'd like to know how many of you have installed a structural ridgeline on Speer type hammocks and if you think that it is worthwhile doing so?

Also, Jeff talks about using a "zip-tie" when whipping the ends of a speer type hammock. Is a "zip-tie" the same thing as a plastic wire tie? I have a gun that closes these types of ties and with it they can be tightened to varying degrees of tightness. If they are one and the same, is there a particular size that is better than others and is "as tight as possible" the best thing to do?
    Thanks,
    Michael
    www.qpens.com

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=286

The link above is to another thread discussing ridgelines on speer hammocks. I like using a ridgeline on my speer style hammock.

I have used wire ties on test hammocks several times with no problems. I will usually whip the ends when I get it like I want it. I think I remember these being discussed on a previous thread about the different types of ties

Found the link that has a discussion about wire ties
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=444
    Last edited by hangnout; 02-16-2007 at 19:23.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I think most people, myself included, use structural ridge line on their Speer-type hammocks. I like knowing that I have the same sag every time I hang it.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i don't use a ridge line, or at least i haven't until now. the reason i'm using one now is to support the end covers /w storage.
    though it's a strong line that's intended to support weight, it's not permanently attached but on one end.
    the reason being the same reason i haven't liked using a ridge line in the past. i don't hang w/ much sag so a permanent ridge line attached at both ends is to close to the hammock & in the way.
    so i tie the loose end to the tree high enough that it's out of the way.
    i may experiment w/ more sag again later, because a permanent ridge line that sets the sag each time would be nice. i wouldn't have to think as much
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    I use and really like my ridgeline. As headchange said, same hang everytime. I just attached mine to the loop sewn in the webbing. It doesn't matter that much where you put it on the ends. As long as it sets the sag each time your good to go.

I used those wire tie guns a few times, pretty cool actually. Just make sure you do not over tighten them. Those things set up to high will dammage the nylon.

I made a noseeum pocket that hangs from mine similar to the HH ones. Works great to hold small things and my glasses while I sleep.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I think my zipties are the same thing as the wire ties you're talking about. Mine are all plastic....just a strip of plastic with an opening at one end. Loop the strip and put the end through the opening..."zip" it in and it holds the position. Tighten it down and it'll keep the hammock end gathered tightly.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I use a ridgeline. I can hang from trees from 9 to 15+ foot apart, with the same sag (or nearly so) everytime. I just switched to spectra cord from nylon webbing, works just as well.

As posted above, not only does it help set up, but you can also hang stuff from it, it keeps / helps the tarp support, etc. I use mine to help me sit up (OK, so I'm old ) which I can do even through the bug netting.

Based on admitedly limited experience, I would highly recomend a ridge line.

Doctari.

I'm definitely a fan of using a ridgeline. Makes everything much easier. Also, if you use bugnetting, it's helpful to hold that off your face.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Ridgelines are definitely the way to go. Bugnetting, hammock sock, sag, and storage...just to name a few purposes.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    Yeah! You can also tie a length of rope/cord with a prussik knot on the center of the ridgeline. It will serve as a convenient handhold when you get up or when you change position.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast