WBBB 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    working on it
    Suspension
    webbing

Going from hot to cold

On a recent overnight trip, I started getting ready for bed and by the time I was in my hammock, I was dripping with sweat (I was not hot when I started). This time of year, I strip off to my underwear before getting in. After a while, I had cooled off enough to pull up a poncho liner I had brought with me. That worked well, but in the middle of the night, I got pretty chilly (I think it got down into the 60s) and it woke me up. I was able to tuck the liner up under myself enough to be mostly comfortable, but to be honest, I didn't sleep that well.

How do you deal with the problem of going from uncomfortably hot to uncomfortably cold, preferably without waking up?

Also, stripping off is fine when I am by myself, but it's not something I want to inflict on, say, my son's cub scout troop.

Thanks,
    Rob

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    If the temps are going to be cool enough overnight that I may get a chill I keep a fleece pullover (and sometimes fleece pants) in the hammock with me. If i get cold enough to be awoken I'll pull the extra layer, that has been prewarmmed in the hammock with me, and I'll nod right off to sleep.

If I'm really hot when I first lay down I push the UQ off to the side of my hammock until I cool off, then pull it back under me. It can take a little practice to pull an UQ completely across under your body without fulling waking up though.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Images
    You Sir, need a hammock butler.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    working on it
    Suspension
    webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    If the temps are going to be cool enough overnight that I may get a chill I keep a fleece pullover (and sometimes fleece pants) in the hammock with me. If i get cold enough to be awoken I'll pull the extra layer, that has been prewarmmed in the hammock with me, and I'll nod right off to sleep.

If I'm really hot when I first lay down I push the UQ off to the side of my hammock until I cool off, then pull it back under me. It can take a little practice to pull an UQ completely across under your body without fulling waking up though.
    I don't have an underquilt, although I do have an extra poncho liner. I need a bigger pack to bring that though. How do you move an underquilt from inside a hammock that only opens on one side, like the WBBB?

Thanks,
    Rob

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by redrob View Post
    I don't have an underquilt, although I do have an extra poncho liner. I need a bigger pack to bring that though. How do you move an underquilt from inside a hammock that only opens on one side, like the WBBB?

Thanks,
    Rob
    You might have to rig up some cord to pull it over, because it might be hard to reach otherwise. It's great when you can reach over both sides to push or pull as needed.

Needing this much versatility is when I have really appreciated a Pea Pod. Just start out with everything wide open if warm enough. If one side is gaping open wide enough it will allow outside air underneath the hammock also. Then just later start closing up as needed.

But, I have also had other systems pushed off to the side and then pull them under me when needed, which is an all or nothing approach, but usually works. Or on the Yeti, just push it up towards my head to start venting.

It's another of those things which are good to practice in the back yard before you need them in the field.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-02-2012 at 23:32.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    working on it
    Suspension
    webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by swankfly View Post
    You Sir, need a hammock butler.
    Not sure if this is a joke or not.

Thanks,
    Rob

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by redrob View Post
    Not sure if this is a joke or not.

Thanks,
    Rob
    I think it is indeed a joke. Or maybe not, maybe these hammock accessories are getting more and more advanced and expensive!

• + New Posts