Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ripstop rash

Ripstop rash

Anyone have a I guess you'd call it an allergic reaction to ripstop material ? I've been sleeping in my hammock for the last week. At first I slept in sweatpants and a long sleeved shirt as I had no bug screen and only the occasional mosquito. My wife made me a bugnet and I started sleeping in shorts and short sleeved shirt. The first night I awoke in the morning with a severe itching of my rear end. I thought maybe the mosquitoes were biting me through the hammock but I have a DL hammock and like I said only an occasional mosquito. The next morning I awoke with a rash and heat on my right shoulder where my shoulder rest against the material. I still have the rash after two days. This morning I awoke with my foot and leg itching on the left side where my leg rest against the material. I would have gone back to sleep but the itching was driving me crazy so I went ahead and got up. I have been blessed with a lack of any allergies. Poison oak doesn't even bother me. The only thing I can think is I'm having some sort of reaction to the ripstop material. I wonder if anyone has had this problem. Should I maybe wash the hammock?
    There's no excuse for laziness...

but, if you find one, let me know.

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    I had the same problem, wash your hammock with very mild soap, be sure the soap is not perfumed, rinse it more than you think necessary, at least one added rinse after the water is clear.

Nylon is not likely to be the cause of your allergy, probably the chemicals on the fabric from the mfg. process, maybe something put on the fabric to protect it while it waits for the end purchaser. Maybe some type of pollen has gotten onto the fabric.

I just last Sunday I had a reaction to the seats in a brand new vehicle. I tried to ignore the itching, because we were on a road trip. When we arrived home the itching was burning, When I examined myself, I had blisters where my skin was in contact with the car seat fabric. This is Thursday, I still have blisters. I am sure it was not the nylon slacks I had on, because they were clean and I have worn them in the past, without any problems. It would have to be the seats, probably the fabric the seats are made of, or chemicals used on the fabric.

After washing and drying, try an afternoon nap and see what happens. You could also always wear something between your skin and the hammock.

Some people if they get hot and sweaty they develope a rash, that could be your case but I doubt it, you are an adult and you would already know if that was something your body does.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Poison ivy or oak may have gotten on the fabric and/or clothing, bedding (ie topquilt). Allergies sometimes change as we age.
    Take a benadryl to deal with your symptoms. Anti-itch creams.
    I've been bitten thru double layers before, so don't disallow that happening.
    Chiggers, spiders and other critters will find their way into the hammock. Treat your gear with permethrin (after you insure your not allergic to ripstop) or make/purchase a bugnet.

Give everything a thorough wash and see if there is another reaction after your symptoms clear.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Maybe a caterpillar left hairs on the fabric. Wash it well. I like gargoyle's suggestions, but read the warnings about combining benadryl with anti-itch creams. Do one or the other - not both.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    +1 -- Wash your hammock. If you didn't wash the fabric beforehand, you may be experiencing a reaction to any one of the finishers (formaldehyde), fungicides or pesticides routinely applied to fabrics by manufacturers. These chemicals are applied to protect the fabric during shipping and storage and to give the fabric a nice appearance in the store.

Good luck and DON'T SCRATCH!!!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

My wife suggested to soak in in Woolite then run it thru a few rinse cycles in the washing machine.

Hammock
    11 foot gathered hexon1.7
    Tarp
    11 ft winter dutch
    Insulation
    TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Spider Straps 1.5
    Woolite is one of the mildest detergents, they suggest this for use
    on car upholstery. I do not know for sure that this will be fine on ripstop.
    Test a small portion first.

HurtHeart, your allergies flared up THROUGH your nylon slacks? Wow, those
    new seats must have had all kinds of chemicals on them.

Mic, did these rashes happen through your clothes, because it sounded like
    your shoulder was covered and so was your rear by shorts. Could it have been
    the material that you were wearing rubbing? I doubt it, just trying to rule out
    other possibilities.

Was this a new hammock? If yes, there's your probable culprit as many others
    mentioned, the chemicals used to treat the ripstop, OR perhaps even a dye
    that was used. Was this ripstop coated with anything?

My rear end was thru my clothes a major contact area. The arm and leg were skin on material contact as my shirt sleeve rides up and allows direct contact. It's something in the material. I'll have to give it a good wash and rinse.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Super Fly & HG
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie or Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mic View Post
    My rear end was thru my clothes a major contact area. The arm and leg were skin on material contact as my shirt sleeve rides up and allows direct contact. It's something in the material. I'll have to give it a good wash and rinse.
    I was going to ask if you had sprayed it with bug spray or something of that nature as well?
    Washing as described above will hopefully remedy the situation.

I haven't sprayed with anything. The problem started when I started sleeping skin to material. I'm sure washing will solve my problem. I wasn't sure whether the hammock should be washed. After this I think maybe I'll wash any hammock I buy or make.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast