Tarp Ridgeline & Hammock Suspension Interference

Trying to get this hammock camping thing nailed down. Currently I am using my Gossamer Gear Spinnshelter for testing, it does not provide the coverage that I am ultimately looking for but its what I've got for now.

The problem that I am having is that the hammock suspension is sitting along side the tarp ridgeline, thus when the hammock swings back and forth the suspension is interfering with the tarp ridgeline.

For what its worth I am using whoopie slings suspension and continuous ridegline. Should I be rigging differently?
    Last edited by cmich; 10-03-2012 at 15:48.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Typically the ends of the hammock should not be that close to the tarp. How big is the tarp?

One way of avoiding the two lines colliding is by creating a "V" with the tarp line that is going around the tree. The line starts at the tarp ridgeline tie out, goes around the tree and back to the same tarp tie out. The hammock suspension is then free to go to the tree inside the "V".

I don't use the "V" set up. On my set up, my hammock suspension is close to my tarp ridgeline but I set them off set to each other on the tree by an inch or two. Don't usually have any problems.

It will help when you have a larger tarp. Beside better coverage, it also means you can hang your tarp further from your hammock.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    As bubba mentioned, I offset my tarp and hammock tie outs on the tree by just a bit and it seems to help. If you can get away with it, you might try to raise your tarp just a bit more above the hammock.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

The spinnshelter tarp ridgeline is 86" (Approx. 7') and it is 72" wide (6'). The hammock is pretty close to the top of the tarp, but with a load the hammock sits below the tarp about 6-8". My hammock is 103" but the ridgeline is 85" so the ends are just barely protected by the tarp.

I am having a hard time understanding what you mean by offsetting. Do you mean that the suspension and the tarp ridgeline come off the tree at slightly different angles, or are you saying that my suspension is set too high above my ridgeline?

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 SL, WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, MacCat
    Insulation
    HG 40,20 Leighlo20
    Suspension
    whoop slings/hooks
    I use a truckers hitch or taut line hitch to secure the one end of the ridgline and a 9-biner at the other end to tighten to my liking. Then i put a slippery half hitch in there for support. this creates a V that will not hit the hammock suspension

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    First things first, find two trees closer together. It'll solve a lot of problems with set up.

Standard rule of thumb is 14-18 feet apart. Or a few feet wider than your tarp.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmich View Post
    The spinnshelter tarp ridgeline is 86" (Approx. 7') and it is 72" wide (6'). The hammock is pretty close to the top of the tarp, but with a load the hammock sits below the tarp about 6-8". My hammock is 103" but the ridgeline is 85" so the ends are just barely protected by the tarp.

I am having a hard time understanding what you mean by offsetting. Do you mean that the suspension and the tarp ridgeline come off the tree at slightly different angles, or are you saying that my suspension is set too high above my ridgeline?
    Offset meaning the tarp line and the hammock suspension do not line up if looking at them from above.

Yeah, as Gargoyle said, closer trees would definitely help.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    I know that tarp is not really designed for it, but have you tried using it as a diamond? You might get better coverage? If your tarp is only 1" longer than your hammock, you are almost surely going to get wet.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    DD Tarp 3x3
    Insulation
    GarQuilt/Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    first things first, find two trees closer together. It'll solve a lot of problems with set up.

Standard rule of thumb is 14-18 feet apart. Or a few feet wider than your tarp.
    +1

• + New Posts