Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newbie with an old problem...

Hi everyone!

This is my story...

I've struggled with the right bed and have slept on everything and nothing satisfies me like a hammock.

So I decided to make the leap and got rid of my bed, went online and ordered what I anticipate to be an excellent Mayan hammock... I thought the rest would fall into place easy-peasy. That was 2 months ago!

I checked with my landlord and there is no hanging from the walls. Fair enough! I need to get a hammock stand.

My dilemma... I'd like the stand to look nice - like a quality piece of indoor furniture that will also work for a Mayan Hammock. (Keep in mind - I'm a bachelor and must be prepared to impress the future Mrs. Stubbins!)

There are a 2 models I've looked at that I dig and I list the problems I've encountered in obtaining them:

INFINITY Universal Hammock Stand...
    http://shammocknews.blogspot.com/2009/08/mayan.html
    (Really great aesthetics but the company website is gone - no contact info)

Viking Hammock Stand from Byers of Maine...
    http://www.smgeneralstore.com/hammoc...MP=101N4UROSEW
    (This one looks great! But everywhere it says that its out of stock)

Then, there's the Universal Hammock Stand - the ONLY one I can find in abundance and the only one I DON'T want in my bedroom: http://www.hammockuniverse.com/us/un...-hammocks.html (I hear you lose the "swing" with this universal stand - plus, its got the "lawn furniture" look - kinda cheesy in the bedroom)

I will make a stand myself if I must but I don't want to nor do I have time (I've been hitting brick walls just trying to obtain the right lumber I want for this project). Now, after 2 months of research, hitting and missing and getting nowhere, anything is better than sleeping on the floor which is where I am now. Ugh! I'm getting mad at myself for selling my bed!

Anyone have any ideas or any leads to a good quality, aesthetically pleasing, indoor Mayan hammock stand (I prefer it made out of wood or bamboo)?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    I like the Infinity stand a lot, but you're right, they don't have a website you can purchase one from - but - I'm guessing it's really expensive. Probably couldn't sell very many of them. Be careful if you decide on the Universal Stand. Their specs don't mention how high the stand is. There are two types of these stands, one is too low for most hammocks, the other is just barely high enough. If you haven't given up on building one, here is one that is similar to the middle choice above:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...+hammock+stand

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    How about Byer's Olymp stand? Click HERE. Pricey though! For far less money, you can make a Turtle Dog stand, stain and varnish the wood and it will look real "fancy"! Good luck!
    Last edited by Pipsissewa; 09-19-2012 at 06:47.
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    how about something like this...

http://www.nostalgic-images.co.uk/Ap...-stands-GB.asp

now these are a british company, but i personally like the effect the curve makes. there are other ones sold by american companies as well, so maybe something like the link above to impress the future mrs. stubbins
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Those are all some really great ideas, everyone! The turtle dog stand isn't bad at all... plus it would go together easy enough it seems.

Regarding the Olympic (and other arc type) stands: Has anyone around this forum used an Arc type stand with a Mayan hammock? Based on the research I've done between what the sellers claim and the first hand knowledge here... I trust you all more - I really mean that (I have learned so much by checking in here and reading this great site!). Those arc stands do look nice but they're spendy, too

Open to any other ideas or info out there!

Well, my hand woven Mayan hammock finally arrived... *sigh*

Where can I find one of these for a couple hundred bucks? LOL: http://www.delcoverwoodworking.com/V...mmockStand.jpg

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Lolol omg. Now I've seen princess beds and beds in the shape of cars, but this! This tips anything and now I want one if these as bad as I wanted the car bed as a kid...thanks!
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Haha! So true, Deadphans! The guy who made this said that he had also designed a hammock stand in the form of Cleopatra's Nile River Barge.

One question Re: that viking ship hammock stand... What happens if a person rolls out of the hammock and lands on those wooden hull spikes by accident?
    Last edited by Stubbins; 09-20-2012 at 01:19.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images

viking hammock stand

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbins View Post
    One question Re: that viking ship hammock stand... What happens if a person rolls out of the hammock and lands on those wooden hull spikes by accident?
    The short answer is he gets hurt! But Vikings are famous for that, so maybe that's the intent? (LOL)

HAHAHA! I appreciate your eye for the simple truths, Bear-Bag-Hanger!
    (I dig your avatar, too! I'm going hammock camping for the first time this weekend and I've been dreaming about being a bear punching bag all week! Can't wait!)

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    Why not build one of these? You could replace the sun cover with some mirrors Take it back to the 80's.

If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast