Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Images
    It sounds like that is a lot of legal stuff with a big safty factor built in. That way when someone's 2000 lbs load breaks the strap and his load falls off of his truck, the company is not held liable.

Safety factors and equipment load rating are important. But the designers usually throw a safety factor on a product, then the legal types throw their safety factor on top of it.

Case in point I worked on a report for a 200,000 lbs load across a bridge rated much less. Everything came out fine.

Although I am not going to tell anyone to knowingly go over what a product is rated for. Each person needs to make their own choice on this one. I personally hang from places I do not want to fall from.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

I mentioned using the webbing for use with kayaks and got raked over the coals..most said it was to heavy compared to Ed's webbing. If that webbing works for you go with it. Don't worry about what others think.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    I mentioned using the webbing for use with kayaks and got raked over the coals..most said it was to heavy compared to Ed's webbing. If that webbing works for you go with it. Don't worry about what others think.
    I'm sure there are different thicknesses of polyester webbing that is probably a lot heavier than Ed's polypro. I have seen some stuff on Ebay with a 3500lbs breaking strength that would be way to heavy for suspension straps. The polyester webbing from these straps is a lot easier to work with than the polypro. It's more flexible and knots much easier. I haven't had and long term tests yet but for now I prefer this webbing to anything I have tried so far.

Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I was going to order some polyester webbing from the web when it hit me that most tie down straps are made from polyester.
    THANKYOU!

Being the cheap ******* that I am I live for tips like these! I happen to have some seatbelt-type tie-downs that weren't being used...guess they are now!

Joann fabrics had clearance camouflage 1" polypropylene webbing for 50 cents a yard. Dunno if that's nation wide or not, but worth a shot.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkysko View Post
    Joann fabrics had clearance camouflage 1" polypropylene webbing for 50 cents a yard. Dunno if that's nation wide or not, but worth a shot.
    you might want to be careful w/ that. i've broke the 1" stuff from wal-mart a few times.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    This weekend I saw that Big Lots had ratchet straps with camo 1200lb breaking strength polyester for $6 for 2 x 10' straps. I would have jumped on them but I feel I need a little more that 10' for my supports. FYI.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Homemade, gathered-end
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

Smile New Straps, good but not so cheap!

I looked at the ones at Harbor Freight. Then I checked at Home Depot and got the 1000 lb working , 3000 pound breaking straps. They are beside the less-expensive ones marked medium strength, like the loads you guys were talking about. They were marked "Industrial Grade," whatever that means. They are 18 feet long and 248.88 grams/8.772 ounces, or 15.555 grams/0.54825 ounces per foot. They cost 16.97 apiece. They're dark red, the only available color. They let me use their chain breaker to cut the hooks off of the looped end.

I realize that's a lot to pay for straps, but I've bought a number of sets of different types, they all stretched somewhat, and I want to be done for awhile.

FanaticFringer gave me a deal that would have ended up making him 20 cents total per buckle after postage. I'm glad that I paid him a little more than he asked for. That would have kind of stunk. Thanks again FF!
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 08-30-2007 at 18:49.

Images
    what do you know about working load vs. breaking strength with regards to hardware?

Quote Originally Posted by seuss View Post
    According to the Cordage Institute's Fiber Robe Technical Information and Application Manual Working Load is between 1/5 and 1/12 of a line's minimum breaking strength, depending on safety factors. In practice, I've rarely seen a working load that was less than 1/5. "Minimum Breaking Strength" is itself defined as being 2 standard deviations below the average tested breaking strength. I leave it to the engineers here to do whatever engineers do with this kind of information.

NOTE: Webbing is obviously different from "Fiber Rope" and the Cordage Institute is not a trade association for webbing manufacturers. Standards for webbing are set by the Web Sling and Tie Down Association. The standards for webbing (WSTDA-T-4) were revised last year. I haven't actually seen the new standards.

Images
    i've been testing several different types of polyester webbing. in general, i've found that anything under 1700 # or so has noticeable stretch. this is just in general. have not tested the harbor freight webbing. the weave of the webbing has alot to do with this as well. the stuff referred to as polyester backpacking webbing, even the heavyweight 1800# stretches too much b/c of the weave.

the best deal i've come across (at least for small quantities) is the 1" woodland camo polyester from www.owfinc.com it is 2000# and stretches very little. it weighs 6.1 g/ft, which is quite light for its strength, and a pretty reasonable weight in general.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast