DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...

New Zealand hang in Jan or Feb

Hi all, I am curious if we have any hangers living in New Zealand, or if any of our Aussie hangers (or anyone else willing to spend the money) would be interested in planning a hang on the south island of NZ. I am planning a vacation there with my wife and son for this time frame, and since we have friends in Christchurch (not campers), they would stay there while on my short journey.

My thought is prioritized like this:

1. Pick some semi-definite dates that would work for all interested
    2. Pick a starting location for a multiday hike/hang
    3. Pick the trail (can't be one that takes more than 4ish days)

I am sure that there is something I am leaving out with logistics but this will do to start with.

I WILL be going and I will be hiking a trail in a NP with camping involved, but I want someone to share it with since my son is not old enough to be out in the woods yet and wife will not be able to go.

I would also like to have someone along that has experience in this country if possible. Since I have never been to this country before, it would be nice to know about the area I will be in for dangers and the like. I may never have the chance to go back I want to see NZ's best! So all interested please respond. Thanks!

P.S. Are there even any New Zealand hangers???

Hammock
    warbonnet traveler &amp; eno DN
    Tarp
    D;Y;I
    Insulation
    incubator 0 deg
    Suspension
    tree straps
    Images

Hey there

im an Aussie, My names Johnathon im living in Norway and im going home for a month or so for x mas to visit my family, it has been a dream of ours to visit the Milford track in the south island we are trying to plan to get NZ after we have been home in Australia for a few weeks, the visa to Australia / NZ for my girlfriend is in the works. we were planning to hire some bikes and ride both islands we are both avid riders and were planning to hammock camp along the way and it would be great to meet some locals and fellow hangers, could be a possibility to meet up as we don't really have any set plans as yet, other than to enjoy some of the best riding and wilderness on the planet,we are not sure of the dates we will be there yet but were planning somewhere around the beginning of jan for 2 weeks

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Hi johnathon, I am glad to see someone interested so fast. I was not expecting such a fast reply for this. I personally am unsure of the biking thing, i grew up biking so I know how, but I never have done long distance on one. it might possibly be something to think about if no one else is interested though.

I would definitely be up for Milford, but what about kahurangi? The pictures I have seen of it are breath taking. I don't know much though about NZ, I have never been there before. If you think that Milford would be better, then I'd be all for it. At this point it's all suggestions...

Hammock
    homemade
    Tarp
    homemade
    Insulation
    homemade UQ
    Suspension
    tree straps
    Images
    hey fish the south island is real nice and cold but nice to look at i live in the Northisland and it is just as nice as the south now good thing here is there is no snakes and nothing that will bite or kill you only mossie but you just spray those little blood suckers no chiggers no ticks only on the cattle and thats where they stay so i would say you will be real safe here i hope you have a real good time. but if you don't want to be cold go to the north island

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Hey all, The wife and I have changed plans due to my sons age. She not only wants to go on the hiking excursion I am dreaming of, she also wants my son to enjoy it too. So I will be doing this trip somtime in my future. I will make a new thread when the time comes, but it won't be for a few years.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    warbonnet traveler &amp; eno DN
    Tarp
    D;Y;I
    Insulation
    incubator 0 deg
    Suspension
    tree straps
    Images

hey

thats a shame we are still going,and planning to stay in queenstown for a while and then go further on would have been nice to see you there but understandable have it good,all best to you and yours maybe see you on the trail in the future

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Thanks John. I will pm you if I ever get the chance to go after this. I was pretty bummed when we discussed it, but I don't want my son to forget this once in a lifetime trip. Thanks for the good wishes and take care...
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Foam Pads
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Ya that's too bad man, there are some amazing hikes on the south island.

• + New Posts