Tarp
    D;Y;I
    Insulation
    incubator 0 deg
    Suspension
    tree straps
    Images

ride line question ???

they there ive got a WB DL T and am wondering if the structural ridge line is in fact structural as in if it hangs loose could the hammocks integrity fail or tear i am finding that i have a way better lye in the hammock when its loose im not so tall or heavy and am finding that i can lie more sideways when the ridge line is slack but am worried that it should be more tighter to take some of the strain from my weight also if i hang it so its tighter i am getting pinching in my calf from the foot area being to tight and not being able to lie as strait or flat

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    From what I understand, structural ridge lines should never be too tight. Griz explains this in one of his videos. The ridge line's sole purpose is to insure a certain amount of sag in the hammock. I thought mine would be super tight since I'm a big guy, but I've found that when I have it at optimal sag, it's actually quite loose.

I wouldn't worry about doing damage to your hammock from the looseness of the ridge line. I would always check the suspension lines since they are what's keeping you off the ground. If they're not fraying or tearing (and the ridge line won't do that to them) then you should be good to go!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    The term "structural" doesn't mean that it lends additional strength to the hammock. It simply provides shape, a fixed geometry if you will, to the hang of the hammock. Don't worry about the hammock failing.

If you hang the hammock with the ridgeline taut, it sets the amount of sag in the hammock. If you hang it loose, that simply means there is more sag. Since sag is an individual preference for comfort, there's nothing wrong with what you are doing. If you've settled on what feels best to you, then shorten the ridgeline so that it is taut at you desired level of sag. BTW, making the ridgeline longer, decreases the amount of sag.

Tightness of the ridgeline is a different animal. It only needs to be straight to set your sag and to hold your glasses
    However, some use it to be able to hang between trees that are too far apart, which puts a tremendous load on both the ridgeline and the rest of the suspension. In that case, make sure the suspension material used is robust and the trees are large.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    warbonnet traveler & eno DN
    Tarp
    D;Y;I
    Insulation
    incubator 0 deg
    Suspension
    tree straps
    Images
    thanks thanks guys for the help, explains what i needed to know and your saying if i shorten the ride line to take up the slack i have now, that will in a way set the hammock to the same sag every time i hang it, i have all the stock lines that came with the hammock i think its amm steel ridge line which seems to be knotted in one end, ill try to untie it and shorten it any hints as to how to make it an adjustable ridge line special knot to use or another way to do it cause i might be sharing this hammock with my dad and my set up might not suit him being a bit bigger than me

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by whazzzup View Post
    thanks thanks guys for the help, explains what i needed to know and your saying if i shorten the ride line to take up the slack i have now, that will in a way set the hammock to the same sag every time i hang it, i have all the stock lines that came with the hammock i think its amm steel ridge line which seems to be knotted in one end, ill try to untie it and shorten it any hints as to how to make it an adjustable ridge line special knot to use or another way to do it cause i might be sharing this hammock with my dad and my set up might not suit him being a bit bigger than me
    Some people use a whoopie sling for an adjustable ridgeline. whoopieslings.com sells an adjustable structural ridgeline too.
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Look here and look at the BB set up at around 3:00 for proper WB SRL set up (T or BB all the same same).

Learn something new every day...

• + New Posts