Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Zip ties vs Whipping

Is one more reliable than the other? Will zip ties crack at cold temps? I've got a bunch of zip ties laying around, why not put them to use?

Images
    While in my mind zip-ties could be used, after having used them for many years in my house and in the industry I find that they deteriorate faster than a good whipping might. Especially if you seal the whipping after having applied it. On the other hand zip-ties are hard at best to pull as tight as you can do a whipping.

Yes I am sure that the larger sizes could last a little longer and have much more tensil strength than the smaller ones again I find that without a tool to pull the tie tight it just does not do the job.

Of course as always that is my opinion and most people are quite aware of what one's opinions are worth or that everyone has one.

TOG

Images
    Here's a thought. In the field it will be easier to replace the whipping than a wire tie. The rope for the whipping will already be there. A wire tie is a one time use item. But I think if you are at home an constantly changing whipping and testing different ideas, then wire ties are far easier and pretty cheap.

Than again, the engineer in me always thinks of ways things can go wrong or fail.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

What kind of rope do you use for whipping?

Images
    I am using armsteel 7/64" spectra right now. Way overkill. But I have a bunch of it and it is pretty cheap.

Noob question: what is the point in whipping. Does it perform a stop for the other rope?

I just made my first hammock this week and I was going to use zip ties on the ends but i went with Teblums suggestion of a double sheet bend instead. so far its holding good, havent spent the whole night in it yet, just a few hours but it hasnt moved and is really simple to take apart to adjust the folds. I'm still playing with it but Its not as comfortable as my HH yet.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by southpawx3 View Post
    I just made my first hammock this week and I was going to use zip ties on the ends but i went with Teblums suggestion of a double sheet bend instead. so far its holding good, havent spent the whole night in it yet, just a few hours but it hasnt moved and is really simple to take apart to adjust the folds. I'm still playing with it but Its not as comfortable as my HH yet.
    Can you post some pics of that? I have been thinking about giving that a try.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by funbun View Post
    Noob question: what is the point in whipping. Does it perform a stop for the other rope?
    Ask away, that is why we are here.

The whipping hold the hammock shape on the ends and stops the rope from going off of the end. A knot would do the same thing. A knot is simple and basically fool proof. The knot is just 1 half hitch.

The advantage to whipping the end is that you can easily undo it and redo it later. After a few minutes to a few hours it is hard to undo a knot.
    Last edited by Coffee; 02-18-2007 at 00:51.

HE -- I took some pics but you really cant see the lay of the webbing against the fabric so i didn't post them. best thing is to try it yourself its pretty simple to do with a piece of rope or webbing and a scrap piece of fabric. just bunch it up like you would for a hammock end and make it into a "U". when you tighen it up keep the end of the fabric a little past the webbing then it'll just hang free after everything is tight. rope definately makes a neater bend but the webbing holds just a well although it takes up a little more room

http://www.tollesburysc.co.uk/Knots/Sheet_bend.htm
    the fabric will be your orange line and the support will be the blue line
    not sure if i am being clear

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast