Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    What a gent! Just got your PM. I'll reply now...

Hammock
    DIY 12' GE Tablecloth
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've just emailed Zpacks to see what can be done about the tarp. I'll update with their response.

Meantime I'm with SouthernExposure and having a right old geek-off with the hammocks. Also being fattened up like a piglet for Christmas. Landed on my feet again!

Edit: This is Gobsh writing from Southern Exposure's account by mistake! Not always clever, am i?!

Hammock
    DIY 12' GE Tablecloth
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Images
    This is SouthernExposure.

Just a quick note to say that my wife and I have just hosted Gobsh for two nights and he has turned out to be a gracious, friendly and wonderful guest in our home. If you are near his path as he travels across the country to Los Angeles, please consider opening your home to him for a safe haven for a night or two. I believe that you too will find him to be most thankful for your generosity.

SouthernExposure

Zpacks were very helpful and apologetic and issued me a refund on the tarp with no quibbles. Good lads.

Now I've been able to borrow SouthernExposure's silnylon tarp while I look for a replacement.

Ideally I'd like the same design in a different material, which Zpacks don't make. All suggestions gratefully accepted!

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernExposure View Post

Meantime I'm with SouthernExposure and having a right old geek-off with the hammocks. Also being fattened up like a piglet for Christmas. Landed on my feet again!

Edit: This is Gobsh writing from Southern Exposure's account by mistake! Not always clever, am i?!
    Your idiom gave you away. Good to have you back. However, starting with Day 25 of the blog your idiom goes haywire (alien-speak translator unit made by Acer?), but the photos look good.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Well, that took me all of 30 seconds to open the blog and laugh out loud. There's certainly something to the English' humour!

It's not cycler specific but couchsurfing.org has, in the past, provided me a place to crash, food and conversation while wandering about the Southeast/West with only a day's notice.
    "For myself I hold no preferences among flowers, so long as they are wild, free, spontaneous.
    Bricks to all greenhouses! Black thumb and cutworm to the potted plant!" - Edward Abbey

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    Well, now that I have had 3 cups of tea whilst reading your past and present blog, here's hoping you got your computer fixed.
    And Joe at Z packs is one of thee best vendors around.

What did you decide on for a tarp?

I used a MacCat Deluxe on the Appalachian Trail this year.
    And just ordered a SuperFly. Doors are good

Safe journies.

I love all the colloquiallisms re: the dialects of each part of the country.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hey Gobsh,

Any update on your progress? You haven't updated your blog in a while now, I hope everything is going OK for you over there.

Chap(esse)s, sorry for the poor updating skills. Here's what happened:

I got to Jackson MS and had some bad news from home - long story short, I had to wire some money to help out. That destroyed my budget so I had no choice but to stop cycling and bus it to Phoenix AZ. I had planned Christmas there with Auntie Jackie but I needed to start earning again so I got my Korean employers to take me on earlier than planned. A week later I was in Seoul and I've been working insane hours since and sleeping 4 hours per night if lucky. That situation will calm down in February so I'll sit down and finish the blog.

I didn't get to try out the silnylon tarp in the end and because I was stopping the trip and needed the cash, I didn't see the point of buying my own again with the refund money. I will in the future, but for the time being I'm no longer a hammocker.

I'll post again once I've finished the blog. Thanks to all for reading and special thanks to those who took me in and treated me like family. I left the US with a much improved opinion of its inhabitants! Still 50-50 on its beer, however.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast