more questions from newbie........

many of you have seen me asking questions over on WB. now I have some for here too.

I have tents and an ENO hammock.

I am starting my thru-hike in like 3 weeks,

I am considering using the hammock as my shelter.

I have a tarp and am able to put it up and use it no problems.

I will either make or buy and under quilt. or maybe a homemade pea-pod type thing.

so, my questions are as follows.

do you still use a sleeping bag in the pea-pod? i'm guessing you do with an underquilt. or use these quilts you wear(i have seen the pix, jrb stuff i think)
    or just an overquilt ( fancy word for blanket?)

what is the 'diagonal' that I have seen mentioned a few times?

what is the purpose of the ridge line?

and is it possible to go from springer in march with the hammock set up as the only shelter?

Thanks everyone,

pt

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jettjames View Post
    so, my questions are as follows.

do you still use a sleeping bag in the pea-pod? i'm guessing you do with an underquilt. or use these quilts you wear(i have seen the pix, jrb stuff i think)
    or just an overquilt ( fancy word for blanket?)

what is the 'diagonal' that I have seen mentioned a few times?

what is the purpose of the ridge line?

and is it possible to go from springer in march with the hammock set up as the only shelter?

Thanks everyone,

pt
    1 - There's TONS of different ways to go about keeping warm in a hammock. From the simplest, least learning curve (a wide pad and sleeping bag inside the hammock) to the more complex (underquilts, peapods, etc.). I try not to use a sleeping bag if I can help it - the insulation in the bottom of the bag gets compressed and doesn't work properly (this is true on the ground too) and is thus just extra weight you don't need. If I DO use a sleeping bag, I lay it over me, open, like a really wide quilt. That allows me to use all the insulation instead of just what's on top.

Top quilts are a good way to go. I haven't used a Peapod myself, but most reports I've seen say that in cold weather (30* or below), additional top insulation is required. There's a thread on this topic. Both JRB and Speer offer fully constructed down top quilts - very good products from what I've seen/heard. Another good option on top is to make your own RayWay synthetic top quilt.

And by the way, quilts aren't the same as blankets - blankets are generally solid materials, while quilts incorporate a sandwiched layer of separate insulation, and QUILTING, which holds everything together in the middle of the piece. Sleeping bags are actually just wrap-around quilts.

2 - "Diagonal" with reference to a hammock means sleeping on the diagonal rather than straight down the center of the hammock body. Basically, you use a slightly wider hammock, with your head/shoulders on one side of the centerline and your feet/legs on the other. This allows you to lay flatter rather than the typical "U" shape. I personally prefer the "U" myself, but most don't.

3 - Ridgelines can be either structural or non-structural. A non-structural ridgeline is pretty much just a place to put stuff - things you want to get to while in your hammock. A structural ridgeline is under tension, and insures that your hammock is hung the same way every time - no adjustments to get the right personal comfort level. Hennessy hammocks, for example, incorporate (their patented) structural ridgeline, while Speer hammocks don't.

4 - I believe there have been a few thru-hikers who have exclusively used hammocks. There are several going this year too - talk to Hammock Engineer.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    good answers, blackbishop.

I will add that some think that you wear the JRB stuff to bed- no, "wearage" is an added bonus, you sleep under it like a quilt/doona/duvette/etc (a wickedly light and warm quilt, too!)

As long as you have tarp skills, and have yourself well insulated (remember underneath you!) the rest is just comfort tweaking stuff.

Have a great thru- there are lots of folk here that envy you!

titanium_hiker
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Images
    I'll throw something out.

What type of hammock are you going to use? How much hammock experience do you have. I ask that because hammocking has a little learning curve. Not impossible or really hard just different. You you have time to test and experiment before you leave, you will be fine. I personally do not want to take any piece of gear that I am not fully confident in its use. IMHO the first night on the AT is not a place to be learning how to use something. But others would disagree.

Having said that, I am going planning on using my DIY hammock the whole way. I am planning on starting April 1st. There are 4 or 5 other hammockers out there starting. I think we will be way out numbered by tenters/shelter users/tarp people. I am curious to see how many other hammockers I run into.

On the pea pod. In colder temps you are going to need a top blanket at colder temps. I have not used one, I use a JRB nest right now, but that's what I have read on them. Jeff did a really nice write up on them in another thread.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i have to second what hammock engineer said, there are a few things you need to learn before setting out on the trail w/ a hammock... especially in winter.
    not that you can't learn it before then, but you really need to spend time w/ your system & get familiar w/ it.
    the pea pod is definitely a fine product that has more forgiveness than other methods of insulation & is very versatile over a wide temp range. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Good answers...just want to reiterate that starting a thru in March with an untested system can be dangerous. It's not hard, but you need to learn a few skills first. Don't wanna get caught in a Smokies snowstorm and not know the ins and outs of staying warm in a hammock.

But three weeks may be enough time if you start now and stay busy.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Thanks everyone. great answers. I am staging at my parents farm since i closed down the apt in DC. I will be spending the next few nites trying out some things.

as for tarp skills, man do I have tarp skills. I used to be a paratrooper and we went out in ALL weather with just a poncho and poncho liner. but now days I like a wee bit more comfort. I can hang one hell of a hooch.

Was going to make my own under quilt, but have found that the material, thinsulate, is expensive, about 100 bux. almost better to just buy the pre made one for 250 or so from jrb?. then I know it is done and done right. Any other recomendations for an underquilt?

( and is the The "Old Rag Mtn" Down Quilt an over/under combo? am i understanding that right?)

I have a ENO hammock that I am using this weekend, as long as i get the under quilt in time.

man I am getting excited.

pt

special thanks to blackbishop for some informative thought out answers. Much appreciated!

pt

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jettjames View Post
    special thanks to blackbishop for some informative thought out answers. Much appreciated!

pt
    No problem - that's what we're here for!

Quote Originally Posted by jettjames
    Was going to make my own under quilt, but have found that the material, thinsulate, is expensive, about 100 bux. almost better to just buy the pre made one for 250 or so from jrb?. then I know it is done and done right. Any other recomendations for an underquilt?
    If you're not worried about a little extra bulk/weight - and you can sew - take a look at Patrick's directions for the synthetic KAQ underquilt:

http://www.kickassquilts.com/Home.html

I've made one pretty close to his design and it was really easy. Just a thought. And by the way, Thinsulate isn't what you want for a quilt. It's really made for clothing, and I've heard mixed feelings on it anyway. Patrick and Ray Jardine both recommend Polarguard 3D, but it's a little hard to find right now. The best alternative I know of at the moment is Climashield XP from Thru-Hiker:

http://www.thru-hiker.com/materialsS...2&txtCatName=2

I have some Climashield and some Polarguard and they look about the same for quality. I haven't made a quilt out of yet though, so I can't vouch for its performance.

Quote Originally Posted by jettjames
    ( and is the The "Old Rag Mtn" Down Quilt an over/under combo? am i understanding that right?)
    It is - if you mean it can be used either way. I just got one and used it underneath last weekend - worked great! If you mean it's both at the same time, no. Then you're talking about something like Ed Speer's Peapod:

http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/PeaPodSystem.htm

I'll second everyone's assertion that you should have plenty of experience with whatever equipment you use BEFORE embarking on the cold-weather part of your thru. You really need to KNOW if you can stay warm with what you have.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    Myself I would get something with about 2" of insulation underneath. Something rated to 30 degree or a little higher. That and all you need is a cheap ccp to make it well into the teens or single digits (the way I sleep). Through in some sort of top insulation and you are good to go.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

• + New Posts