Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I'm an Assistant Scout Master in my son's troop. At the last Winter Camporee I hung, and most of the boys thought it was neat. My son isn't real interested in hammocking during Troop campouts as he'd rather bunk with his buddies in their tents so they can all fart and tell jokes most of the night. Which, as I remember from my boyhood is mostly what we did

Found this article:
    http://scoutingmagazine.org/2012/06/...mmock-camping/

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyavmc View Post
    i am having the same issues with my sons troop. they the other scoutmasters keep telling him he cant do it. violates the buddy rule. the worst one they use is that he will be cold. last meeting the talk was on winter camping and staying warm. my so raised his hand and said thats simpole use a full uq. i loved it and the looks he got wow. so i bought a coppy of the ulta met hang by derek my hero to give the scoutmaster tomarrow at our campout at trappers in newton ks. i dont want to cause waves in our troop. but both my son and i will be loyal hangers in the piney woods. if any other scouters out there know of a hard and fast no hammock rules in scouts please let me know before i make the tent croud mad.
    There are not hard and fast hammock rules, besides no hammocks at Philmont. It's a local decision.

My boys' troop has a rule that you have to have a tent buddy until Star rank. My oldest started tenting on his own at that point. he's got a hammock, we just have to have a good situation to use it. We've had campouts without enough trees :-(
    Time is but the stream I go afishing in. Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    Eno Single-Nest (for now!)
    Tarp
    Eno Pro Fly Tarp
    Insulation
    sleeping bag pad
    Suspension
    Eno Slap straps
    I will make a diy hammock pretty soon. If it turns out well, I'll let others try out my ENO single nest on trips. Maybe I can convert everyone.
    Hammock camping. Camping in comfort.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    LOL, similar to the Spanish conquistadors, or was it the inquisition?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt0Y39eMvpI
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 Dl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Ozark
    Suspension
    ADJ webbing
    Images
    I am going to our Scouting University this weekend and they have a Scouting level course on hammocks this year. How to pick a site, protect the trees, and what you need and how to use it. Taking it just to see what they say. Going to take my gear in case they need examples.
    Where ever you go,
    There you are.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I am a Scouter in Vancouver, BC. Hammocking isnt all that popular here yet. I still get tonnes of looks from other people at large events.

There are a few Scout camps close by and no one has said I can't hammock. Then again, I haven't actually asked if I could....Way better to ask forgiveness than permission in a situation like that....

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    DaisyChain/Carab
    Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    I'm a scouter who has been camping with a hammock for almost two years. One of the boys is claiming that the Scoutmaster told him that he cannot camp in a hammock with the Troop. I'm trying to figure out what to do. My oldest son wants to hammock as well, and I'm naturally gungho about hammocks.

The first thing is I need to find out what exactly was said. Second, if the boy is accurately conveying the message, I will need an explanation for why. Third, I have to figure out in Troop politics what I can do about it.
    Fourth: get to punching.

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    I'm a scouter who has been camping with a hammock for almost two years. One of the boys is claiming that the Scoutmaster told him that he cannot camp in a hammock with the Troop. I'm trying to figure out what to do. My oldest son wants to hammock as well, and I'm naturally gungho about hammocks.

The first thing is I need to find out what exactly was said. Second, if the boy is accurately conveying the message, I will need an explanation for why. Third, I have to figure out in Troop politics what I can do about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieCash View Post

Fourth: get to punching.
    No need, as I posted, it was a miscommunication. When the boy asked about it, the next campout was our camporee--minimal space available. It wasn't appropriate for hammocks. Basically, the rule is, if we've got space and trees and you are a Star Scout or above, hammocks are ok.
    Time is but the stream I go afishing in. Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    This past weekend at the SC Spring Swing, there was a large group of Boy Scouts in the other group sites. When the Scoutmaster arrived and saw our hammocks, he said he had messed up. He said that a lot of the boys had told him they wanted to sleep in hammocks and that he had told them they were camping behind the dunes and there wouldn't be any trees. We WERE camping behind the dunes...in the WOODS! They had to hike in past all of our hammocks to get to their sites.
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Kelty 12
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    BW webbing
    I rilly have nothing to add to the discussion other than to give my complement to those of you who give of you're time to the youth by the way of scouting !!!!!
    I spent a very short time as a Cub Scout, but there never seemed to be a male figure around and sober long enough to act as a leader.
    I always wished I could have been more involved with the things people learned and experience as scouts. Although I have done most of the activities and learned the same skills I did as a solo activity, or as nessasity.
    As an adult I have come in contact with many young men and it seems like a higher majority that have a level head on there shoulders and have there lives together have a background in scouting.
    So from a non scout that promotes and supports scouting thank you who are and do.

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast