Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Newbie... Hyperlite v. Deep Jungle

I am new to your world, and would like to give hangin' a try. Based on my location (Florida), and the fact that we have a good amount of bugs here, I am considerin' the Deep Jungle as an option (double layer = skeeter free livin' apparently...?) I am also weighing the possibility of a Hyperlite, most notably the ability to add the super-shelter if I desire (and about one pound less weight).

Can anyone help me in my decision here... do I go Hyperlite and just add another layer or spray with permethrin when the skeeters are thick, or do I go with the Deep Jungle and add layers or retrofit something when it gets cooler...? OR do I consider a completely different model (or manufacturer) for that matter.

Certainly may end up with multiple hammocks in the future, but would like to get the most versatile that I can for starters.

Images
    FYI - the supershelter will fit the Deep Jungle, just get the correct size (# 1 for Deep Jungle; # 2 for Deep Jungle XL).

Thank you Roche. I was on the phone with HH earlier today... besides their web-site specifically stating (on the Deep Jungle description) that they recommend not going with the DJ for four-season, the sales person confirmed that as well... are they not telling the whole story?

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    i have a slightly used 7 month old survivor in digital camo with tarp id sell for 250.its bottom entry.pm me if interested

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    I used the hyperlite on the entire AT.
    Not once in 6 months did I ever have a mosquito problem.
    And I am not a fan of Deet or anything of the like. Just feels yucky on my skin and god knows what it does to materials. ( I did see some lettering come off a Nalgene bottle when someone who had applied Deet rub up against the bottle.)

there were maybe 2 night where the skeeters were out in droves.
    But I easily made my way into my HH, and all was good.

Hope this helps

oh- and for FLORIDA, you might only need a ZRest from Thermarest. I used that after winter in GA. No need for an UQ.
    At least, that was my experience. I made sure my tarp was pretty taut and close to me. That adds several degrees.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hanginvirgin View Post
    Thank you Roche. I was on the phone with HH earlier today... besides their web-site specifically stating (on the Deep Jungle description) that they recommend not going with the DJ for four-season, the sales person confirmed that as well... are they not telling the whole story?
    Huh, so their website does states If you are looking for a 4 season insulation system, we reccommend the SuperShelter 4 Season System with a single bottomed hammock as a better choice. I've used the SS with the Deep Jungle XL on an extremely windy trip in the Linville Gorge back in Jan/Feb. I don't think the air temp got below 30 (not what you think of for 4 season) but it worked fine. I did not use the double bubble pad in that set up.

What was HH reasoning for not combining the SS with the DJ?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    It is interesting the way they talk about it on the Hennessy site. Taken from the description of the Deep Jungles on the HH site:
    Designed to be used with the new Radiant Heat Reflecting DoubleBubble Pad which attaches to "o" rings between the two fabric layers to hold the pad on the correct diagonal. Remember that even jungles can get chilly at 4:30 in the morning and surprisingly cold at altitude. If you are looking for a 4 season insulation system, we reccommend the SuperShelter 4 Season System with a single bottomed hammock as a better choice
    What strikes me as odd, is the recommendation for a single layer specifically. I wonder why? Is there a benefit to using the SuperShelter with a single layer over a double?
    Trust nobody!

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I have a Deep Jungle XL. Never a problem with skeeters, and I enjoy the comfort of the roominess. I'm wonderign why you would want a 4 season in Florida. The climate is a good deal like Texas and 3 season is usually good enough. If it gets down below 30* we just wait till next weekend when its going to be 50*.

FWIW, I think that you will end up wanting an underquilt before you're through. I gave up on the bubble pad that comes wcith the DJ for hiking as its just too bulky. Works OK for car camping, but something as ompressible as down or even synthetic packs easier. AHE makes one especially for Hennessey Hammocks.

If I ever do go out when its going to be around 30* or below, I an just use the bubble pad in conjuntion wth my AHE Potomac and a fleece mummy bag liner inside the hammock with a good top quilt and I an do 20-25*.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    It is interesting the way they talk about it on the Hennessy site. Taken from the description of the Deep Jungles on the HH site:

What strikes me as odd, is the recommendation for a single layer specifically. I wonder why? Is there a benefit to using the SuperShelter with a single layer over a double?
    I've always wondered about that myself. I kinda figger its marketing of somekind, I just can't figger the advantage. Prolly sells a few extra Super Shelters that way. I'd rather use a UQ.

Great comments everyone... thank you!

The reason (at least implied) by the folks at HH were that the SS would not "fit" the DJ.... it appears that may not be the case, based upon the feedback I see here.

The reason for the four season (living in Florida) concern is that it still can get a bit cool hear in the winter season (30 - 40 is not uncommon overnight) as well as the desire to use it when I head elsewhere (BWCA in northern MN a couple weeks ago = 30* at night).

On the other hand, I was in Ocala National Forest this past July, so I am just trying to get the most bang...

Sounds like Sargevining is recommending the Potomac UQ anyway. How does that compare to the SS.... anybody?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast