Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images

camper ridgeline.

ok so this weekend I set up my camper at my sons cubscout campout. This was the first time I slept in it. I was able to set it up and slept pretty good but I know it could have been better. That being said the biggest problem I had was with the ridgeline. the way I understood it was the ridgeline was not suppose to be tight. I believe the ridgeline is made of zing it and I have a ti dutch biner.

I felt like any adjustments I would have made would have made it tighter. Tighten whoopies worse. Lower straps tighter. I had already adjusted the straps higher because tighter and lower didn't feel better. I wish I had more time to play with it but a father and cubmaster have little time for themselves.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    OES Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    UGO
    Suspension
    Stock
    I have the camper as well, and with playing with it (comparing to my WBBB), i have been leaving the ridgeline off until I am able to get/make a LONGER ridgeline. From everything I've read the ridgeline is just too short.
    Of course, you and others may disagree, just my $.02.

As for being a Cubmaster: Thanks for all that you do. Before you know it, you'll be a BoyScout leader, and will get even more time with your hammock!!

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    my assessment was that it was to short. But I know nothing at this point.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    This Srl thing has me confused too. I think ill look at Shrugs take on it again. Some times it seems fine then it seems to tight. I take it off and on like my clothes. Is it ok to to use nylon or does the streath in nylon cause to much fluctuation.?

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Nylon stretches. Polyester(dacron) would be a better choice.

The issue is spacing more than tension. Both count but spacing is harder to adjust. ;-)
    The ideal puts a 30 deg rope angle at a height you can reach with your butt off the ground. If we could always do that the ridge line would not be an issue.

If you do not achieve the ideal spacing the ridge line can be tight on any hammock. That is why it is there. It establishes a hang length for the hammock that should simulate those conditions. Comfort can vary a bit with the weight of the hanger and a specific hammock design but once the ridge line length is set it should not change.

If you want to see what the ridge line does use a hammock without a bug net. Hang it between trees spaced at different distances and see how the hammock feels at each spacing. Repeat the experiment with a fixed length ridge line in place. I'll be very surprised if you do not see a difference. ;-)

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Nylon stretches. Polyester(dacron) would be a better choice.

The issue is spacing more than tension. Both count but spacing is harder to adjust. ;-)
    The ideal puts a 30 deg rope angle at a height you can reach with your butt off the ground. If we could always do that the ridge line would not be an issue.

If you do not achieve the ideal spacing the ridge line can be tight on any hammock. That is why it is there. It establishes a hang length for the hammock that should simulate those conditions. Comfort can vary a bit with the weight of the hanger and a specific hammock design but once the ridge line length is set it should not change.

If you want to see what the ridge line does use a hammock without a bug net. Hang it between trees spaced at different distances and see how the hammock feels at each spacing. Repeat the experiment with a fixed length ridge line in place. I'll be very surprised if you do not see a difference. ;-)
    I didnt have alot of time to play with it. My main concern was if it would hold if it was to tight. I was not sure how much weight was on it and if the biner or ridgeline was about to keep up with my largeness.

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite Teal/Black
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit
    Sometimes my ridgeline is so tight I play bass with it.

It is OK for it to be tight and while it may have quite a bit of tension on it, most of the weight is going to be distributed to your suspension system if you get your setup right (30 percent angles to the trees) which is a lot easier with whoopies in place. Zing It, is rated to about 400 lbs.

We observed the 83 percent recommendation when making our ridgeline. 83 percent of 132 inches (hammock length) is 109 inches. Our RLs are made to to that specification.

That said, this is a recommendation and not everyone finds comfort in the same spot. The idea is that the ridgeline gives your hammock the same/consistent sag and this amount of sag (83 percent) is noted as being ideal (according to those who've done the research) for a flat lay. But some folks say this is too much sag. I used to use an adjustable RL on my hammock, but I switched to a static one. 9 feet works for me.

I'm not suggesting anyone's wrong for feeling different about it. Some of us like a soft mattress, some hard, some in between. This is why we have an adjustable ridgeline option on our site. Some folks want to experiment.

My main point is that if you get your suspension right (30 degree angle to the trees) then it's OK to have a tight ridgeline. The ridgeline doesn't support your full weight...Rather it redistributes most of it to the suspension. And take comfort in the fact that it's rated to 400 lbs.
    --
    www.buttinasling.com
    Now carrying the Mini Tattoo Stove!
    Light weight. Low prices. Great gear.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    i will learn as i go. i just didn't want to end up on the floor or ruin my new hammock so i took it off. i slept better then i would have on the ground and thats without trying to find the sweet spot. i would be shocked that i set it up right in terms of angles. thanks brain and all the others.

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite Teal/Black
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit
    I am going to PM you. You'll like it.
    --
    www.buttinasling.com
    Now carrying the Mini Tattoo Stove!