Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Thermarest & Bag
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners

Talking My First Hang - Indian Cave State Park

Hello everyone. Hows it hanging?

So, I just got back from my first ever trip with my new HH Expl Zip. I went to Indian Cave State Park in Nebraska. I live around Norfolk NE and this was about a 4 hour drive to get there. I have been here several times before for backpacking and regular tent camping. I go here about twice a year.

Anyways this was the first time I had spent a night in my hammock. I slept in my hammock the first night and then in my tent the second night just to give them a good side by side comparison. I used a Thermarest Pad and a 25 degree bag as the temperature dropped down to about 38 at night in both the hammock and my tent.

I have got to say that I WILL NEVER sleep on the ground on a pad in a tent again. The hammock was so comfortable. I woke up refreshed and ready to greet the day with absolutely NO joint or back pain whatsoever. When I woke up in my tent as soon as I stood up I could feel the familiar ache of my back and stiffness I have been use to when backpacking.

My brother-in-law Russ and my nephew Jacob went with me and I was able make them into hammock converts too. They had already bought hammocks before the trip after seeing mine when I first bought it. After they had laid in it for a few minuets they also bought HH.

Jacob was in a Scout model and Russ was in an Expedition model. Russ was worried that he and Jacob would get cold in their hammocks. Russ and Jacob used pads in their hammocks and stayed perfectly warm like I did. Actually, I had to open my bag and kick off the top layer as I was sweating inside there. Russ and Jacob both slept in a tent as I did the second night to have a fair test between hammock and tent. Well glad to tell you that Hammock won hands down. Both Russ and Jacob said that they were way, way, way more comfortable in the hammock than in the tent and when we go backpacking they will never sleep on the ground again.

Overall, it was a great trip. I am now thinking about buying my first undercover. I can imagine how much nice it is to sleep with this instead of having the pad slide around in my hammock. I also would imagine it would e easier to get a better lay in the hammock with just a sleeping bag and not having to try to stay on a pad. Well, just wanted to tell you all I am so sold on hammocking. I will try to post some pics of the trip here. If they dont show up I am sorry. I am not sure how to do this. Ok, here it goes, hopefully some pics show up below this.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Glad that your trip was a success. Thanks for sharing.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Thermarest & Bag
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Ok, here are some pics of my trip. I am the big guy in the black shirt with the Pink Floyd Hat on. Russ is in the white shirt and Jacob is obviously the little kid. Here are some pics of us and where we were camped and some of the scenery.
    100_0006.jpg
    Me Standing by my hammock.

100_0020.jpg
    Me Standing there.

100_0028.jpg
    Russ messing with Jacobs hammock.

100_0033.jpg
    Jacob and Russ's Hammocks

100_0061.jpg
    Jake and Russ

100_0073.jpg
    Missouri River Valley Pics

100_0109.jpg
    Park Entrance Sign.
    Last edited by stustumble; 10-01-2012 at 09:41. Reason: Adding text to pics.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    I have got to say that I WILL NEVER sleep on the ground on a pad in a tent again. The hammock was so comfortable.
    I felt the same way when I got use to the hammock. Not only is it more comfortable, but I'm carrying half the weight in my backpack when I carry a hammock instead of a tent.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Indian Cave is a nice park for hiking and lots of trees for the hammocks. Glad you found the hammock is better than on the ground. Not a surprise to any one here.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

• + New Posts