Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Just make sure it's 100% polyester thread. Same as Ramblinrev - I only use one kind of thread and almost always use the same size needle.
    This will probably get me in trouble around here... but I've been in trouble before...

The 100% polyester thread is important for gear which would represent a hazard if it fails. The poly/cotton blend is subject to weather damage and rot in a way 100% polyester is not. So for hammocks and structural items which my health and safety depend on I would use only 100% polyester. For stuff sacks and sleep gear and even for tarps.. I am much less picky. My wife was a professional seamstress and as such we have a ton of dressmakers thread and supplies. Much of the thread is poly/cotton and for most practical applications where safety is not a concern I see no problem using the blended thread. As always, YMMV and if you are going to buy only one big spool make it 100% polyester. If on the other hand you have a stockpile of dressmakers thread at your disposal, do not hesitate to use your stock pile to make the practice pieces. Even hammocks that will be used sheltered from the weather would be completely safe with blended thread... at least IMO.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    The Process or Evolution of becoming a newbie DIYer:

1.Originally purchased a HH as a replacement for an old backpacking tent. What I thought would be a simple and inexpensive option for warm tropical weather camping.
    2.Froze my butt the 1st night test hanging.
    3.Seeking help stumbled onto this site.
    4.Realized I was a total dork when it came to understanding anything about hammocks.
    5.Reading the threads here got the brain thinking. A bit of a dangerous thing.
    6.Scored a Singer 15-91 in excellent condition.
    7.Purchased a few cones of 100% poly thread and remnant silnylon.

I now have an assortment of sewn with my own hands stuff sacks, Bishop bags, quilt storage bags and skins. The 1st big ticket item is a tarp design I've been playing with on paper. Next step is a scaled down miniature version made of silnylon. Once the kinks are worked out hopefully a scaled version in Cuben. Then the full size Cuben.

Give credit and blame for this condition I'm in to the members of this forum.
    So much for an inexpensive alternative to a tent.

The thread I purchased was what Ray Jardine's site sells. Relative to the WalMart 100% poly thread I 1st practiced with it's is smoother with less fuzz and seems a bit thicker. Definitely stiffer. After some trial and error to get the correct the bobbin tension and correct thread tension with this thread I'm happy with it.
    Last edited by koaloha05; 11-03-2008 at 22:19.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10 Cat
    Insulation
    JRB Winter Nest
    Suspension
    Straps and Rings
    I think I'm gonna go the same way.
    Most of my work is Spring through Fall, so I don't get to hike/camp as much as I'd like and I live off the road quite a ways off grid, so I don't need curtains, but I think I'm going to enjoy this when I learn how to use my machine.

Oak

Hammock
    HH or clone
    Tarp
    OES SpinnDeluxe
    Insulation
    Homemade UQ
    Images

Nylon thread?

The 100% polyester thread is important for gear which would represent a hazard if it fails. The poly/cotton blend is subject to weather damage and rot in a way 100% polyester is not. ---Ramblin Rev

New question for an old thread. I found a cone of nylon thread at a surplus store that handles a lot of general aviation salvage and wondered if it could be used instead of polyester.

It is: Coats Aptan Lubricated Nylon. C6 33, T-35 . I don't know what these numbers mean but may be thickness? I'm learning to sew and if this isn't good maybe it will be used for practice pieces. I want to make a small underquilt and maybe stretching isn't so bad??? What do you think?

Terraplane

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraplane View Post
    It is: Coats Aptan Lubricated Nylon. C6 33, T-35 . I don't know what these numbers mean but may be thickness? I'm learning to sew and if this isn't good maybe it will be used for practice pieces. I want to make a small underquilt and maybe stretching isn't so bad??? What do you think?
    Terraplane
    T-35 is probably the thickness (Tex 35). IIRC, Gutterman and Mettler Metrosene are in about the same range.

If I were to spend a lot of time making and underquilt, I would gladly pay $3 for thread that I know is good quality. I think nylon is probably ok, but why take any chances?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    STOP NOW BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!

First you will make a simple stuff sack, then you will think "Hey, that wasn't so bad, I'll make a hammock now" Then you will be making quilts & alcohol stoves. Then you will make stuff for friends (wether they want it or not). Now you are thinking spools of thred, soon it will be cones, lots of cones.

Enough of that, I got to go make some more stuff: I havn't made a stove in nearly 3 months, and I need a net bag for my ridgeline, & a gear hammock, &, &, &.
    I can quit anytime I want, I've done it hundreds of times, , , , , this year.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraplane View Post
    The 100% polyester thread is important for gear which would represent a hazard if it fails. The poly/cotton blend is subject to weather damage and rot in a way 100% polyester is not. ---Ramblin Rev

New question for an old thread. I found a cone of nylon thread at a surplus store that handles a lot of general aviation salvage and wondered if it could be used instead of polyester.

Terraplane
    Nylon thread can be a real pain to use in a home sewing machine. It is subject to extreme stretch and can really play hob with tention adjustments. I have started hand sewing some things with nylon thread because it tends to be really strong. But it can be a real pain. Also be care of using nylon thread with polyester fabric. Nylon can cut the polyester fibers. Polyester will not cut nylon fibers and nylon thread should not cut nylon fibers. In short, nylon thread could be a problem for home sewing machines. But hey, if you can get the stuff real cheap and are aware of what pitfalls to watch for, I would see no reason why it would be worth an experiment.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    HH or clone
    Tarp
    OES SpinnDeluxe
    Insulation
    Homemade UQ
    Images

Ok, no nylon in the machine

Thanks for the advice all. Guess the cheap thread isn't worth it with my machine. I will remember about using it for hand sewing. I want to make a 2/3 UQ for going down to about 20 degrees and don't need it to be iffy. Tensioning with just cotton thread has been a learning process. My plan is to use the Walmart ripstop for a practice one and use the loose fill they have to stuff like down. I may be able to use it to car camp and my wife may be talked into hanging with me. She camped out on one bike trip with me and we went through rain, sleet and snow in October.

Doctari--I used your signature line about dragons on the lady at the Walmart fabric dept. and she loved it.

Terraplane
    Last edited by Terraplane; 12-16-2008 at 06:24.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    After a few miserable first attempts at sewi.....err, thread injecting, and breaking numerous needles and threads, I switched over to either a 110/18 or size 19 needle and a very large cone of Dk. Brown polyester upholstery thread, and have had no issues since. I also purchased a large cone of specialty heavy nylon thread from a local sewing center, and it works great in the Kenmore. Long term, it may not be as durable as the 100% poly, but it sure flows nice through my machine, and I have had no issues at all with breakage or stretch. It is very heavy duty nylon thread, and seems just as stiff as the poly upholstery thread to me, without the roughness of the upholstery thread.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12