Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images

vacation group hang or national hang?

Ok so this would be either a 2 part question or a combo deal.

I guess one could select a group hang not local and plan a trip for vacation, but what about a hang set up specifically for people to vacation to? I am in the charlotte nc area and although we have some wonderful parks within reach none compare to some of this countries wonders. Yellowstone, grand canyon, titans and many places I could google but can't think of. (if I had a passport I would say foreign or domestic... Or maybe I should just get one and consider)

my second question would be what about a national ( or at least 2 east of miss/west of miss) hang. Something that could bring together people from all location( including our longer distance hangers). 16000 hf members. If not a hang how about an outdoor expo for hangers? Or is there one? I know of other conventions with outdoors in mind, but what about just for hangers?

sorry to ramble.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I think the MAHA is about as close as one gets to a semi national hang. It is roughly centrally located on the east coast so covers the maximum number of folks. OTOH few folks have either the time or inclination for a multi day drive to get to any hang.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL Snipe
    Tarp
    OES10x12catcutSpin
    Insulation
    Yeti,HG
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    I try to go out annually, actually met a fellow HF member and spent a week hiking in the Sierra. I'm sure fellow hangers in other areas would welcome company to any planned events.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    so my next question is whats maha or otoh?

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

MAHHA=mid atlantic hammock hangers association I believe.
    OTOH=on the other hand

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    You can also looking to the gorge Rat gatherings in the beautiful Linville Gorge. Mostly it's a bunch of regional locals (SC, NC, TN, VA, WV, GA) but there are a few who travel a bit further such as TZ and Shug.

Plus it is quite possibly the most beautiful place on Earth not covered with so many tourists that you have to wait in line to see the sights.

http://linvillegorge.net/
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Lots of folks do travel around for various hangs. Here in Idaho at my annual hang I have yet to get another Idahoan to attend. So far folks from far and a lot farther have been coming.

In the past there have been talks about trying to do larger regional hangs. There was talk of a Western Hang either here in Idaho or on the Oregon cost several years back. Last year there was talk of a Grand Canyon hang. The trouble is that it's a big country and with the economy and gas prices it can be a challenge for lost of folks to travel a couple hours to do their own camping they want to do. Getting folks to come to a hang in their own backyards (so to speak) can be a change both scheduling and financially speaking.

It's a great idea, don't get me wrong, I think it would be a blast to have a huge hang. Logistics is the tricky part.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    modded grand trunk sb pro
    Tarp
    cammo 8' x 10'
    Suspension
    woopie
    i would go to a national hang, travel is good for me. always up for new territory. mahha unfortunately is coastal. so not really in the middle of the half of the country that is east of mississippi. have no problem personally goin that far tho. love me some oceanview. i think a official national hammock forums outing would be fantastic. a new venue each year would allow hangers to see all the "hot spots"

Hammock
    DIY
    Images

MAHHAand OTOH not too far apart

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    MAHHA=mid atlantic hammock hangers association I believe.
    OTOH=on the other hand
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    You can also looking to the gorge Rat gatherings in the beautiful Linville Gorge. Mostly it's a bunch of regional locals (SC, NC, TN, VA, WV, GA) but there are a few who travel a bit further such as TZ and Shug.

Plus it is quite possibly the most beautiful place on Earth not covered with so many tourists that you have to wait in line to see the sights.

http://linvillegorge.net/
    MAHHA has depended on the sharing of chores by many folks who stepped up to help out with needs posted by a few dedicated (but unelected) leaders.
    The first and best solution to any leadership crisis has always been to need leaders less!
    This has allowed MAHHA hangs to grow and change. Recent questions about national hangs and hammock camping trade shows indicate that the forces of change are alive and well. There are also trends toward smaller groups getting together for prehikes or separate events. MAHHA has had some growing pains. I doubt that Linville wants to duplicate them. For my part, I want to travel less, and I'm not sure I want to see some of my West Virginia haunts get overpopulated. Whatever changes we see, I'm sure they will be interesting. Also (obviously) some good things are worth hanging onto.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*TQ/ 0* UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by soulsurvivor View Post
    i would go to a national hang, travel is good for me. always up for new territory. mahha unfortunately is coastal. so not really in the middle of the half of the country that is east of mississippi. have no problem personally goin that far tho. love me some oceanview. i think a official national hammock forums outing would be fantastic. a new venue each year would allow hangers to see all the "hot spots"
    I agree with soulsurvivor on the national hang idea. I'd definitely try to make it. The MAHHA is a great event. I hope to be able to attend some more hangs, national, or regional.
    2019 NJ Winter Hang Coup De Grace De Grub Champion
    Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On. - Jimmy Buffett
    https://lighterpack.com/r/yk6y8s

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast