Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap

Help! Choosing the Right Hammock For ME!

My head is spinning much like the children doing rolls in Jiblets 'Spinning Cocoon' thread.

I've been reading here for a long time, looked at reviews and spreadsheets, looked at more manufacturers' sites than I can count and I'm still confused.

Here's the important personal stuff:

5' tall, weight definitely under all manufacturers weight limits (yes I'm female and no I don't tell anyone my weight)...

So length of hammock and weight limits are not a concern.

Side sleeper - actually I do more this side, that side, on my back, try another side sleeping than anything else.

Don't like to feel confined at all so I want height/space between me and bug net and don't want to feel like I'm in a cocoon in the hammock.

What I do know I want:

Side entry
    removeable bug net
    separate ridge line for fly.
    No integrated fly - I know what I want for that.

Not sure if I want a pad in a pocket (know I don't want it in the hammock with me) or whether I'd be happiest with an UQ (or both if needed for cold weather).

Budget is not a major concern, I'd rather spend the money once wisely than have to keep upgrading.

Weight is somewhat of a concern because I have to carry it but I have no intention of going UL, I want comfort over anything else.

And yes, I know it's going to have to come in from the US, shipping is not a problem unless the vendor won't ship across the white line on the map.

If you were me, what would you be buying?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    I tried really hard to come up with a really great answer to "If you were me, what would you be buying," but I failed in the most miserable way possible.

That said, I really love my ENO.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    ENO hammock. soft feel on the skin, no bug net open top. add bug net of your choice when needed. i would remove the stock rope and caribiner it comes with.and i have never had trouble sleeping on my side in it.
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG CF W/ doors
    Insulation
    EE above and below
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopie hook
    this is a good question, maybe consider a DIY route? i'm sure the DIY subforum has some sort of template to determine the length and width requirements. I'm only 5'7" and 200lbs, i feel like my ENO DN is a tad overkill, I'm sure i could shave some extra materials and save on the weight in my pack.

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    eno makes a single version also. that is what i use. i am 5'3" and i am still using my original one..(almost 13 yrs old ):d
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    Guardian bug net
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    I'm going to jump on peanuts ENO bandwagon. The initial investment isn't going to break you even after swapping the stock steel with 2 small climbing rated aluminum carabiners. Once you get the sag right for you, side sleeping is no problem (nor just about any other position). As stated, you can add the bug net and tarp of your choice when you're ready. Also consider that Amsteel is not terribly expensive when you consider the size/weight to load bearing capability ratio and is really easy to work with if you decide to go the DIY route and make your own suspension.

Just my $0.02
    If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    You might wanna check out Papasmurfs hammocks. He does a model that the bugnet that unzips from one end and down the sides. It's stowed at the other end in a self contained pouch. Other than that you could do a Switchback and send off to 2QZQ for a zipper mod. Any traveler model and a bug net sock would give you flexibilty too. I do a WBBB in buggy weather and a Lite Owl in the cold months. They are both double layer and allow for pads in between the layers, although my preference is for underquilts.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    Sheltowee Boone DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    30*HG UQ/ 40*UGTQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by HamMike View Post
    You might wanna check out Papasmurfs hammocks. He does a model that the bugnet that unzips from one end and down the sides. It's stowed at the other end in a self contained pouch. Other than that you could do a Switchback and send off to 2QZQ for a zipper mod. Any traveler model and a bug net sock would give you flexibilty too. I do a WBBB in buggy weather and a Lite Owl in the cold months. They are both double layer and allow for pads in between the layers, although my preference is for underquilts.
    Try BIAS hammocks.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    There are a lot of hammocks for you to choose from. I suggest a basic model for your first one. Warbonnet Traveler comes to mind. The Dream Hammocks' Roaming Gnome might be nice as the bug net is stowable. And you will want a bug net. Good luck in choosing. Let us know what you end up getting.

S

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Greetings The Old Boot

Welcome to the forum from another Ontario Hanger.

Given your wish lists for a hammock, I would check out the Grand Trunks Ultralight Nano 7.

http://store.grandtrunkgoods.com/hammocks/nano-7

It's a 4' wide x 9' long gathered end hammock which should be just fine for your stated height.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast