Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by camoxjeep View Post
    I am actually setting up an "Introduction to Hammocks" curriculum right now to start going around different scout units (cubs, boys and venturing). .
    That's awesome. My 15 year old twins are boy scouts and we all started hammocking this past winter, so far so great. This last weekend our troop did Mount Greylock in Massachusetts and the whole family carried a hammock up. My brave and trusting wife slept in a hammock for the first time ever, opted to not take a sleeping bag (she used a pad under and a pair of JCP down puffers zipped together as a crude overquilt) temps got to 37* and she slept fine. I ordered some tablecloths and twins slapped some homemade amsteel whopies on and they were good to go.

Joey is proud to have put together all of his gear- homemade toggles, a black bishop bag, gathered end hammock, etc. He got the OK to make a presentation to his troop on the virtues of hanging. There was another scout who also hammocked, his dad is a long-time member here too.

I think hammocks are ideal for scouts, light weight, inexpensive and fun.

Hammock
    Homebrew Argon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff

Hammock popularity growing in Scouting

Lots of good wisdom here. I look forward to referring back to this as my Webelo hanger hits scouting in a year.

Supporting the Scoutmaster makes sense for sure but I also think that two hammocks under a shared tarp is awfully close to sharing a tent. My son and I have spent many nights under the same Hennessy Hex in the "same tent".

Hammock
    My DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY SilNylon
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by PinewoodNut View Post
    I'm having an issue I didn't expect. My son's Scoutmaster has told me that the answer is "no hammocking unless 2 boys are in the same hammock". He wants the buddy system in place to let one boy know in the middle of the night if a.....

.......my e-reader with the boys. With the hard copy I could answer any questions and loan out the book to anyone really interested.

For now, I'll hang when I can with the troop and help guide my son. It's his choice to sleep on the ground or do something about it if he wants to.

I'd like to hear your thoughts. I know from this thread that I'm not the only one in this situation.
    Hmmmm, I'm somewhat perplexed. As a Cub Master and Webelo I leader for my youngest I'm encouraging both my boys to learn how to setup their own rig.

I'm also good friends with the Scout Master in the troop that my oldest is in and have not heard of anything as non-sensicle as two boys in a hammock.

You have to ask yourself what does the SM do on a backpacking trip when a boy brings a one-man tent. Is he going to force another boy in his tent? Don't think so.

Me personally would have to ask, in a nice way, where exactly is two boys to a hammock stated in the Boy Scout Handbook and seek advice at the counsel and district level.

My $.02
    Psalm 46:10

Hammock
    Homebrew Argon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff

^that is sensible advice.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

personal issues

Quote Originally Posted by PinewoodNut View Post
    ...My son's Scoutmaster has told me that the answer is "no hammocking unless 2 boys are in the same hammock". He wants the buddy system in place to let one boy know in the middle of the night if another gets up...

...I started talking with the SM about it and then he switched from buddy system to LNT. He seemed concerned about damage to trees, then impacting the areas outside the hard pack where countless troops have tented countless times...

...He even told me he has hung before, with both good and bad results... ...Troop politics vs. BSA policies, or the lack of, are always a potential land mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beach Lad View Post
    In my son's troop they use the buddy system when they hammock. Both scouts are expected to hang close to each other. They often hang off a common tree. They are almost always close enough to talk to each other in normal conversational tones. Having two scouts share a hammock would be awkward at best. The buddy system doesn't mean they have to be shoulder to shoulder at all times.
    I think the issue is a personal one with the leader that has been given the power to make decisions. He's obviously someone who thinks he has experience, but doesn't. He's not thinking of the positive possibilities, only the potential negative issues as he perceives them to be. One of the reasons we have our own forum is because of folks like him on Whiteblaze. Lots of traditional thinking and close-mindedness led to maddening discussions that went nowhere. Hanging has always been about the possibilities and how to deal with the issues, whereas some traditional mindsets can't get around the issues, but refuse to think there's anything wrong with scalding the landscape with bare dirt and tent platforms.

Beach lad's troop is an example of their leaders taking the same regulation and doing something positive with it.

IMO, you'll have issues with this person in charge regardless. I would take the little leeway he gives you, not create much in terms of waves, and let the hammocks do the work of either changing his mind or succumbing to the pressure from others to have their own hammocks.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird single 1.7
    Tarp
    mamajamba
    Insulation
    APEX Jarbridge
    Suspension
    straps n' WHOOPIES
    I wish I would have known all the benefits of hammocking when I was back in scouts, or heck even year ago :-)

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Light DL
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    New River KAQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    I'm a beaver leader here in Canada for our group as well as a rover. I'll be at Canada Jamboree this July hopefully hanging! Anyone else going to be there from here? Anyone been to Sylvan park Alberta and know some good hanging spots?
    "Who needs a bed when you have.... HAMMOCKS!" - The Doctor

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Pheonix/Burrow 3S
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Quote Originally Posted by Midday-Moon View Post
    I'm a beaver leader here in Canada for our group as well as a rover. I'll be at Canada Jamboree this July hopefully hanging! Anyone else going to be there from here? Anyone been to Sylvan park Alberta and know some good hanging spots?
    Ill be at the jamboree. I've been told that they can't guarantee good hanging trees
    But from looking at google earth of the area looks like lots if trees - I hope I can get two to hang from.

Ill be prepared to go to ground with an Exped down mat and use my UQ in a pillow case for a super comfy pillow (TQ will keep me warm on top )
    But I'm gonna do what I've done every other time I've camped over the last two years - I will find some trees

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG under quilt
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    As a SM in one of our local Troops I allow(encourage) the boys to camp in hammocks on outings. Council Events where there might not be enough tree's, our Troop as enough tents for all the boys to use and double up. I have spent the last 2 years at summer camp in a hammock, I just take my yard stand and sleep like a baby. Our Camp Commissioners love the idea. Slowly but surely our Troop is leaning more and more towards using hammocks. I love the idea with 6 in my family(wife included) we all use eno dn.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    ENO Housefly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    I contacted someone in the know and he said to send an email to [email protected] to get a new idea on the to be considered list. If this has not been done already, I think it should be.

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast