WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images

3rd Annual Mt Rogers Winter Hang Out, Jan 23-25. Planning and Discussion.

The dates for the 3rd annual Mt Rogers Hang Out are Jan. 23,24, & 25, 2009.
    Even if your don't sign up, all are welcome, but if you can, please let us know you are comming.
    And what you are bringing.

Some suggestions:
    Hot dogs.
    Metts (Doctari: Hot & Cheddar)
    Bratts.
    Buns. (HC4U)
    Condiments.
    Plates. (Mixinmaster)
    Forks & stuff. (Slowhike)
    Napkins or paper towels. (Slowhike)
    Marshmallows! (Doctari, but others can add to)
    Drinks [Mix?]. (Skskinner)
    Cookies (NC Patrick)
    ??????????
    ??????????
    Last edited by Doctari; 11-06-2008 at 06:58.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Dates: Friday, 23 Jan, to Sunday, 25 Jan

-81.49858 36.65392

Temps: Average conditions for January at the Mt Rogers National Rec Area are 23L to 43H with 3.5" precip. January is the average coolest month. (Monthly Averages) Anyone know the elevation difference for these figures and Wise Shelter?
    - Prepare for single digits, snow and freezing rain
    - Snow shoes not needed

Directions to Hang Out:

Quote Originally Posted by slowhike
    i will lay out some basic info on getting to wise shelter. check & make sure i have it right.
    hwy 58 in VA. will take you to the entrance to greyson highlands state park.http://www.dcr.state.va.us/parks/graysonh.htm
    when you enter the park, it's all up hill & for a good ways.
    1st you will come to the check-in booth which will be un-attended this time of year.
    there's a fee for overnight parking & you'll find envelopes there to put your cash or check in. it has a tear-off to put on your mirror or dash w/ a number that matches the number on your payment envelope.
    this just lets the rangers know that you paid the parking fee for that vehechcial. you don't have to put the info about arrival/departure date, & destination if you don't want.
    i'll call to confirm the amount & if it's required this time of year, but i believe the cost is $3.00 per vehicle, per day.
    that means $6 for a one night stay & $9 for a two night stay (per vehicle).
    as you continue up the park road you will pass the enterance to the picknic area on the right. a little ways farther, you will turn into the paved road leading to the camp ground. these are easy to see because of the normal, brown park signs.
    as soon as you turn onto the campground road, you will see the gravel parking area for overnight packpacking on the left, but unless you plan to hike in by a longer route, keep going on the camp ground road.
    as you begin to enter the campground, you will see a small building (divided by a breezeway) on the right, w/ a sign that says "country store".
    strait across, on the left, is the parking area that will get you closest to wise shelter.
    last time i was there, they had a port-a-john in that little parking area, but i don't know if they leave those out all year or not.
    at the back-side of the parking lot, you'll see a wide, gated, multi-use trail (like a forest service road) that you'll follow by foot.
    there are a couple trails that go off of that trail, but the main trai is obvious & you just stay on that.
    you will cross two creeks that are not deep but just wide enough that they could make it a challenge to keep your feet dry... depends on the water flow & if there is snow or ice on the rocks.
    after 20-30 minutes, the AT will cross the trail/road that you have been walking.
    take a left on the AT. you'll soon cross a creek on a wooden foot bridge (w/ hand rails) & a couple minutes later be at wise shelter.
    the whole walk took me about 40 minutes.
    Last edited by headchange4u; 11-03-2008 at 14:35.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

same old note wrt the second creek crossing:

"btw about the directions in post #2 above - you can avoid the last stream crossing (a fairly significant stream unlikely to be rock hopable IMO) by looking for a stile in the fence to the left as you are walking in - the stile connects to a field that is below the shelter - hike up hill through field to AT. Another technique is to walk to the stream then hang a left going along the fence - you will shortly come to the AT at the foot bridge - left on AT for shelter - right to cross bridge and up the bank for the camping area I am going to use. Note the stile (a zigzag type) is fairly close to the stream as I recall - a couple hundred feet or so IIRC."

In addition to the stile there is also a gate to an old road next to the stile - if you go through the gate and follow the old road trace you will cross the trail between the Wise Shelter and the spring for the shelter - hang a right (slightly up hill) on trail and you will reach the shelter shortly. If you continue on the trace you will hit the AT - go right to reach the shelter.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    same old note wrt the second creek crossing:

"btw about the directions in post #2 above - you can avoid the last stream crossing (a fairly significant stream unlikely to be rock hopable IMO) by looking for a stile in the fence to the left as you are walking in - the stile connects to a field that is below the shelter - hike up hill through field to AT. Another technique is to walk to the stream then hang a left going along the fence - you will shortly come to the AT at the foot bridge - left on AT for shelter - right to cross bridge and up the bank for the camping area I am going to use. Note the stile (a zigzag type) is fairly close to the stream as I recall - a couple hundred feet or so IIRC."

In addition to the stile there is also a gate to an old road next to the stile - if you go through the gate and follow the old road trace you will cross the trail between the Wise Shelter and the spring for the shelter - hang a right (slightly up hill) on trail and you will reach the shelter shortly. If you continue on the trace you will hit the AT - go right to reach the shelter.
    I just followed the footprints in the snow.

The people ones that is, I knew enough to tell the difference between
    those and the pony tracks <grin>.

This really is a nice site, hope I can make it.

Grizz

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here's a trail map from slowhike. Click on it and there are two other maps below it of different scales. Pick which one you want and print it out.

The parking area is in the bottom right and Wise shelter is right around the middle.

“Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I'll opt to bring the buns.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I'll bring plastic forks, spoons, & knifes (for spreading), & paper towels.
    But unless something changes, I probably wont be getting to the shelter until 9:00 or 10:00pm Fri though.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Speer Winter
    Insulation
    KAQ - home made
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    I'm going to do my best to make this trip. As the date gets closer I will try and see what's needed and bring that.

b

I'll bring plates.....

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    at this point and time airfair to the tri city is almost $400. rt from atl....and i would still need to get there from the airport...
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 59 1231151 ... LastLast