Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Any that works
    To provide some privacy, have a tall cheap tent available for changing clothes and such. its a good place to store their personal gear.

The problem I deal with is lack of sufficient hanging spots withing a realistic distance from camp. Our troop seems to end up at State Parks, and overcrowding is an issue. If the leaders are not careful when we pull into camp on friday night the troop gets scattered over 3 square miles.

The real fun begins when The Boys and Parents with Hammocks get into fist fights over the best spots.

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I just took my son (finally convinced him) to his first Cub Scout meeting last week. I'm looking forward to him getting involved. I hope to impart some of my hammock knowledge on the young, moldable minds.
    Last edited by JaxHiker; 10-03-2012 at 22:45.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

We had a Webelos den campout last weekend. We had two leaders and 1 Scout in three hammocks (me in my Dangerbird, my son in his WBBB, and another leader in his Hennessy) and four tents. We have a big pack campout coming up in 2 weeks, and I imagine we'll have at least 5 or 6 hangers (Scouts and Scouters).

One of those Scouters whose son is in our Pack (and he's my Asst. Cubmaster) is Scoutmaster for a local troop, and they have a bunch of hangers. The boys mostly use ENO Singles but at least one leader has a WBBB and another couple have Hennessy rigs.

My son wants to go to that troop next year, and one of the factors is all the hangers!
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it; we go to smooth it." -- Nessmuk

Assistant Scoutmaster, Troop 102, Fayetteville, Arkansas

Hammock
    DIY Double Layer w/ Whoopie Slings
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Hanging Troop

I am an ASM for a troop in South Carolina near Charlotte. When my son and I joined this troop 3 years ago, on a typical campout there were 2-4 boys in hammocks, everyone else in tents. Two weeks ago we went on a campout to Black Mountain in North Carolina. We had 18 bodies there and only two tents set up. Most of the scouts were in ENO hammocks, a few leaders in HH, and my middle son and I in our newly finished DIY hammocks. (I had a few inquiries about my DIY hammock, might have to ramp up production!)
    I guess it's a good thing there is no professional help for this hanging addiction!:

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 Dl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Ozark
    Suspension
    ADJ webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Great to hear. I hope they are still following the LNT way in the woods with the hammocks.
    This from our Digital Eagle in Alabama.

HAMMOCK POLICY - The GAC Forestry Management Committee has adopted a new policy for hammock use at GAC camps. This policy can be used as a "Best Practices" teaching opportunity for both youth and adults.

* Selects trees with "tough" bark such as oak, hickory or pine over trees with "thin" bark such as maple or dogwood
    * Securing the hammock must be temporary. No nails, eye bolts, screws, etc. put in trees at any time.
    * 1 1/2 "-2" tension straps are approved and recommended over rope.
    * Secure hammocks to trees 8" in diameter or larger.

Note the Digital Eagle is the news letter the district sends out.
    Last edited by Postal; 10-08-2012 at 16:26. Reason: Added info on what the digital Eagle is
    Where ever you go,
    There you are.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Sounds like the Digital Eagle has a good plan.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Some very good conversation here. As a former SM and a hanger in our troop for the last 3 years, there are a couple of points I would like to add:

1) I am sure we have a lot of young scouts in our group and while it is very fun to discuss our Ordeal memories with other members, let's not forget it is an open forum. Best to keep all descriptions out of this conversation and maintain the mystery.

2) There will always be Troop policies and traditions that don't make sense to one parent or another. While I fully support having the conversation and informing when necessary, if it comes down to Troop politics, please don't make your Scoutmaster's job anymore difficult by trying to force something they are not comfortable with. You can always remove the restriction when you take over the SM position.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    Dream Freebird & Sparrow
    Tarp
    Cave Creek 12' XL
    Insulation
    Puffles & DIY
    Suspension
    Straps & rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Alamosa View Post
    ... if it comes down to Troop politics, please don't make your Scoutmaster's job anymore difficult by trying to force something they are not comfortable with. You can always remove the restriction when you take over the SM position.
    Been there, done that. Literally! Stepped back down to ASM after 3 years and let some "new blood" take over. It was good for both of us. We are both still going strong, even though both of our sons (Eagles) aged out several years ago.

I even get him to hang in his hammock occasionally. He still tents more than he hangs though. I just can't figure that one out. But I don't hold it against him!
    Numbers 35:34
    You shall not defile the land in which you live, in the midst of which I dwell...

"You can lead a man to Congress, but you can't make him think." - Milton Berle

"I think the surest sign that there is intelligent life out there in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." (Calvin and Hobbes/Bill Waterson)

Hammock
    Kalisto
    Tarp
    Funky Forest
    Insulation
    One Tigris
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Our Troop is hosting a Camporee and I had 2 troops call to see if we have trees to hang there hammocks from (which we have plenty) so we may have a dozen or more hang this weekend!!!

Hammock
    Dangerbird or WBBB
    Tarp
    4 s Cuben Z-packs
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Burrow
    Suspension
    Some of everything
    Images
    I just volunteered to be the District Camping Chairman.

Guess what I'm going to start pushing!!

I am waiting for the right time at a Council Camping Committee meeting to bring up a Hammock Site. Enough hammocks for an entire troop!! Oh...whew......got a little light headed there.
    Experts are the ones who think they know everything. Geniuses are the ones who know they don't.

You need seek no rocky summit, for these high places are within you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast