HH Asym Side Zip
    Tarp
    Siltarp II/HH Hex
    Insulation
    Window reflector
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Putting Away Your Quilts During the Day

I'm still new to the quilt thing, I took my new SS UQ out in August and it worked great but seemed to get damp during a day of heavy rain. I think this was just moisture in the air as the tarp coverage kept everything else dry. At the time I made a note to pack up my quilts during the day to avoid this.

I just got back from a fall trip where I had brought my even newer HG 20*F UQ&TQ which make use of the new dual suspension system. As a result I have to take down the hammock to put the UQ on or take it off. I ended up leaving it on the one day that we stayed put and even though it rained a little it did not seem to get damp (though it didn't rain nearly as much).

So I don't know if I lucked out this time, because it didn't rain all that hard, or if it was just a freak occurrence the first time my UQ got wet. So I thought I'd ask all of you what you do, do you leave the UQ on during the day or pack it up to keep it safe and dry? Also, I'm aware of the UQ cover from 2QZQ, just not looking to spend any more money right now (I've already blown $650 on down quilts in the last month...)

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by psilokan View Post
    Also, I'm aware of the UQ cover from 2QZQ, just not looking to spend any more money right now (I've already blown $650 on down quilts in the last month...)
    Oh, stop your moaning! My wallet still hurts from the UQ/TQ purchase!

If humidity is high, I could see how the quilts might absorb some moisture, though I've personally never experienced much dampness of down from the air. One would think just hopping in there, your body heat would bake the moisture out fairly quickly.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    I am not familiar with the SS UQ, but the HG should have DWR on the shell, which will help keep the moisute out of the down, unless your talking about just the outside being wet/damp. Most of the ti e, I have left mine on, but can't remember it raining alot during the day. Most times, the rain came through at night and the days were fine.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    If its damp air, fog or heavy rain then it definitely gets covered or packed. I'm now tending to leave my underquilt and top quilts inside my hammock or between the layers whatever the conditions.

Images
    Marty's "Lazy Slug Tube" should solve your problem during the day.

http://wildernesslogics.com/THE-LAZY...-Lazy-Slug.htm
    Talmadge
    "GroundHog"

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    I tend to just leave my UQ hanging under the hammock once its set up. I made my own UQ protector/weather shield out a spair bit of silnylon. So I don't need to worry much about it. But before I had the UQP I left my quilts hanging unless it was side blowing rain coming under my tarp.

Could the wetness in your quilt been form splash back? Heavy rain tends to like jumping back up onto quilts I've noticed. And this would account for more than just a mild condensation on the outer layer.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by GroundHog View Post
    Marty's "Lazy Slug Tube" should solve your problem during the day.

http://wildernesslogics.com/THE-LAZY...-Lazy-Slug.htm
    thanks for posting that ive been thinking for a while to make some bigger snakeskins to leave my u p and sleeping bag with the hammock when packed you just saved me the pain of figuring it out.bought mine in the black for quicker drying.now i can toss the stuff sack and go with the trash compactor bag to shave some weight.thanks alot ground hog.

Hammock
    HH Asym Side Zip
    Tarp
    Siltarp II/HH Hex
    Insulation
    Window reflector
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    It could have been splash back, that's something I considered. But I had the tarp pulled down pretty low and the rain wasn't really driving in from an angle. It was very damp that day, with all the moisture in the air, and nothing really seemed dry.

It's good to know that the Hammock Gear quilts use DWR on them, I didn't realize that. Those I didn't really have any problems with, they felt damp on the surface but I recall thinking that I couldn't tell beyond that. With the Wilderness Logics UQ I recall thinking otherwise, I'll have to check with Marty to see what it is they use.

Still not sure if I'lll pack mine away, seems like a good idea if it's going to be a rainy day though. Does down actively absorb water? I know it loses thermal abilities when wet but know nothing about if it absorbs water readily.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I don't believe down will actively absorb moisture in the air but it can become damp when the conditions are right for condensation. I've read that in mountaineering it's a good practice to immediately stuff your sleeping bag after you get out of it in the morning. That way you push out the warm, damp air from your body before the bag cools and the moisture condenses and possibly freezes.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    In August near the Nantahala I had to use a Wilderness Logic's Slug Tube during the day because it's ALWAYS foggy there. It really helped keep everything from feeling damp. That weekend I killed a watch on the river, nearly killed my phone by just having it in my hammock over night and even my WP camera got some moisture in it! The issue there is the combination of warm air and frigid water from the dammed controlled river that is deep down in a gorge and sees little sun. But my down was golden thanks to Marty!
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast