Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Ozark
    Suspension
    ADJ webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrescue View Post
    I contacted someone in the know and he said to send an email to [email protected] to get a new idea on the to be considered list. If this has not been done already, I think it should be.
    Our council already has a hammock policy and approves of their use. In the end it is up to your council. Talk to your District Exec. to have them bring it up at their next Council meeting.
    Where ever you go,
    There you are.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    ENO Housefly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    After I posted that, I realized I wasn't very clear. This is the contact for suggesting a new merit badge.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 Dl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Ozark
    Suspension
    ADJ webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrescue View Post
    After I posted that, I realized I wasn't very clear. This is the contact for suggesting a new merit badge.
    Works too.
    Where ever you go,
    There you are.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ TQ
    Suspension
    WS to Ridged Strap
    Images
    - William -

How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. - Psalms 119:9

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts

Spring Camporee 2013

Had a great Spring Camporee this past weekend. We had about 200 individuals in attendance. We have had almost a week straight of rain, but it did take a break for much of our Saturday activities - the boys learned fly fishing. The OA call-out was a huge highlight as usual.

Unfortunately, since I hammock, I was unable to pack into the tight camping areas with all the tenters and had to go way over by myself to the trees.

Here is my sight on the banks of the Yellowstone River.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

I'm Chartered Org Rep for a Pack and Troop, as well as Committee Chair for the Pack.

My Oldest Just crossed over, and the CM told him he was fine camping with a Hammock, as long as he can set it all up himself. (I kind of suggested that limitation to him, the SM and I are good friends.)

This gave my son a big kick in the pants to learn some knot tying skills, which will serve him well down the road. He won't be able to use it at summer camp because of some rules - No scout is allowed to use their own tent, everyone has to be in the Canvas monstrosities setup in advance.

My Youngest 3 (2 Tigers and a Daisy Girl Scout) all have their own Hammocks as well, and regularly use them when with me on a camping trip. Can't get Mom off the air mattress yet... But It's quite the sight when our family goes camping though.

We have not had any issues with getting permission to use hammocks at council or district events. In fact, we have had several of the council staff come up and ask about them, and one even wanted to put the pic of us all hanging at a cub campout in the district newsletter.

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    Hex rain fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter
    Images
    Just got back from a hammock camp with some Scouts. 4 HH,1 Chrysalis, 20 DIY. Once they saw our hammocks, they all wanted one. So I guess the parents are going to have to shell out some bucks for next year. Converted 3 Leaders to hammocks.

Hammock
    Dream Hammocks Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammockgear, KAQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles baby
    Just had the Blackbird on it's maiden voyage for our Scout outing two weekends ago. There was another hammock present as well, but just for lounging. There are some boys planning to use hammocks at summer camp as well.

Bruce

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    Hex rain fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter
    Images
    Some Scouts prefer their privacy & independance, a hammock gives them that. I just started running a hammock camp at our Scout camp, the response was overwhelming. Next year we might double. If there are any Scout groups in southern Ontario, & want to hang next May, let me know.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge/SB
    Images

Re: Hammock popularity growing in Scouting

Scouts in our troop were hesitant the first time they saw my WBBB, but they all wanted to look. If my sinus infection goes away in time, I'm going camping this Saturday again... Hopefully a few will be brave enough to test it out.

A couple of the scout masters were interested, having bad backs, again only looked. It'll grow on them, that's my goal!

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast