HH Safari Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

Hammock on the way!

Hey all,

I'm looking to join the growing ranks of hangers, and I am thoroughly impressed with this site! I'm 6'3, 205 lbs and I am looking at the Hennessy Explorer Deluxe and the Safari Deluxe as options. I'm leaning toward the Safari at the moment because I like the idea of having extra room. Has anyone slept in both? Is there a big difference? The extra weight of the Safari is holding me back and I wonder if I'd be just as comfy in the Explorer.

I know it comes down to individual needs and comfort, but any insight would be helpful.
    Last edited by Dmatt72; 10-06-2012 at 10:57. Reason: No longer looking for a hammock

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I've slept in both and the Deep Jungle and I actually prefer the Deep Jungle. I have the DJ XL and it is very, very nice. The dimensions aren't far off the Safari. Good luck with your decision.
    If you are only considering the two, it depends on how you will use it, for backpacking or car camping? Backpacking the Explorer, car camping the Safari.

Hennessey has their odds & ends sale and may have a Safari or an Explorer still available. Recommend you call them to see what is still available.

Good luck!!!
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    HH Safari Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Thanks for the input. I'll be much more on the hiking/backpacking end, that's why I'm wondering if the extra room is worth the extra weight. One pound seems so miniscule at the trailhead...

I'll check out the Hennessy list. Thanks again.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    ive got a hennessy survivor 3 lbs with the tarp id sell at a good price.its like new no damage at all.pm me if interested.its digital camo

Images
    I am 6'1" and every bit of the 250 weight limit on my Explorer UL, and I am very pleased. In fact I bought another one from the sale list this week(an expl ul zip model this time. I have been wanting to try one).

That said I have not tried a safari. The weight was what drove me to look for an UL, because I wanted it for backpacking. At about 4 lbs if I remember corectly, I never really even consider a safari. If weight is not an issue more room probably would be nice.

BillyBob will probably weigh in here when he sees this thread. He has both, and is a great source of information.

Ragnall

Hammock
    Grapenut DIY
    Tarp
    HNO Airship
    Insulation
    Leigh-Lo
    Suspension
    Always
    If you are going with Hennessy I give a +1 on the Deep Jungle!!!
    Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
    Healthy, free, the world before me,
    The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    Quote Originally Posted by hairbear View Post
    ive got a hennessy survivor 3 lbs with the tarp id sell at a good price.its like new no damage at all.pm me if interested.its digital camo
    its bottom entry like new id get you started in it for 200,there are no tree straps i lost one ,use the other to hang my pack.be a cheap way to get in the water and see what you like at that price you could resell it later if you like something else better.tarp is great no signs of wear with the draw sack it came in.you pay shipping.have put in double ridge line so the ridge line length can be almost doubled in length.this alows the bug netting to lay flat in the bottom of hammock.now you can flip it over and lay on the bottom of the hammock with no bug screen to deal with,makes it like a grand trunk type hammock .not a bad deal you get two hammocks in one for 200.ill take the loss and think of it as money well spent to bring another hanger into the flock.
    Last edited by hairbear; 10-05-2012 at 16:08.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Another plus 1 on the Deep Jungle. I'm 205# 5'-11 or 6'-0, depending on who's measuring and day of the week, and there's plenty of room.

Hammock
    HH Safari Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I'm so excited right now... My wife somehow figured out what I was looking for(I'm sure the 24/7 research for 10 days non-stop contributed to this...subtlety was distinctly absent) and has ordered me an early birthday present! HH Safari Deluxe is on the way and will be here on Tuesday.

Thanks to all that were working to help me get set up, and I greatly appreciate the lengths folks on here were willing to go to help! I'll have from Tuesday to Friday to play around practicing, and my first hang outing is next weekend.

I appreciate all of the offers that I received.

• + New Posts