Tarp
    Funky Forest
    Insulation
    One Tigris
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images

Hammock popularity growing in Scouting

Went to a Order of the Arrow event last weekend.There were 8 hammocks in our campsite about 1 in 3 !!! My troop now has 4 people with hammocks!! Several years ago I was the only one in our district with hammocks!!!

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Cool, I have scouting events the next 3 weekends. Helping with leader training this weekend, OA ordeal, and then Fall camporee. Will be hanging all three weekends and using my Turtledog stand. So far, I am the only one hanging, but have another leader in the troop is is interested.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

My son and I just went thru Ordeal last weekend...

He in his poncho-tarp army surplus hammock, and me in my Hennessy... (At least the second night. First night on the ground WAS an ordeal!)

Met several others in Enos, WBBBs, and others.

It's great to see more folks hanging around at events like this... It really prompts people to stop and ask about hammock camping!

Last year at summer camp we had 6 or 7 scouts that picked up the inexpensive nylon hammocks they had in the scout shop and hung them in their tents! (You remember those old canvas tents they had at camp back when? They're still there! Ha!)

Too much fun!

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    (You remember those old canvas tents they had at camp back when? They're still there! Ha!)
    What you talk'n bout? Our troop still has and uses them for camporees. Canvas wall tents and cots, except for me, I haven't sleep in one in about two years. Using my hammock and stand. Now will be the first time with the Turtledog stand.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Great to hear. I hope they are still following the LNT way in the woods with the hammocks.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    What you talk'n bout? Our troop still has and uses them for camporees. Canvas wall tents and cots, except for me, I haven't sleep in one in about two years. Using my hammock and stand. Now will be the first time with the Turtledog stand.
    The boys actually hung theirs INSIDE the old canvas tents! Tied off to the metal supports and the door open on either end... It was really pretty nice!

I don't think any of them are taking cots again this year!

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Me and my son attended a cubscout camping trip in hammocks. we were the talk of the trip. I am sure we will see more hammocking going forward.

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    I'm a scouter who has been camping with a hammock for almost two years. One of the boys is claiming that the Scoutmaster told him that he cannot camp in a hammock with the Troop. I'm trying to figure out what to do. My oldest son wants to hammock as well, and I'm naturally gungho about hammocks.

The first thing is I need to find out what exactly was said. Second, if the boy is accurately conveying the message, I will need an explanation for why. Third, I have to figure out in Troop politics what I can do about it.
    Time is but the stream I go afishing in. Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    BIAS XL Camper, ENO DN
    Tarp
    12x10 WL tarp
    Insulation
    Junebug quilts
    Suspension
    WS, TH, ET
    Images
    My first year at summer camp was hot. Like middle of July South Carolina HOT. Our camp was just south of charleston on James island. My first night in the old canvas tents I remembered from my scouting youth ( in the pa mountains ) sweating like crazy. I bought a travels rest single at the trading post the next day. I had some climbing rope in my gear box and after a few knots I was hanging in pure bliss. The only bad part was every time I had to move out of the hammock I found a scout in it. After a week of telling them to get there own hammock ( but I spend all my money on candy I would hear ) parents night was here. That night ther were about twenty hammocks all over the camp site. Our scout master gave me a funny look and said it was all my fault. A few years later I went through my OA spring ordeal ( another HOT season ). After my ordeal was over I realized I forgot my hammock so back to the trading post for a brand new eno dn ( a nice gift to me ) and found that a lot of people were using hammocks like hennesys and eno's.
    Life looks better from a BIAS hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    I'm a scouter who has been camping with a hammock for almost two years. One of the boys is claiming that the Scoutmaster told him that he cannot camp in a hammock with the Troop. I'm trying to figure out what to do. My oldest son wants to hammock as well, and I'm naturally gungho about hammocks.

The first thing is I need to find out what exactly was said. Second, if the boy is accurately conveying the message, I will need an explanation for why. Third, I have to figure out in Troop politics what I can do about it.
    Yeah, might need to mention that Lord Baden-Powell camped in a hammock....

http://hennessyhammock.com/articles/scouting/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast